The Malik Report

Update After Detroit’s Morning Skate

Chuck Pleiness of Red Wings Front after the morning skate today,

“He’s playing tonight so that’s good for us, good to have him back,” Wings coach Mike Babcock said. “We just have to keep him healthy.”

Alfredsson has missed the last six games with lower-back inflammation.

“It feels great I mean it’s always frustrating to be out and now be able to skate like I have and have no issues it feels great actually,” Alfredsson said after practice. “You work yourself in, definitely keep it simple and short shifts to get into it. You can skate as much as you want in practice but it’s a different pace in game, more physical as well so trying not to get caught out there too long is definitely going to help.”...

“He’s a smart player, knows how to play,” Babcock said. “Helmer’s line struggled last game, so this gives him a chance.”

Alfredsson replaces Todd Bertuzzi in the lineup.

“Why don’t we just talk about the guys that are playing,” Babcock said when asked what he needs to see more out of Bertuzzi.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Pleiness with the latest on Weiss.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/24/14 at 01:10 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Pleiness with the latest on Weiss.

That’s great news. Weiss, a healthy Weiss, will be a fine 2nd-line center for us and we’re going to need him to get into 2nd or 3rd in the Atlantic.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 01/24/14 at 02:37 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

If he really was injured since before he got to Detroit, yeah, I agree

Posted by Zqto on 01/24/14 at 02:44 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

I was talking about Wiess, btw, just to clarify

Alfredsson has obviously played great with us, already

Posted by Zqto on 01/24/14 at 02:44 PM ET

Definitely happy to have Alfie back.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/24/14 at 03:11 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

“Today, it was going down in the butterfly, but in a controlled atmosphere out there and it felt pretty good.”

That was Howard.  Perhaps this rehabbing will help him mechanically become a bit better.  For a majority of the season, he has looked out of place.  Lately he has been improving, but still hasn’t been as good as the past couple years.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/24/14 at 03:50 PM ET