The Malik Report

Updated News On The Health Of Stephen Weiss Is Positive

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

The Detroit Red Wings have received encouraging reports on the progress of Stephen Weiss.

"(Trainer) Piet Van Zant texted him two days ago," general manager Ken Holland said. "He said he's feeling great, he's training hard; he's played some shinny (pick-up hockey). So far all reports are he's healed and ready to roll in September."

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

That’s like getting a free agent! Kenny, you are a genius, boy. A real genius!

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 07/11/14 at 03:34 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Positive news regarding the health of Zetteberg, Datsyuk, and Weiss, is fantastic to hear.

Depressing offseason aside, if the Wings can ice their actual lineup this season — while working in some of their young D — this could play out pretty decent.

Posted by SK77 on 07/11/14 at 03:36 PM ET

Good news.

I really do believe that Weiss was playing through pain from training camp.  Remember all the reports that the Franzen-Weiss-Alfredsson line just wasn’t “gelling” or “coming together”?  I think it was Weiss.

It still could be that he’s not a good match with Franzen or Alfie, but fortunately we have other exciting players to try alongside a healthy Weiss.  By which I mean Dan Cleary.

(But also Nyquist.)

Posted by captaineclectic on 07/11/14 at 03:37 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

We can hope for the best. I still see a trade coming for a defensman. It could be an indirect reason for the Cleary and/or Quincy signings. We can hope, can’t we?

Posted by bigfrog on 07/11/14 at 03:43 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I still have hopes for Weiss.  Still think he can be the #2 C he is supposed to be.  This year really is the litmus test for him now.

It being Piet delivering the news though does not exactly encourage me.

Posted by Primis on 07/11/14 at 03:52 PM ET

Hey, there’s always hope.

If in late August all of a sudden there’s a story that Detroit has packaged Johan Franzen, Brendan Smith, Justin Abdelkader, a first and Xavier Ouellet for Dustin Byfuglien and Evander Kane, then yes, these signings would at least reflect a strategy of some kind.

That is what they call a “thin reed”, however.

Posted by captaineclectic on 07/11/14 at 04:03 PM ET

DrD's avatar

The thing about Red Wings Nation these days is that even good news is treated with a fair degree of pissiness. Can’t good news ever just be good news? Do you really have to crap on every single story that gets posted here? Doesn’t it ever get exhausting to constantly put a negative spin on everything?

I get it, Ken Holland is an idiot. Babcock is a jerk and an idiot. Jim Nill is a genius. Dan Cleary should be decapitated. Jimmy Howard is bum. Quincy is worse than the worst d-man on every team in the league. Got it. Check. I’m with ya.

Just let me take in this tiny bit of good news and just take it for what it is…a tiny bit of good news.

Posted by DrD on 07/11/14 at 04:19 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

“The biggest thing is health,” Holland said. “If we can get to training camp (Sept. 19) and get Pav, Z, (Darren) Helm, Weiss on the ice we’re optimistic we got the potential to be a decent hockey club.”

Way to shoot for the moon, Kenny.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 07/11/14 at 04:20 PM ET

You mean when news breaks of a trade of Jurco, Tots and a 2nd for Boychuck?

Posted by benzanato on 07/11/14 at 04:22 PM ET

DrD's avatar

Well, I guess that answers that question.

Posted by DrD on 07/11/14 at 04:26 PM ET

Tracy from T-Town Hockey 's avatar

I for one find this encouraging.

Posted by Tracy from T-Town Hockey on 07/11/14 at 04:36 PM ET

igrover's avatar

Crikey - looking at that picture of Weiss I realized that I had forgotten what number he chose to wear last year.

Posted by igrover on 07/11/14 at 04:38 PM ET

DrD's avatar

@ Tracy from T-Town Hockey…Thank you.

Posted by DrD on 07/11/14 at 04:38 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

...

I don’t think this qualifies as news good or bad. The Wings trainer texted an injured player and that player texted back. No coaches, trainers or doctors laid an eye or a glove on him. Given that Weiss brought so much of this on himself by concealing the injury from the Wings during camp last year, I do not find a text message exchange newsworthy or particularly reassuring. Sorry if that sounds Debbie Downer to you.

I hope Weiss is healthy and has a great camp. We need every healthy goal scoring forward we can get to have a great camp so DFC doesn’t make the team.

