The Malik Report

Top Hockey Arenas In Michigan

from Paul Swaney of Stadium Journey,

Minnesota may be known as the State of Hockey, but Michigan may have the best collection of hockey venues in the United States. With teams in the NHL, AHL, ECHL, OHL, USHL, NAHL, and college hockey there is great hockey to be enjoyed at every level. Here's our list of the 12 best hockey arenas in the state of Michigan.

Van Andel Arena - Home of the Grand Rapids Griffins

The Grand Rapids Griffins, and the city of Grand Rapids have created a blueprint of how minor league hockey should be presented. The entire experience was first class, regardless if you had the kids with you for a family outing, or if you were the hardcore local fan.

continue for 11 more arenas...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

Yost is #4. Lame.

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 12/12/12 at 01:28 PM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

Here’s what it should be, as I’ve been to nearly all these.  This is as of total experience:

#1 Yost
#2 Joe Louis
#3 Michigan Tech
#4 Van Andel
#5 Western
#6 Compuware
#7 NMU’s Berry Events
#8 LSSU
#9 Ferris
#10 Munn (Boring!)

Never seen a game at K-Wings Stadium or Port Huron.

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 12/12/12 at 01:41 PM ET

Allen Park Civic Arena.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 12/12/12 at 02:29 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

I went to Ferris and Ewigleben Arena isn’t as good as a lot of those below it, packed arena, Munn and one not listed LC Walker Arena (home of the Muskegon Lumber Jacks) are both better

Posted by tkfergy on 12/12/12 at 02:35 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Been to the K-Wings arena and it’s like the equivalent of seeing a band at a concert hall vs. an arena.  Cool experience but more homely than any other hockey venue I’ve been to.  I’ve only been to NHL, AHL and NCAA arenas though aside from the K-wings.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/12/12 at 04:51 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Been to every one but Western, Yost, and Kzoo.

Not sure if I win anything.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 12/12/12 at 06:14 PM ET

Been to every one but Western, Yost, and Kzoo.

Not sure if I win anything.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 12/12/12 at 05:14 PM ET

A roomful of redheads.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 12/12/12 at 07:56 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Save those for me SYF and give him an autographed Bettman Lockout Jersey.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/12/12 at 08:03 PM ET

There’s plenty to go around, HTO.

Grapes, too?

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 12/12/12 at 08:09 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

A roomful of redheads.

I’ll take it.

Won the same thing winning Gilligan’s Island Trivia at a bowling alley last month.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 12/12/12 at 08:09 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by

SYF

from an NHL wasteland…and it fuching sucks. on 12/12/12 at 07:09 PM ET

Sweeeet.  They come with a case of PBR right?  And a Jeffery?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/12/12 at 08:42 PM ET

LOL.

Holy fuch, I sure as hell miss the live blogs and jossing with you guys.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 12/13/12 at 12:52 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

A roomful of redheads.

Posted by SYF from an NHL wasteland…and it fuching sucks. on 12/12/12 at 06:56 PM ET

+19 F N awesome

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 12/13/12 at 02:18 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Compuware sightlines suck if you are sitting anywhere near the ice. They rushed the construction installing the seats way to low. That barn doesn’t belong in the top 20 even.
Haven’t been to Saginaw’s OHL barn to compare.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 12/13/12 at 05:14 PM ET