The Malik Report

TSN’s McKenzie reports that Red Wings are close to extension with Ericsson

TSN's Bob McKenzie made one observation about Red Wings defenseman Danny DeKeyser, who will probably miss a little while with a shoulder injury...

And then he dropped a contractual bomb about 29-year-old defenseman Jonathan Ericsson:

And here's a story?

Not a good story.

Update #1: MLive's Ansar Khan weighs in:

Ericsson, 29, is in the final year of a deal that pays him $3.2 million per season. He was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in July.

Getting the 6-foot-4, 221-pound defenseman locked up to a long-term deal was one of the Red Wings’ priorities this season. Ericsson has steadily improved over the last few seasons to become a shutdown defender. He has been on the team’s top pairing with Niklas Kronwall since the start of last season.

Ericsson had one goal, three assists and a plus-3 rating in 11 games before Tuesday’s contest against Nashville. He missed 10 games recently with a shoulder injury.

Update #2: Khan spoke with Ericsson about the extension-to-be:

“They’ve been talking back and forth, seems like we’re coming really close,’’ Ericsson told M-Live.com

He said he never considered exploring free agency in July.

“Last time (2011), I really wanted to stay, but everything was really up in the air, staying on the team and what defensemen we had and the opportunities that were going to be given,’’ Ericsson said. “I feel like I’ve found a good role they want me to play that I really feel comfortable in and really like. I’m so happy to be here. This is the team I want to play for, no other team.’’

Asked if he’ll sign for four or five years, Ericsson said, “We’ll see. It’s more than three.’’

The deal is expected to be worth slightly more than $4 million per season.

Update #3: Fox Sports Detroit's Dana Wakiji also confirmed the news:

"Could be (Wednesday), yeah," Ericsson said. "It would be great to get that done. They’ve been talking back and forth, seems like we’re coming really close. That feels good."

Ericsson, 29, is part of the Wings' top defense pair with Niklas Kronwall and was set to be an unrestricted free agent July 1.

"I feel like I’ve found a good role they want me to play in that I really feel comfortable in and really like," Ericsson said. "I’m so happy to be here. This is the team I want to play for, no other team. If we can get things done now that would be awesome. I couldn’t be happier if it gets done."

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I’m guessing a 5 years with an AAV of 4.25.  Kronner makes 4.75 AAV, a contract he entered into in 2012 (7 years for 32.25m).

Posted by ZandPasha11 on 11/19/13 at 09:01 PM ET

Jaromir Blogger's avatar

Works for me!

Posted by Jaromir Blogger on 11/19/13 at 09:10 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Kind of scary but here we are saying that Ericsson’s worth the money—and he is worth the money.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 11/19/13 at 09:14 PM ET

Jaromir Blogger's avatar

Yup, he is at this point.

Posted by Jaromir Blogger on 11/19/13 at 09:21 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 11/19/13 at 09:14 PM ET

I don’t know if I completely agree with that… granted, I haven’t gotten to watch much of the Griffins this year, but it seems to me Sproul or Ouellet would play the same game for cheaper in that time frame.

Then again, don’t mind me, I’m 1/2 drunk—hey, at least I didn’t spill beer on you this time, George.

Posted by RedMenace from The Steve Ott Fan Club on 11/19/13 at 09:36 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

And then a Smith pass into the nether… sigh.

Posted by RedMenace from The Steve Ott Fan Club on 11/19/13 at 09:41 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Whoops, wrong thread. Sorry!

Posted by RedMenace from The Steve Ott Fan Club on 11/19/13 at 09:41 PM ET

You must be drunk.

Posted by Garth on 11/19/13 at 09:47 PM ET

Kate from AZ-made in Detroit's avatar

E-52 is worth every dollar offered. He is a solid blue liner, and, will not take crap from anyone when challenged.

Great extension!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from AZ-made in Detroit on 11/19/13 at 11:56 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

D Jonathan Ericsson on verge of signing extension with DET. Guessing 4 or 5 yrs, somewhere in $4M range, maybe touch higher.

I never, ever thought I’d say this, but I’d be thrilled if they could get E52 for about $4M per for 5 years.

Of course, if that signing jeopardizes resigning Cleary for $3.5M per for seven years, I’d have to rethink my position.  tongue rolleye

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/19/13 at 11:58 PM ET

hdw's avatar

Not a bad development for a converted (and quite mediocre) forward and 291:st draft pick wink

Posted by hdw on 11/20/13 at 05:22 AM ET