The Malik Report

TSN 1200 reports that Ken Holland’s considering giving a try-out deal to Daniel Alfredsson

Updated with KH on Marek vs. Wyshynski at the 21-minute mark at 5:19 PM: I'm trying to follow the trail of Red Wings GM Ken Holland's Friday radio appearances. Thus far I've found him speaking with WDFN's Art Regner and TSN Montreal's Morning Show, but I've got more to find, apparently, per The Score's Chris Battaglia:

That's very possible, that's a safe, sound and fiscally smart move, and it should've been the case for Daniel Cleary as well. I will look for the interview now.

Update: Here it is, from TSN 1200:

Holland also told TSN 690 Montreal's Morning Show that he feels Anthony Mantha can crack the lineup if he makes the "top 9," not just the "top 6"...

And Holland addressed the Cleary and Quincey situations, the youth movement and a whole bunch of other stuff over the course of a 26-minute interview with WDFN's Art Regner:

(The Hockey News's Lyle Richardson weighed in on the Wings' rumor-related contract situations and possible trades, too)

Update: Here's Holland on the Marek vs. Wyshynski podcast. He appears at the 21-minute mark:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

That’s very possible, that’s a safe, sound and fiscally smart move, and it should’ve been the case for Daniel Cleary as well.

Absolutely.

Good thing he didn’t make some horseshit promise to Alfredsson.

Posted by Garth on 08/15/14 at 04:43 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

We’re in agreement, Garth, I’m afraid.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/15/14 at 04:50 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Holland also told TSN 690 Montreal’s Morning Show that he feels Anthony Mantha can crack the lineup if he makes the “top 9,” not just the “top 6”...

Huge mistake IMO.  Top 6 or the AHL.  Let him dominate down there (if he can), learn the pro game, and gain confidence.  Then make him a call up in the second half and see what he can do on a scoring line.

Posted by Hootinani on 08/15/14 at 04:53 PM ET

I won’t tell anyone if you don’t.

Posted by Garth on 08/15/14 at 04:53 PM ET

Huge mistake IMO.  Top 6 or the AHL.

I disagree.  If they can have a third line of, say, Sheahan centring Mantha and Tatar, and have three lines that are legit threats to score, would be amazing.

The better teams have more of a top-9, bottom-3 configuration.  The ones with top-6 and bottom-6 are the mediocre or bad ones.

Posted by Garth on 08/15/14 at 04:55 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I think Mantha’s going to take half a year to acclimate to the pro game based upon what I’ve seen from his summer development camp appearances and last fall’s prospect tournament. He’s still taking 90-second shifts, floating a bit and skating into the slot and just sort of assuming he’ll be found for a one-timer.

Now things could very well change between July and the prospect tournament, and he’s always been a fast learner, but my gut suggests that we’ll see him in Grand Rapids for at least the first half of the year (though I’m not sure he’ll need much more than a Jurco-style half season to figure things out).

We’ll see what happens, hope it’s merit-based.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/15/14 at 04:59 PM ET

Yeah, I don’t want him in Detroit “no matter what”, but if he plays well enough in the pre-season then I would love to see him playing instead of some of the bottom-six players we had last year.

Posted by Garth on 08/15/14 at 05:02 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

*Luke Glendening and Joakim Andersson look nervously in Garth’s direction*

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/15/14 at 05:05 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Gonna post Marek vs. Wyshynski interview with Holland shortly.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/15/14 at 05:14 PM ET

I’d still throw abdelkader in there too, George. I know Mantha’s never going to be a net front guy, but wouldn’t it be awesome if he were to develop a physical aspect to his game?

Posted by teldar on 08/15/14 at 05:31 PM ET

Right, Garth. Teams that succeed win because they have like a 1a, 1b, and 2nd line as their top three lines (or a solid 1 and 2a + 2b) as the top 9. Is Mike Richards a 4th line center on any other team? On many, he’d be the second line center. You want scoring threats through your top 9 and versatile guys on the 4th line who can chip in 30-40 goals (total) and kill penalties.

Those are how good teams are built.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 08/15/14 at 05:44 PM ET

Jaromir Blogger's avatar

So the aging winger who had 49 points in 68 games last season has to try out for the team, while the aging winger who had 8 points in 52 games gets a $2.5M deal.

Great to have you for four more years, Kenny.

Posted by Jaromir Blogger on 08/15/14 at 06:17 PM ET

Re: Mantha,

Our third line - if we’re talking the Tatar-Sheahan-Someone version of it - is basically a sheltered scoring line. The idea being, maybe Mantha could play Jurco’s/Nyquist’s role. I do think Mantha’s likely to start the season on the farm and that that’s probably the smart call, but, in theory, he could be a scoring line winger for us right off the bat, given that our first, second, and third lines are all scoring lines.

