The Malik Report

Videos- Recap Of Detroit’s 6-1 Loss To The Chicago Blackhawks

from Marlowe Alter of the Detroit Free Press,

Detroit Red Wings first-round pick Michael Rasmussen scored his first NHL goal Thursday night in Chicago. That was about the only bright spot, as the Wings were smothered by the Blackhawks, 6-1, in their third exhibition game of the preseason.

Rasmussen scored off his own rebound in the second period to cut the deficit to 4-1.

Petr Mrazek was in net for the Wings (0-2-1), and stopped just 34 of 40 shots.

continued

Below, watch the Rasmussen goal and complete game highlights...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

This one went pretty much how I thought it would when I saw each team’s lineups. The Wings were totally dominated. How they managed the 39 shots they allegedly got, I don’t know. The game was not close at all.

Bright spots: Umm…Rasmussen scored? Mrazek kept Chicago’s goal total from reaching double digits with some really nice saves? That’s all I got there.

Cholo looked much more overmatched than the Boston game. Sheahan was invisible. The defense was really bad. The Chicago broadcasters said Green was making lazy and dumb plays at one point. But like I said, overall outcome was expected.

Posted by Ilovekermit on 09/22/17 at 07:26 AM ET

Looked like D. Booth trying to take credit for Ras’s goal.

Posted by Matt_in_MI on 09/22/17 at 08:14 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Petr Mrazek was in net for the Wings (0-2-1), and stopped just 34 of 40 shots.

My guess is that Marlowe isn’t a hockey writer and was covering for someone’s vacation.

Posted by ilovehomers on 09/22/17 at 08:33 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

And by “isn’t a hockey writer” I mean:

Didn’t watch the game, wouldn’t know what he is seeing anyway.

Posted by ilovehomers on 09/22/17 at 08:34 AM ET

Haha I thought the same thing Homers. “Just” 34 saves. He was totally hung out to dry. I actually thought Mrazek did decently well under the circumstances.

Posted by Ilovekermit on 09/22/17 at 10:10 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Agreed, the goals were not on Mrazek.  On the 1st goal, an elite goalie stops that puck with the rebound (if any) heading to the strong post, his goes weak, easy, outside of that, he had no chance on the other 5, on the 6th goal, he gets 3-4 rebounds? How did they determine no goalie interference on the other?

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 09/22/17 at 10:23 AM ET

Murray, they apparently missed the interference on the ice, and there is not video review for all pre season games. This one didn’t have review, so Blashill couldn’t challenge for goalie interference, which I think it is clear he would have won, as Mrazek’s entire left side was hooked and he couldn’t move properly to attempt to stop the rebound shot.

Posted by Ilovekermit on 09/22/17 at 10:32 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

That Rasmussen goal - talk about PATIENCE holding onto the puck until the last minute, and continuing to crash the crease to finish the job.

I’m trying not to get excited about a kid we just drafted but gee whiz my nips are hard.

Posted by TreKronor on 09/22/17 at 10:35 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by Ilovekermit on 09/22/17 at 10:32 AM ET

Ah thanks, I don’t have sound on the highlight video, it looked like they reviewed it.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 09/22/17 at 10:36 AM ET

Colin's avatar

You could see the blowout coming when the roster was released.

Defense was shit. Ericsson looked like a pylon in all situations. Nobody knows how to clear the front of the damn net as usual.

Mrazek was very good aside from the first goal, he was hung out to dry for the rest. Even still, I predict a HSJ “article” about how Mrazek might get passed by Coreau on the depth chart.

Glad to see Ras getting a goal, and it was a very shrewd and patient play too. Take the defenseman out by looking pass, recognize your limited space, and give yourself a rebound off the pad. That’s a smart goal.

I’m starting to get concerned about Svech’s invisibility offensively. I know it’s preseason, but the kid needs to find the back of the net and soon before we sign Booth to an 8-year deal.

I want Frk’s shot on this team so very badly. He is a must have on the left point for the power play. I just wish he had a more complete game so we would actually play him.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 09/22/17 at 10:44 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Ras also made a very good play at the blueline to poke that puck away from that defenseman that played it HORRIBLY.

Posted by ilovehomers on 09/22/17 at 10:50 AM ET

SnarkinLarkin's avatar

That’s the kind of power forward drive-to-the-net play I was hoping to see from Ras. Good for him. I think it’s important for him to go bad to Tri-City and dominate, get his confidence back after the wrist fracture.

Nice shooting gallery practice for Mrazek. I think he’s warmed up now!

Booth has made some nice plays but no way he should be signed. Really a hard game to judge since the lineups were such a mismatch. When Sheahan is your only roster forward you know it’s going to be a long night.

Despite our record, the Larkin - Mantha and the Tatar - Nyquist pairings have looked strong. Looking forward to seeing a closer to prime time lineup to get a better feel where we’re at. Ah… preseason hockey!

Posted by SnarkinLarkin on 09/22/17 at 11:59 AM ET

I feel like I’ve heard this story before.

Posted by Vasha on 09/22/17 at 05:48 PM ET