The Malik Report

Video- Recap Of Detroit’s Win Over Pittsburgh Last Night

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Criticized for being too small for many years, the Detroit Red Wings now have some promising big men up front - one already a key player on the team and one who doesn't look too far away.

Anthony Mantha and Michael Rasmussen scored goals with nice power moves to the net Monday as the Red Wings defeated the Pittsburgh Penguins 4-1 in a preseason game at Little Caesars Arena....

The 6-foot-5, 225-pound Mantha, looking to build on an impressive rookie season, has been sharp in the preseason, with two goals and five points in three games. He gave his team a 2-0 lead by skating down the right wing and make a good move in tight to score at 6:21 of the second period.

Rasmussen, the 6-foot-6, 221-pound center selected ninth overall this year, notched his second goal in three preseason games to open the scoring at 13:14 of the first period, on the power play. He corralled the puck near the side of the net, skated out front and banged it past goaltender Tristan Jarry.

read on

Below, watch the extended game highlights...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

Theyve definitely figured out how to be B squads. Hopefully they can translate that into being competitive against NHL talent.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 09/26/17 at 07:59 AM ET

Paul's avatar

from Dana Wakiji and Art Regner of the Wings’ website,

Michael Rasmussen (power play), Anthony Mantha, Tomas Tatar and Xavier Ouellet (empty net) were Detroit’s goal scorers.

1. Anthony Mantha/Dylan Larkin: Wings coach Jeff Blashill put Mantha on Larkin’s line at the start of training camp to see if the two could create some chemistry in the early going. So far that has worked out. In the second period, Mantha drove to the net and beat Penguins goaltender Tristan Jarry. Dennis Cholowski and Larkin had the assists. In three preseason games, Mantha has two goals and three assists while Larkin has one goal and three assists. Blashill originally wanted Justin Abdelkader on that line but Abdelkader is nursing a sore groin so Martin Frk has played there the last two games. Larkin played 21:39, the most among the forwards, and finished plus-2 while Mantha played 17:33 and was plus-

1. Quotable: “Larkin and Mantha, they’re two real good players. I think they could be a real dynamic pairing for sure.” - Blashill

2. Michael Rasmussen: Coming out of camp, Blashill said that he would play Rasmussen, the Wings’ 2017 first-round pick, ninth overall, in at least one exhibition game. On Monday night, Rasmussen played in his third game, first at Little Caesars Arena.

read on

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/26/17 at 08:13 AM ET

Don’t forget Luke Witkowski. He had a number of lovely late hits that didn’t help anyone. He’s a real gem.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 09/26/17 at 08:28 AM ET

BladesOfSteel's avatar

wonder if Ram has earned the right to play in the AHL this season, I doubt it but a thought. Does the AHL have a similar rule like the NHL, player can play 9 games before burning a year of entry level before being sent back to junior?

I’d be ok with him going back to Junior, don’t think he’s NHL ready yet.

Posted by BladesOfSteel on 09/26/17 at 09:05 AM ET

I could be wrong but pretty sure Ras isnt old enough for the AHL yet. His options are only NHL or back to Jr’s. He could join the Griffs after his JR season is done because he will be 19. Im going to have to look that up

Posted by kwood15 on 09/26/17 at 09:31 AM ET

Guess he could play

What is the minimum age for an AHL player?
Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition.

Posted by kwood15 on 09/26/17 at 09:33 AM ET

Rasmussen has had a positive impact at times, while other times he’s been invisible. So I would reign in the enthusiasm. When you draft in the top 10 and the kid already has NHL-size, then at a bare minimum you should expect moments when he looks like he belongs. Maybe our fanbase has forgotten what it’s like to have a top 10 pick?

Personally I still don’t like the pick. It was a safe pick. We know he’s going to have an NHL career. We know that size will never be a problem. But the ceiling is just way too low. He’s a 3C, that might develop into a 2C. And likely never anything more than that. I’d prefer to swing for the fences looking for a 1C or a 1D. And if I swing and miss and end up with a bust, then so be it.

Posted by fatsavage on 09/26/17 at 10:08 AM ET

Why do you think his ceiling is so low… he was projected in the top 10, we didn’t just move him up there.  (Granted, his projects were quite all over the place, but either way for sure in the top 15-20).  So why do you think he maxes out at a 2C without barely seeing him play?

Posted by DieByTheWing on 09/26/17 at 10:10 AM ET

He can’t kwood. His junior team owns his rights after the NHL. If he’s not in the NHL, he plays in the juniors until he’s 20 as that’s the max age limit for the juniors.

Posted by benzanato on 09/26/17 at 10:10 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Kid is 18. Coming off of a broken wrist. In his first NHL experience.

He is going to the net. He and Frk actually showed some passion out there.

Yeah, i’m excited, and that is enhanced by all the tools that scrub him every chance they get.

Posted by ilovehomers on 09/26/17 at 10:21 AM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

Why do you think his ceiling is so low

What I read was that his 5v5 performance wasn’t so great, and that his game was limited to PP scoring close to the net, as opposed to creating scoring chances 5v5.