Posted by DrD on 07/11/14 at 05:19 PM ET

The Wings front office used to be called the Brain Trust. But now that Nill, Bowman and Yzerman have left it’s just Holland. Holland is not an idiot, he’s just not very good at his job. With his supporting cast gone, it’s just now beginning to show. Loyalty is a nice trait to have in one’s personal life, but not in business, unless your business is “waste management.” cheese And Holland is loyal to a fault.

Babcock is a hard-ass coach. And like every other hard-ass coach in any sport over the last 15 years or so, the wealthy players he coaches will eventually tune out his shtick and the coach gets run out of town because it’s cheaper and easier to replace the coach. I give him a lot of credit since it’s much harder to be a hard-ass coach and motivate and coach millionaires than it was for coaches like Scotty Bowman to coach the middle class working stiffs with off season jobs at Canadian Tire in the 70’s. Babs just hasn’t been run out of Detroit because of the misguided loyalty thing.

We’re in a new era of coaching where players are treated as family a la Pete Carrol, Greg Popovich and Darryl Sutter. Good coaches these days get players to go to the mat for them by showing them love and respect, not by calling their players out in the media or screaming at them in the locker room. Yes, even Sutter. Look beyond the scowl and disdainful answers at press conferences and you will find a remarkable person.

Buckets doesn’t need to be decapitated, he just has no business being on this team anymore, and but for Holland’s misguided sense of loyalty, he wouldn’t be.

Howard is a good starting goalie capable of winning the Cup. He just needs a decent defense in front of him.

KFQ is not the worse D-man in the league, but he is a 5th or 6th at best on every team in the league. No teams were interested in him and yet Holland gave him a freaking raise. I get that Holland had to improvise once all the FA’s said FO, but giving a huge raise to a third pair D-man was a bad decision born of desperation.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/11/14 at 06:45 PM ET

DrD's avatar

@ CaptainDennisPolonich While I appreciate the non-hysterical breakdown you provided and I don’t disagree for the most part…you’re still doing a pretty good job of hammering home my original point.

I do disagree with you that this isn’t good news. It might not be the “we’re a lock for The Cup” level of good news that most people here are waiting for, but Stephen Weiss saying he’s all healed and ready for September is pretty damn good news to me - at least he has a chance to prove himself now and I don’t see any reason why he would lie, given that he already admitted he shouldn’t have pushed himself through the pain last year.

Posted by DrD on 07/11/14 at 06:53 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Fans aren’t paying to watch decent. Fans want a contender. Fans, are deserving of loyalty. Period.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/11/14 at 08:02 PM ET

My understanding is that Weiss was never healthy even in those 28 games he played, so I am somewhat excited to see what he can do healthy. Maybe he is quicker than he showed in those 28 games?  A lot of us thought we are getting an upgrade over Filpula, now I think we will be happy if Weiss is close to Filpula.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/11/14 at 08:22 PM ET

See, this is how bad the summer is.  Stephen Weiss apparently feels good and that’s met by some as “damn good news”.  He isn’t suiting up for a game, he hasn’t been medically cleared to play, he sent a text to say he’s feeling good.

Hasn’t there been a couple days worth of quotes saying Cleary feels great?  Is that damn good news too?

Don’t get me wrong, having a healthy Weiss contributing like he should have last year would/will be great news.

This?  This isn’t even news…

Posted by Garth on 07/11/14 at 08:52 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

“My back’s fine”, Z texts in.  Great.  Then no one has anything to worry about.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/11/14 at 09:47 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Posted by DrD on 07/11/14 at 05:19 PM ET

I guarantee you no matter what the blog subject, no matter what the day, no matter how the game went the night before, you will see fire Holland, ClearyandQuinceySUCK, and Babcock is terrible in the comments of every single Wings related blog for the rest of the season.

Stephen Weiss - the guy we are stuck with no matter what next year - is feeling better after a disastrously unhealthy first season. Of course it’s good news. Is it as good as the better news Garth describes? Guess not. But if “Stephen Weiss has a setback” is bad news, than “Stephen Weiss is NOT having any setbacks despite training hard as we rapidly approach training camp” would definitely be good news. He is by far the biggest question mark going into next season and could be a huge difference maker if he gets some of his old game back. I agree this year is a big test for him. This one year Cleary deal has infinitesimal consequences compared to this Weiss deal. We have him for awhile for a bunch of money. His failure to me will be Holland’s biggest misstep by far over the last couple years. But his success really would suddenly make us one of the most dangerous teams down the middle. A good place to be if the D can somehow get better despite not getting any better blank stare

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/11/14 at 10:01 PM ET

The fact Weiss feels good is very good news, but yes, the forums will be dominated by Cleary and Q because resigning those two shows a very troubling development for the franchise we all love and deeply care about.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/11/14 at 10:29 PM ET

[quoteBut if “Stephen Weiss has a setback” is bad news, than “Stephen Weiss is NOT having any setbacks despite training hard as we rapidly approach training camp” would definitely be good news.]

