The Malik Report

Toronto Maple Leafs claim Alexey Marchenko

Not surprising per se, per Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman...

And Sportsnet's Chris Johnston:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

topshelf14's avatar

Of course they did.  I’m telling you right now Marchenko will be a consistent 4/5 his whole career and Holland let him walk over his loyalty to Ericsson.  So dumb.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 02/04/17 at 01:05 PM ET

Way to go Kenny.

Posted by AZWinger on 02/04/17 at 01:05 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Doesn’t salary cap management matter at all to this guy?  Ericsson if sent down would NOT have been claimed. And Marchenko is young still and on his entry level deal.  This is so frustrating to me, mainly because I liked Marchenko and saw him as a steady player on our defense for years to come.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 02/04/17 at 01:07 PM ET

Does the NHL allow you to waive general managers?  I’m asking for a friend. . .

Posted by BarryKlob on 02/04/17 at 01:18 PM ET

Shanny_Fan's avatar

Doh, nice one Kenny….

Posted by Shanny_Fan on 02/04/17 at 01:20 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 02/04/17 at 12:05 PM ET

To be fair…. we aren’t lacking in those kind of guys.  System is FULL of them.  I’d rather have kept Marchenko over Ericsson too, but… unless Marchenko develops into a first pairing guy somehow, I don’t see how DET actually ever misses him.

Posted by Primis on 02/04/17 at 01:21 PM ET

Not a loss that should come back to haunt the Wings, but it is another prime example of asset management issues that don’t seem to be going away any time soon.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 02/04/17 at 01:25 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

True, but Mike Babcock must of saw something in Marchenko when he was coaching in Detroit. Marchenko is a 5th or 6th defensive man, and the Red Wings have many of those kind within the system.  confused

Posted by bigfrog on 02/04/17 at 01:34 PM ET

At this point Marchenko is as good as Ericsson at a fraction of the cost and we don’t know his upside yet, especially under this regime.

Posted by stateofmifan on 02/04/17 at 01:35 PM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

This is so annoying.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 02/04/17 at 01:46 PM ET

Ken, at least Jack traded for magic beans for his investment,you just gave yours away. Besides, you should have unloaded your liability (52), uh, I mean your own magic beans.

Posted by stateofmifan on 02/04/17 at 01:48 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Posted by Primis on 02/04/17 at 12:21 PM ET

But doesn’t cap management matter at all. If Marchenko fills the role of Ericsson as a 5/6 at 3x less cost then we have more cap money to try and acquire a top pair dman.

6m 6m
3m 3m
1m 1m

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 02/04/17 at 01:50 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Sorry to see him go over Sproul.

He played excellent for us (including his last 10gms… )

Best of luck, Alexey.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 02/04/17 at 01:50 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

I am having such a hard time rooting for the Wings anymore not cuz of the players but cuz of the bonehead management.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 02/04/17 at 01:56 PM ET

Shanny_Fan's avatar

Sorry to see him go over Sproul.

I agree, Sproul or Smith would have been better players to waive, as they both seem to have big deficiencies defensively at the NHL level (albeit Sprouls sample size is tiny at this point). Errorson is a bit of a different beast as he actually played pretty well in the first 35 or 40 games this season IMO.

Posted by Shanny_Fan on 02/04/17 at 02:00 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Question:

Who do you trust more in making roster decisions?

Babcock

Or

Anyone in the Wings organization.

Posted by ilovehomers on 02/04/17 at 02:10 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

nutz

I am a Marchy fan, thought he was solid and developing well.

//sigh//

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 02/04/17 at 02:15 PM ET

Technically Marchenko getting claimed saves us more cap space than waiving Ericcson would. It’s a bummer, but it is what it is. We’ve got a glut of these guys. Would I have liked a low draft pick? Sure. But I’m not shedding any tears. Russo will probably be up next year and we’ll have another 3 defensemen fighting for the 6/7 spot.

Realistically, the only way Ericcson is going away is if we buy him out. Nobody’s going to take him off our hands. If we’re going to suck, I’d rather leave him on the roster for as long as we can, so we’re not stuck with half his salary on the cap for another 6 six years.

Posted by McG on 02/04/17 at 02:18 PM ET

A better team with smarter management took a guy we gave away for free to make room for a 28-year old bust with no future.

Posted by captaineclectic on 02/04/17 at 02:34 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Why in Gord’s name did we have to wave Marchenko? I don’t care about the ‘money’. Errorson doesn’t belong on this team.

We’re not even losing young talent due to dumb trades anymore. We’re losing young talent to the waiver wire.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 02/04/17 at 02:46 PM ET

If anyone in ownership who cared about hockey were at the controls Kenny would have been fired this time - or, really, any of the last several times he has displayed startling incompetence at the core responsibilities of his job.

