The Malik Report

Two VERY different takes on Niklas Kronwall’s hit and Pavel Datsyuk’s game-winning goal

I don't usually post video-only entries, but these beauties from the Red Wings' 3-2 OT win over Colorado merit time in the spotlight--and they merit time in the spotlight not only for the magnitude of their impacts, but also the ways in which the Avalanche's broadcasters on Altitude TV reacted to them, as opposed to Fox Sports Detroit's Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond.

Here's Niklas Kronwall's smoking of Jamie McGinn, first from the Avs' announcers...

And, via We All Bleed Red on YouTube, a very different take on the situation from Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond:

And here's Pavel Datsyuk's game-winning goal from the Avs' announcers...

And then Ken and Mick:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

d ca's avatar

Wouldn’t give it a second thought as I taped the game and you should hear how badly the Avs outplayed the Wings throughout the entire game according to the Avs broadcast. and the post game analyst were even worse. But it was cool to here Dueshene complain about the number of Red and White sweaters in the stands.

At the game it was fairly obvious the Wings outplayed them until the started playing on fumes. They only showed the replay once on the scoreboard and it was awesome. Wings fans outnumbered Avs fans at the game.

BTW Tootoo was trying to start a fight before the second Avs goal and was out of position… not sure that came across on the broadcast.

Posted by d ca on 04/06/13 at 02:07 AM ET

WEALLBLEEDREDD's avatar

as a guy who grew up with Hab fans, i grew to dislike the Nordiques and as a Wings fan i dislike the Avs…...so it’s that much sweeter to hear the silence and awkward comments on both Pavel’s goal and Jamie McGinn being Kronwalled from the Avs Feed…Thank you George!!!

Posted by WEALLBLEEDREDD from Vancouver on 04/06/13 at 02:43 AM ET

Bugsy's avatar

1. No Avs announcers, that’s typical (at least more in the past) of what Kronwall’s all about, not the series. At least it got a yell out of the Avs announcer(s).
2. As Khan noted, Wings now 7-2-1 in the second night of back to back games.
3. My favorite quote from the Khan story is from Datsyuk:
“Z passed to me, I tried to position for shot; he give me time to make move in front of the net,’’ Datsyuk said. “I followed rebound and jammed it. (Tomas) Holmstrom goal.’‘

Posted by Bugsy on 04/06/13 at 02:50 AM ET

Tuba Guy's avatar

I really felt the Kronwall hit was a bit too much. He can get a bit too carried away at times and leaves his feet too frequently. To top it off, it looked like he nearly concussed himself.

Posted by Tuba Guy from Royal Oak, MI on 04/06/13 at 07:28 AM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

Are you kidding?  That couldn’t be a cleaner hit.

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 04/06/13 at 09:49 AM ET

gt500x's avatar

It’s safe to say that neither side is capable of being unbiased—unless you agree with one of those sides.

Posted by gt500x on 04/06/13 at 10:12 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

I give credit to the Av announcers for saying it was a good hit and not crying about it.
That said, Kronwall almost made the hit after time ran out!
THAT would have meant bad news from Shanahan.

Posted by w2j2 on 04/06/13 at 10:39 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

In the long run, a game like this is good for Colorado, who have really been struggling.

The game was sold out, the hockey was well played & intense by both teams…Great TV for local fans.

The players & fans now know they can play well when they try.
And Tootoo & the Kronwall hit should really p*ss them off for the next time they play Detroit.

All of this is good for a struggling team.
Now if they could just get a new owner & GM!

Posted by w2j2 on 04/06/13 at 10:44 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

For some reason I could only get the Avs stream so I did what I do when I have to watch them on NBC….I turn down the volume and listen to some Pandora. It makes for a much nicer hockey experience.
Also, on that Kronwall hit McGinn touched the puck a second before Knonner Kronwalled him. Coulda been trouble for him if McGinn hadn’t touched it. Loved the hit though

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/06/13 at 01:06 PM ET

d ca's avatar

w2j2

If the game was sold out there were some no shows. I had empty seats next to me and in some in the rows front of me (Section 106 Row 8).

And seriously 60% or more (my estimate) of the people there were Wings fans wearing Red and White (see Duchene’s post game interview as validation of my claim):

from about the 2:00 minute mark until 2:08…

Posted by d ca on 04/06/13 at 01:24 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Full credit to McGinn for the way he reacted to the hit. He took both the situation and the hit itself like a man. That’s the way hockey should be played.

And the same goes for the way Pavel reacted after he scored the winning goal. No jumping up and putting on a show. He braces himself over Giggy with one hand, and then pats him lightly on the head and a couple of times on the back with the other.

It was one of the classiest things I think I’ve ever seen in a hockey game. No surprise that it was done by the classiest guy in the sport.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/06/13 at 01:32 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

The Avs-Wings rivalry has been dead for more than a half-decade.  The only player from that era is Milan Hejduk and he was not even playing.  The Avs are completely irrelevant in today’s NHL and even more so from a Red Wings perspective.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 04/06/13 at 01:34 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Posted by d ca on 04/06/13 at 01:24 PM ET

Yes.  None-the-less, Duchenne & the Avs obviously lit up playing in front of a decent crowd, and says that they really want their arena to be filled with their own fans…

By the way, what a talent that guys is, and wow, could the Wings use him!

One of the thrills for Babcock when he coaches Olympic hockey is to coach all these fantastic athletes.

Posted by w2j2 on 04/06/13 at 03:14 PM ET