The Malik Report

Trying To Figure Out Filppula

from John Niyo of the Detroit News,

The Wings don't have many pending free agents on the roster, but they do have a few, and none more notable - or mystifying - than Valtteri Filppula, the 29-year-old Finnish center who has become a lightning rod for criticism this spring.

In this new-and-improved, salary cap-strapped NHL, where nearly every team insists its focus is a draft-and-develop strategy -- and where fewer and fewer top-tier players are making it to free agency -- Filppula's bound to be a player with opportunities to cash in elsewhere.

The problem for the Wings is deciding what value he still has here in Detroit, where the former third-round pick has been a regular in the lineup ever since Steve Yzerman retired in 2006 and a regular in coach Mike Babcock's doghouse for a good, long time, as well.

read on

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

topshelf14's avatar

I think Val is a second line center in the NHL, I do not think he is one of the better second line centers but I do think he will be given that opportunity somewhere else. He will sign a 4 year deal worth 4.75 per.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 05/12/13 at 11:07 AM ET

awould's avatar

I think he’ll get his $5 somewhere. Just not Detroit. I hope they get something useful for him. If not, Holland needs to go.

Posted by awould on 05/12/13 at 11:26 AM ET

klank's avatar

hunch tells me Val is heading to either the Stars or Flames.  Wings should not even put an offer on the table being we have Tatar itching to be placed in lineup.

I have grown tired of his ballerina twirls.

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 05/12/13 at 11:36 AM ET

awould's avatar

He keeps doing things to give some doubt either way. You think he’s a bust - check out that toe drag the other night. You think he’s worth the money - check out that sweet assist on Anaheim’s goal last game. After so many years of this up and down play, the verdict has to be that he’s a bust. A slight bust. But he needs to be gone to make room for the future, because if he’s shown anything, it’s that he’s not the future.

Posted by awould on 05/12/13 at 11:54 AM ET

I hope they get something useful for him. If not, Holland needs to go.

So essentially you just think Holland needs to go, since there’s nothing useful to be gotten for someone who is going to be a UFA in a month and a half.  Unless you consider the “conditional pick” that Detroit got for Brad Stuart last summer.

Posted by Garth on 05/12/13 at 12:03 PM ET

Unless you consider the “conditional pick” that Detroit got for Brad Stuart last summer to be useful.

There.  Thought completed.

Posted by Garth on 05/12/13 at 12:05 PM ET

awould's avatar

To complete my thought, I think picks are I order for Fil, and would expect picks of a higher caliber than Stuart got, given everyone and Stuart’s daughter knew he’d end up in SJ.

Perhaps a sign and trade would be in order though, take advantage of the longer term Detroit could give him and then ship him off under long term contract for something better than picks. Not sure if that’s in Holland’s play book though.

Posted by awould on 05/12/13 at 12:16 PM ET

awould's avatar

If holland gets nothing for him, he should go. That would be a huge screw up that GMs of teams like Nashville make.

Posted by awould on 05/12/13 at 12:17 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

I don’t think Holland should be let go because he didn’t get anything for Filppula.  But I do think this offseason is a big one with all of the buyout’s that will be happening.  I think we will be able to have our bottom 2 lines made up primarily of our ripe GR prospects and be able to land a solid top 6 scorer and a top 4 defensemen.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 05/12/13 at 12:28 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

Fil has more control over his situation than Kenny does. Because it’s a thin market, maybe someone throws us a pick, but it wont be much more then we got for Stuart. Saying Kenny should go if he doesn’t get something good for Fil is absurd.

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 05/12/13 at 12:43 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Posted by awould on 05/12/13 at 12:16 PM ET

I highly doubt anyone would want to sign Fil to an 8 year deal.  The extra year he could get in a sign-and-trade wouldn’t be worth it to a team to have to give up assets for.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 05/12/13 at 12:50 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Paying a guy more than he’s worth just because he’ll get it on the open market: dumb.
Paying a guy more than he’s worth just because you may lose your #1 center in a year: dumb.
Not trading him for god knows why (he/she/it probably doesn’t know why either): dumb.
Paying him 4+ for anything over a yr: silly

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/12/13 at 12:57 PM ET

awould's avatar

CowboyCoffee- Fil has zero control over whether his rights are traded and thinking there isn’t more than a couple teams willing to trade a pick or two is absurd - if 3 teams want him, that’s enough to get a small bidding skirmish started.

“Because its a thin market” means Detroit can get more for trading his rights, not less. Under these conditions, Kenny letting Fil go for nothing would be an abysmal failure.

Posted by awould on 05/12/13 at 01:04 PM ET

awould's avatar

I highly doubt anyone would want to sign Fil to an 8 year deal.

You’re probably right, but I imagine Fil will have as long a career as he wants in the NHL and an 8 year deal might make his cap hit worth overpaying the first half.

Posted by awould on 05/12/13 at 01:07 PM ET

SK77's avatar

I’m not god, but I think I know why ...

#1: Who would the Wings have plugged into the #2 pivot this playoffs—to match up against Anaheim’s #1 line?

#2: Trading Flip would have raised the white flag on this season and meant no playoffs. All that for a middling prospect—see: marginal 3rd or 4th line winger—and a maybe 5th round pick at best.

Might as well keep the bastard for a few more months.

Posted by SK77 on 05/12/13 at 01:07 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by topshelf14 from Hockeytown, USA on 05/12/13 at 12:28 PM ET

You haven’t checked the upcoming UFA market then.  It’s abysmal.

