The Malik Report

Video- The Detroit Water Issue And The Billionaire (Ilitch Family)

via FoxDetroit,

You've seen the protests; angry residents demanding that the Detroit water shutoffs come to an end. They say clean water is a human right whether you can pay the bill or not.

This edition of The Americans with Charlie LeDuff is a tale of two cities: One where the poor see their taps go dry and the other where the rules may not apply to the super rich.

watch the video below...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

That video has some myths in it.

Posted by mtuwingsfan on 07/29/14 at 10:28 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I thought this was a hockey blog.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/29/14 at 11:27 AM ET

Paul's avatar

TK, you must have missed the segment on the Ilitch family.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/29/14 at 11:29 AM ET

awould's avatar

I thought this was Paul’s blog, who can post whatever he wants. It does suck sometimes that we’re all forced to click on every link and read every post… oh wait a minute, no we’re not.

Posted by awould on 07/29/14 at 12:59 PM ET

A couple of ironic points.

Fox News would be the first to complain about how poor people are too lazy to get a job or a second job to pay their water bills if so I am glad to see they are going after rich people occasionally to show “balance”.

I love that the same big business that they love cradling with full support is also the same “people” most likely to pollute the “drinking water” source that the “reporter” couldn’t stomach. If he can’t drink that water then why would he expect the poor people of Detroit to drink it?

Finally, the majority of this “reporting” had a comical overtone. Should we as news consumers conclude that this whole piece is a parody?

Posted by howeandhowe on 07/29/14 at 02:01 PM ET

WingFanFormerlyInLA's avatar

A couple of ironic points.

Of course, some minor details, like it wasn’t Fox News….

It was Fox local…and this is the way Charlie LeDuff does his pieces.

Posted by WingFanFormerlyInLA on 07/29/14 at 02:36 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I thought this was Paul’s blog, who can post whatever he wants.

I mean as long as we are discussing semantics, I didn’t write anything implying I was upset with Paul’s posting this.

We must be bored today.  Cleary’s name hasn’t appeared on this thread.  Oops.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/29/14 at 04:05 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Paul and I had a discussion about this entry and we feel that it’s necessary to include some critical coverage of the rink construction. LeDuff is quite bombastic and can turn people due to his particularly acerbic nature, and this wasn’t 100% correct, but it was well-done—and Fox 2 may source some of their national coverage from the Big Red State News Machine, but Fox 2 is Detroit’s most liberal news station, too, and they don’t take their marching orders from Roger Ailles, nor does LeDuff.

We’re trying to be “balanced” here. I may be biased but if someone posits a critique of the rink that isn’t just complaining that Detroit pensions are being cut (which is false) or lamenting the state of the working class (sorry, Socialism Today, bringing class into it again…You’re not being repressed), well, “it’s news.”

This was “newsworthy.” A little acerbic and a little bombastic, but LeDuff tends to speak from his hard heart and he tends to embody the feelings of many Metro Detroiters.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/29/14 at 04:18 PM ET

Since Fox 2, or WJBK, has been owned by Fox Television Stations Group (beginning in 1996) and Roger Allies is Chairman of Fox Television Stations Group I’d say that Mr Allies has some control over what Mr LeDuff reports on and how. Whether or not he actually does act on his position over Mr LeDuff I don’t know. But, he could.

If a Fox owned station is truly Detroit’s most liberal news source then Detroit is in a more dire situation then I thought.

Thank you for showing a balanced look at your pet Detroit issues. It takes guts. It’s important to get “news” in a digestible fashion that allows people to draw their own conclusions rather than the usual sources with manipulative intent.

Posted by howeandhowe on 07/29/14 at 07:35 PM ET