Posted by duhduhduh on 09/26/17 at 10:23 AM ET

Posted by DieByTheWing on 09/26/17 at 10:10 AM ET

I’m not the only person who believes his ceiling is low. Many analysts share that view. With his size, he should have been far more productive in his last season at Tri-City. 55 points in 50 games does not scream future 1C superstar. Many of those 55 points came on the PP where 178-pound d-men couldn’t move him. He parked himself in front of the net and was successful at banging in goals. Those are not skills that always translate well to the NHL. His primary assist totals at even-strength were terrible. Maybe his linemates couldn’t score? Or maybe his vision/IQ is lacking? Time will tell.

Again, his size takes away a lot of the uncertainty when drafting an 18-year old. But I just don’t think the ceiling is that high.

P.S. Watched him play numerous times in Tri-City and hoped we would look elsewhere. But thanks for assuming I’ve barely seen him play.

Posted by fatsavage on 09/26/17 at 10:24 AM ET

Went to the game last night, the arena is worth the trip alone.  One thing that did stand out was how bad Ouellet was.  George has mentioned X’s switch of stick/glove brands as the cause for his bobbles.  Unless he’s changed his curve, lie and kick point I’m not sure I’m buying that.

Posted by Steve1306 on 09/26/17 at 10:30 AM ET

Posted by Steve1306 on 09/26/17 at 10:30 AM ET

Agreed. The excuse of the equipment switch is downright laughable. The more likely scenario is he isn’t that special. He never was. He’s a 6/7 d-man at best, and our organization is loaded with them. Colorado is looking for d-men. I’d try to pawn Ouellet off for a 6th/7th round pick and open up a roster spot to give Sproul a look. And if Sproul can’t cut it after 10-20 games then waive him and take a look at Hicketts or Russo.

Posted by fatsavage on 09/26/17 at 10:41 AM ET

He was bbbbbbrutal last night. He stuck out like a sore thumb and never in a good way. I was actually upset he get the empty netter at the end of the night.

Posted by Probie4Prez on 09/26/17 at 11:12 AM ET

So far in 3 preseason games from what I’ve read he looked better than you and me expected. That’s a positive, let’s acknowledge and be happy about it. Yes, at times he is good and at times invisible, but we expected him to be a complete non factor at this point, right? Who knows how he will develop, but so far so good.

Posted by VPalmer on 09/26/17 at 11:16 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

That’s a positive, let’s acknowledge and be happy about it.

Not allowed!

Posted by ilovehomers on 09/26/17 at 11:18 AM ET

Benzanato thank you, thats what i was remembering but had it mixed up

Posted by kwood15 on 09/26/17 at 12:08 PM ET

Posted by VPalmer on 09/26/17 at 11:16 AM ET

I never expected him to be a complete non-factor though. That’s how I would categorize guys like Sadowy, Turgeon, Holmstrom…no future.

I’ve always said Rasmussen is a nice prospect. He immediately jumps above basically every single forward outside of say Svech. I’ve said he’s a sure thing to play in the NHL. Again, size helps a lot. So I fully expected him to have his moments in camp.

My only beef is that this is not what the organization needed at #9. We don’t need another 3C that might develop into a solid 2C. What we needed was to swing for the fences on a 1D or 1C. If we were picking #22 then I’d be perfectly fine with Rasmussen. But when you have guys like Vilardi, Liljegren, even a Necas or Valimaki still on the board, then I feel like you have to take a risk.

We literally did the exact same thing in 2010 with Riley Sheahan. The commentary at that time was…this is a safe pick, this guy is 100% going to make the NHL, he’s good at everything, but he’s actually not GREAT at anything. Size is already there. Skating is just OK. Offense is just OK. Defense is just OK. He’s a 3C that might develop into a 2C. I’m not saying Ras = Sheahan…but it was the same philosophy. Maybe in 2010 we could have taken a bigger risk. Kuznestov was another center on the board, but he might stay in Russia and he might be too small. So let’s take the safe pick in Sheahan.

Posted by fatsavage on 09/26/17 at 12:30 PM ET

As you probably know I am with you on taking a more risk/reward type of guy with #9 and would have gone with Vilardi or Liljegren. But we discussed this plenty of times already. Right this moment let’s enjoy the fact Ras looks good in the games he played and let’s hope he will surprise us in terms of his ceiling.

Posted by VPalmer on 09/26/17 at 03:41 PM ET

Posted by VPalmer on 09/26/17 at 03:41 PM ET

Kudos. I really mean that. It’s about time we realized this is what we have to root for and focus on some positive things.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 09/26/17 at 05:23 PM ET

SnarkinLarkin's avatar

I love that Blash had both Mantha and Ras play in the same game. I think it’s good for Ras to have a similar player to look up to. I think it also pushes each other. I don’t think it’ a coincidence seeing them both driving hard to the net and scoring goals the last couple games.

Although I would have rather seen KH grow a pair and trade up 2 - 3 spots to get Mittlestadt, I’m giving Ras a little extra slack since he’s coming off of a broken wrist. I’m excited to see what he looks like at season’s end if he gets a chance with the Griffins after his junior season ends.

It’s exciting to see 2 power forwards in the making… especially since our current “power forwards” are Abby and Sheahan.

Posted by SnarkinLarkin on 09/26/17 at 07:50 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by SnarkinLarkin on 09/26/17 at 07:50 PM ET

Ive never thought of it this way and now im ECSTATIC. Haha

Posted by ilovehomers on 09/26/17 at 08:02 PM ET