Unless Holland plans on making a trade, DET would be just as well off playing “kids” in those spots.

Also, DET doesn’t need a Top 4 d-man, they need a top d-man pairing d-man or nothing, because they have plenty fo 3-6 d-men already.

Fil needs to go.  There *is* such a thing as addition by subtraction, and I believe we have finally reached that point.

Posted by Primis on 05/12/13 at 01:17 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

The problem for the Wings is deciding what value he still has here in Detroit…

This is not a problem. His value is zero.

Primis’ point about “addition by subtraction” is a valid one. Same goes for Cleary (although he at least tries to play hard).

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/12/13 at 02:48 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

As I said before, as in SAT analogy form:
Ryan Raburn’s status in 2012: Detroit Tigers
Valtteri Fippula’s status in 2013: Detroit Red Wings

Sometimes both sides need a fresh start. I won’t be angry if the Wings re-sign him for under $5 million annual, but we already said good-bye to Hudler last year. If Ken Holland has someone else in mind that he’s got a good chance at that’s more of a tougher, gritter player with some skill, I say go get him with that money set aside for Fippula. Get a top defenseman, too and trade some of the youth if he has to. Sign at least one in free agency, to save some of the trading chips. I’ll be optimistic about the youth remaining providing more offense next year (including hopefully a healthier Helm) and take a chance that they can find something at least somewhat close to Datsyuk the next next summer if need be (and no, nobody can replace Datsyuk).

Posted by Bugsy on 05/12/13 at 03:00 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Nyqvist looks like he’s finally finding his nose for the net, I like his chances to produce 40-45 pts next year and hopefully have 60-65 pt potential eventually.  @Primis you’re right the free agent market is very thin this summer.  I hope there is a compliance buyout like Lecavalier available.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 05/12/13 at 03:21 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

Fil and his agent set the number. And they’ve already made public where their starting point is. Plus he had a terrible season. A few teams my nibble, but most will just wait for him to go to FA. If Kenny gets anything, I’ll be blown away.

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 05/12/13 at 03:25 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Well, he could earn his pay raise if he put 2 in the net tonight. But it wont happen as he wont even shoot the puck. Trade him for negotiating rights of someone we can use. Or walk the bum, I dont care. But please go hot and heavy after David Clarkson from NJ. This guy will bring it in spades if we can land him.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/12/13 at 03:44 PM ET

...i think the only real solution to this dilemma is a sign-and-trade deal….there will be some players out there that would at least approach parity, as far as trading goes….wally has been a lot of fun to watch, in his better moments, but can’t seem to pull the load that is expected of him on a regular basis…..i will be truly sad to see him go, because i really like him, but to lose him for nothing is piss poor…...

Posted by dingus from the salty great lake on 05/12/13 at 07:08 PM ET

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/12/13 at 02:48 PM ET

This.

...i think the only real solution to this dilemma is a sign-and-trade deal…

No, the only solution is letting him walk.  Why would anyone engage in a sign-and-trade when they could get him without giving anything up and negotiate their own deal with him if he hits the UFA market?  And why would Filppula consent to that?

Posted by Garth on 05/12/13 at 07:25 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I think Holland is waiting to see who the compliance buyouts are.  Or maybe what kind of offers Fil gets from other teams.  I am happy Holland didn’t start negotiating before the playoffs.  Fil’s performance thus far leaves him in a pretty bad bargaining position.  Then again, it ain’t over yet.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/12/13 at 07:37 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

It’s all about cap compliance buy-outs in terms of the Red Wings’ free agency plans. There are several teams already over next year’s cap if you head over to http://www.capgeek.com and many more are within $5 million with multiple RFA’s to re-sign, so there WILL be quality players hitting the market because teams can’t afford to keep them, and those are likely the players the Wings will target.

At this point, even with the “Datsyuk may go back to Russia” worries included in the team’s list of, “Maybe we keep Fil” reasons, I don’t think we’ll see Filppula signed unless it’s to sign him and trade him at the draft.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/12/13 at 07:53 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

I’ve never liked Fil so I am 100% behind him being gone. He skates like a low grade ballerina out there. When he skates he actually looks like he has absolutely no control over his feet…they’re constantly shaking, and when he makes a turn it is the widest, taking himself completely out of the play, turn, stickhandling is also abysmal. Occasionally he’ll get lucky(toe drag OT winning goal), but it is purely luck. He’s neither elusive like Dats or grinding and overall talented like Z, although somehow he gets spoken about like he is. Adios Fil.

Same for Cleary. The puck on his stick at center ice is a sure fire turnover every time.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 05/12/13 at 07:59 PM ET

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 05/12/13 at 07:59 PM ET

The good thing about Filppula and Cleary is that all they have to do is not panic.  Allow them to walk and wish them luck.

Of course, last summer all they had to do was not panic and what they did was panic and sign Glass Joe Colaiacovo to a two-year deal.

Posted by Garth on 05/12/13 at 08:13 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Filppula has trade value. Danny Cleary’s got miles on him and degenerative knee issues. I’ve started to wonder whether he’ll tell us he’s retiring at the end of the year.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/12/13 at 08:14 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

I’ve got my migraine to deal with, so I’ll say it here in case I can’t stay up. I’m glad Filppula has come through tonight. Maybe the line change is what he needed.

Posted by Bugsy on 05/12/13 at 11:45 PM ET