Is Kenny ill? Maybe he has begun to develop dementia, in which case I am sorry because that is no joke.

Why is arguably the worst GM in the NHL, currently, running around giving radio interviews ad nauseum and worrying about the locker room design of *next year’s* arena, instead of thinking ahead and making sound choices to best manage his roster, assets, and cap. If this is too hard for him, isn’t there anyone who can help?

I semi-joked last Fall about how the league had to try and help Scott Howson in Columbus by referring a mostly retired Craig Patrick to them to provide some advice.

Could the NHL please send someone to help Kenny? The man simply can no longer do his job.

Give the man his gold watch and please get rid of him already.

Toronto is the team with a braintrust now and we are just sad

Posted by Lefty30 on 02/04/17 at 02:58 PM ET

BladesOfSteel's avatar

Still think they should have waived Smith seeing he’s probably gone after this year anyways.

Even if Big E was waived and cleared to GR, wings would still be stuck with 3.3M dead cap hit.

Posted by BladesOfSteel on 02/04/17 at 03:28 PM ET

PierreC's avatar

and Watch him in Toronto. Marchenko is probably a very happy dude right now.Going to a team with expectations and good playoffs hopes, leaving a team full a problems and a total mess.

For some reason i feel bad about that, even if Marchenko wasnt staellar this year, injury prone..i don’t know, i’m trying to understand why suddenly Smith is ahead and not too logn ago Smith was scratched to play Marchenko.

Maybe the brass don’t know what to do ?

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 02/04/17 at 03:52 PM ET

PierreC's avatar

Posted by

topshelf14

from Detroit, MI on 02/04/17 at 12:05 PM ET

How can anyone expect Ericsson to be waive ? He still has top quality minutes every games. As soon as we are down a man who do we see ? E and XO..So the brass sees Ericsson as a great top pair defenseman.

Sad but true.

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 02/04/17 at 03:55 PM ET

Kenny has nothing to worry about as long as he can pretend we’re a legitimate playoff team.

Posted by Ventr on 02/04/17 at 04:26 PM ET

Obviously Ericsson should have been the one waived, but we all knew that wasn’t happening.  But why not waive Smith, since he’s (hopefully) not getting re-signed, and there’s only a 0.00000001% chance that Holland trades the bum for something since trades are hard and all.  On second thought, I guess this means Smith is going to be the next terrible long-term contract.  It’s the only logical answer given Kenny’s track record.

It’s becoming increasingly hard to love this organization.

Posted by Wise1 on 02/04/17 at 04:40 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

See, Kenny is already selling!  He just forgot to put a price tag on the guy first…

I can’t wait to see who we lose for nothing in order to keep Steve Ott on the active roster!

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 02/04/17 at 04:43 PM ET

Chet's avatar

what a *#$%@& joke.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 02/04/17 at 05:55 PM ET

Everybody knew Babcock likes Marchenko. Toronto did not have the first choice to claim him, not even close.
Was the call to Toronto even made to see if they will give us a pick?

Posted by VPalmer on 02/04/17 at 06:49 PM ET

I had that idea too. I am speculating it may be an early stage of Alzheimer dissease or maybe it is another type of progressive degeneration.

Posted by tutoka on 02/04/17 at 07:14 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Marchenko is probably a very happy dude right now.

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada

Unfortunately, that’s probably all too true. And I’ll be that if you gave AA, Nosek, Callahan, Bertuzzi, Sproul and a number of other young guys a chance to be waived, they’d jump at it. Every young prospect in the Wings organization* must be thinking “I’d rather be anywhere else but here right now.”

*Like many others, I used to write that as “organ-I-zation,” but it’s obvious that the Illitich family has lost their interest in the Wings – otherwise Ken Holland would be working as the new Director of Concessions at LCA.

Get it, Director of Concessions. grin

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/04/17 at 07:39 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

KH still giving away prospects. Marchy is a lot better than Smith who plays like a 15 yr old at best, E52 obvious piece of crap, Sproul I don’t know as he has been benched all year, nearly.

Go Luck Marchy, Haunt KH please.

#GoBlueJackets I jumped from the Oilers band wagon (Lucic is ugly)

You keep reading about KH screw ups and can’t believe he is that STUPID

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 02/04/17 at 10:09 PM ET

I subtlety too few people understand. Even a buyout of Ericsson isn’t that great of a solution. The Wings need to get their salary structure into place to afford to buy him out. Not to mention they have to get ownerships approval for paying a player who isn’t on the roster. It’s easy to tell other people how to spend their money.

I don’t like losing Marchenko one bit but it is the price the Wings are paying for poor cap/roster management by Holland.

Posted by evileye on 02/07/17 at 11:09 AM ET