All I’m saying is that I don’t necessarily think the reaction is because of the negativity around the recent signings.

Before the Cleary signing, before the Quincey signing and before the colossal whiffs on all the UFAs Holland looked at, there were a lot of people who reacted negatively to the idea that Alfredsson wanted to come back.

If Detroit had criminally underpaid for, as an example, Matt Niskanen and Jarome Iginla, this ‘news’ would likely have been greeted with a general shrug and a few “I’ll believe it when I see it” comments, much like the comments people had when Helm was coming back from his last injury.

Why?  Because of recent history?  Or because a text saying “I feel great” really means nothing.  Weiss has played in 43 of his teams’ last 135 games.  I think people can be forgiven for not dancing in the streets before seeing him string a few games together and maybe put up a few points.

Posted by Garth on 07/11/14 at 10:59 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Garth, how is saying “that’s good news” casually in the comments section of the actual post about Weiss’ current condition equal to “dancing in the streets”? People have been angry and down over the team of late and so relatively, this is pleasant. Not that big of a deal.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/11/14 at 11:29 PM ET

it shows a relatively low-risk and low-consequence, semi-troubling development. Obviously not plan A. But far from this sky-is-falling nonsense, not with the young core we are developing. I’m sure everyone from Holland down would have liked to get a better dman for a couple years. I’m sure in a couple years if more than one or two of these prospects turn into high end NHL dmen, you will be thankful we don’t have some old guy tying up dollars longterm. Till then, we just wait to see what happens.

I get that the issue here is a matter of patience. Some of you seem to actually believe we are Jurco, Ferraro, and Niskanen away from being able to contend with the Kings, the Hawks, or even the Bruins. I think there’s a long game going on here. Quincey was overpaid, but the key was that it was two years. Cleary gets his year and his redemption chance while the Wings are trying to continue the playoff streak for their bottom line, which enables them to at least try to spend to the cap into the future. Meanwhile, Mantha, Pulkkinen, Larkin, Mrazek, a slew of dmen, plus Jurco, Tats, Sheahan and Gus are going to give us an incredible core in a few years. Throw in old men Z and Kronner (and I’d love to see Pav for more but I know he’s likely Russia bound) and maybe throw in some dman we get as a UFA next season or the one after that.

We are building a hell of team from within, where we can maximize player’s primes while paying them a relatively low salary. When you get a UFA, you overpay. When you develop from within, you tend to have a window where your best players are drastically underpaid (and then hopefully take a modest hometown discount for the rest of their career). That’s what the Hawks were doing… until last week. The Wings are not in that period yet and thus something like this Cleary loyalty signing is deemed the cost of doing business with the hope that it might play a small part in helping lure that veteran dman in 2015 or 2016 as the team gets closer and closer to being a genuine cup contender. Now, if a bunch of people overachieve beyond our expectations and come trade deadline the Wings are in contention for the presidents trophy, maybe you make a trade for a dman and go for it a bit more. Otherwise, making the playoffs, giving the kids experience and trying to get a little farther than last year is probably the management’s realistic expectation for this season. Does this Cleary signing drastically alter any of this? Not really. Ferraro and Callahan are going to be cut regardless, Jurco who happens to be 3 years younger than Nyquist, may go down, will tear it up and hopefully come up and tear up the NHL just like Gus did. Hell maybe it was the demotion itself that led to Gus’ scoring rampage?!

We’ll probably still get into the playoffs. We’ll hopefully do a little better. And we’ll go through this all over again next year (hopefully not the Cleary thing grin ).

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/11/14 at 11:16 PM ET

I’m not disappointed in this off season at all. With all their talented youth, they are a move or 2 away from competing like the rest. They’d be smart to trade Helm while he still has some value. I like the Petry rumor. But Babcock loves him. Let’s see where we stand once training camp closes. We still have plenty of assets in our toolbox.

Posted by Bushay on 07/12/14 at 03:58 PM ET