Posted by Dont Toews Me Bro on 08/15/14 at 06:34 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 08/15/14 at 04:55 PM ET

Exactly. (Sorry, I hadn’t seen that you’d posted this.)

Posted by Dont Toews Me Bro on 08/15/14 at 06:38 PM ET

Bah, formatting. All of Garth’s message should be in italics in my previous reply.

Posted by Dont Toews Me Bro on 08/15/14 at 06:39 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Hootinani on 08/15/14 at 04:53 PM ET

I understand, Hoot.  However that does not mean that if he is on the wings he is only going to play with forwards number seven and eight. If he is on the top nine during any given game he could be playing with forwards one through nine on the same line. He could be playing one and two by the end of the first period, Five and six in the second. Back with one and two in the first period.

Not knowing the durability and condition of Alfredsson’s back, I sure as hell would prefer Alfie on the roster as to Cleary, and not really both.

Posted by RWBill from lead guitarist for The Pompous Dicks. on 08/15/14 at 07:05 PM ET

Plenty of good scorers started out as third liners/power play specialists.  That said…

Realistically Mantha is competing, not for one of nine spots, but for one of six—he doesn’t play center.  Assuming Zetterberg and Franzen both start the season on the wing, Mantha is competing for one of four spots because he has zero chance at beating either of them for a job.  He has virtually zero chance of beating Nyquist for a job either, so it’s best to consider that he’s competing for one of three spots, and competing against:

Tatar
Jurco
Alfredsson
Abdelkader
Cleary
Pulkinnen (I guess)

The thing is, however, I think it is pretty likely that he will lose this competition and finish 4th or worse among this group for a top six winger job.  Tatar is very good and Jurco is ahead of Mantha developmentally.  His clearest shot is Alfie’s back not holding up and Babcock deciding to move Abdelkader down to the 4th line.  This would give Detroit too many forwards, but one hopes that Holland has already considered that re-signing Dan Cleary creates this issue if either Alfie or Mantha makes the eventual team, and explored options for removing Joacim Andersson or another space-consuming forward.

Posted by captaineclectic on 08/15/14 at 07:21 PM ET

KH getting tough on Alfy from all people? Tryout? That’s an interesting development.
I do not mind Alfy as long as he is healthy and as long as there will not be too much in bonuses transferred to the next year.
And I do not mind Mantha starting in GR, but I do mind Jurco starting in GR because he has nothing to gain there and already better than some players who will make the team in front of him.

Dats-Z-Alfy (Jurco)
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco (alfy)
Abby-Helm-Miller

or

Dats-Jurco-Weiss(Alfy)
Franzen-Z-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Weiss(Alfy)
Abby-Helm-Miller

Posted by VPalmer on 08/15/14 at 08:32 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

True as I stated previously Mantha looked green in this Springs playoffs, and it looks like he needs more exposure in the minors. He will be on the team later during the season (injuries) to show his skills.

Posted by bigfrog on 08/15/14 at 08:38 PM ET

Chet's avatar

cleary will be waived and retire if can’t keep up, one hopes.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 08/15/14 at 09:05 PM ET

cleary will be waived and retire if can’t keep up, one hopes

Logic dictates so, but he played 52 out of the first 54 games last year and that’s considering Babcock admitted “he brought nothing”. And got a new contract with a raise. Something tells me the guy will be on the opening day roster in the starting lineup no matter what.

Posted by VPalmer on 08/15/14 at 09:14 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Re: Alfredsson and all the people complaining about the “tryout” angle: If you listened to the interview with TSN1200, he says very clearly why that could be a possibility (and not, in fact, that it will be precisely what happens). It’s less of a “Alright, Alfie. You’ve gotta tryout against all the other talent we have for a contract.” It’s more of a “if you’re not comfortable with how you’re feeling quite yet, we can sign you to a tryout deal and you can test the waters through camp and preseason to see how you’re holding up.”

In other words, relax. It’s a possibility, but not for the reason you’re all inferring.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/16/14 at 02:54 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

If Daniel Alfredsson is one of your camp tryouts, things aren’t going all that badly.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 08/16/14 at 03:49 AM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Alan, I think you’re doing things wrong.

Right = Read the headline and form an opinion

Wrong = Read the article and discover the context.

Seriously, it was a little disappointing that I had to scroll so far down the comments to find someone who understood why Alfredsson might be given a tryout contract.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 08/16/14 at 04:16 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

It’s August and people are jittery, so I’ve learned to temper my audience expectations wink raspberry

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/16/14 at 11:24 PM ET