The Malik Report

TSN’s Ward suggests that Red Wings, Jimmy Howard aren’t quite ready to sign and seal a new deal

I didn't expect MLive's Ansar Khan's report about the Red Wings and Jimmy Howard talking contract turkey to yield an immediate result, and TSN's Aaron Ward reports that the Wings and Howard's agent are still taking part in a slow contractual dance...And an intermittent one at that:

No surprise here.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Maybe someone is thinking straight and realizing that anywhere ner $5M for Howard would be insanity.

Posted by Garth on 03/15/13 at 07:51 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

I think the term is the biggest issue for me, 4 to 5 years is the high mark in my mind at $4 to $4.5 M.

Even that leaves a young prospect to rot in the AHL. 2-3 years from now Mrazek MAY?? be the backup.

Will see, I guess.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/15/13 at 08:39 AM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Term is a bigger hiccup than the salary.  Though $5M is steep for Jimmy.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 03/15/13 at 09:41 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I’ll repeat what I said the other day. Pay him based on the number of years he signs for.
  • 3 years = $5M per year
  • 4 years = $4.5M per year
  • 5 years = $4M per year

He can take more money and less term. Or he can take more term and less money. But if Holland gives him the top end of both, he should be fired immediately.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/15/13 at 10:10 AM ET

If he gives Jimmy $5M for one year he should be fired.

Posted by Garth on 03/15/13 at 10:21 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

3.5 for 3 max i say. its still a 1.25mil/yr raise.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/15/13 at 11:18 AM ET

calquake's avatar

• 3 years = $5M per year
  • 4 years = $4.5M per year
  • 5 years = $4M per year

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/15/13 at 11:10 AM ET

I agree.  And for all those willing to let Jimmy walk my question remains: Who is or will be available that will come to Detroit for less money and play as well or better than Howard for the next 3 years?

Posted by calquake on 03/15/13 at 12:25 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/15/13 at 11:10 AM ET
Posted by calquake on 03/15/13 at 01:25 PM ET

+19 here too. Cal is spot on, you can’t let him walk, but as a negotiating strategy you may have to make him think you might. The one area that KH has excelled in over his time as GM has been getting the best bang for the buck out of goalies. In the Cap World, that is more important than ever.

The problem with giving Jimmah a high $$ long term deal is that goalies are head cases that often do not pan out over long term contracts. Look at Quick, he was unstoppable last season. Now he can’t stop a beachball. Same with Fleury and Giguere.  Did DiPietro ever do anything to earn that deal? Jimmah’s been pretty steady since taking over for Ozzie, but it can happen to him too.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/15/13 at 12:38 PM ET

You’re right.  It’s not like there are any good goalies in the league who haven’t proven themselves in the playoffs and would play for less than $5M.

If they concentrate on shoring up the offense and the defense then they won’t need a goalie that they people are pretending is worth $5M a year.

I’m not neccesarily in the “let him walk” camp, but I’m definitely in the “he’s not worth more than about $3.5” camp.

Look at Quick, he was unstoppable last season. Now he can’t stop a beachball.

Exactly, and he’s a Conn Smythe winner.

Overpaying for a goalie is one of the biggest mistakes you can make.

Posted by Garth on 03/15/13 at 01:04 PM ET

Overpaying for a goalie is one of the biggest mistakes you can make.

Posted by Garth on 03/15/13 at 02:04 PM ET

Luongo and DiPietro come to mind.

4-years @$4 million max.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 03/15/13 at 01:18 PM ET

calquake's avatar

If you’re being sarcastic then name them.  Name the guy who is available and will come to the Wings for 3 yrs. @3.5mil.

So who are those guys that are or will be available that will come to the Wings and play for 3yrs. @ 3.5mil?

I’m not trying to start an argument but I honestly what to know who you know that fulfill that role.

Posted by calquake on 03/15/13 at 03:09 PM ET

calquake's avatar

*want*

Posted by calquake on 03/15/13 at 03:10 PM ET

There are lots of guys who aren’t proven in the playoffs that would play for .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

If you want names I can compile a list but, for brevity’s sake, the list is any goalie in the NHL (or the AHL) who hasn’t proven himself in the playoffs and would like to make $3.5M a year.

I may have been unclear originally, but my point was that Jimmy Howard hasn’t proven himself in the playoffs, therefore I don’t think he’s worth more than $3.5M a year, much less more than doubling his salary.

Posted by Garth on 03/15/13 at 09:09 PM ET