The Malik Report

Tootoo On The Slash From Newbury

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

“It caught the right nerve, I guess,’’ Tootoo said. “Other than that it just flared up a little bit, but I’m fine.’’

Asked if he has a history with Newbury, who has appeared in 74 NHL games over nine seasons with Toronto, the New York Rangers, Philadelphia and Detroit (four games in 2009-10), Tootoo said, “No clue who he is.’’

Asked if he was surprised by the slash, Tootoo said, “From what I’ve heard, not so much, the way he plays, I guess.

“It’s just uncalled for when a guy’s got your back to him. That’s just like a gutless play. But whatever, we got the two points. Today’s a new day and move on from the situation.’’

more and watch the slash below...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

I’m willing to bet Newbury knows who Tootoo is.

And I’m betting if it was Dan Cleary skating away from the hit instead, Newbury doesn’t slash him.

What I’m trying to say is, if Tootoo doesn’t dress, that whole situation never happens.  Guys not only don’t discourage nonsense, the often incite it, if even by their presence and reputations.

Posted by Primis on 10/13/13 at 05:26 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

I’m also betting that Cleary, or any other player on the Wings roster, wouldn’t take a full run at Newbury with 20 seconds left in that game.

Live by the sword, die by the sword I guess.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 10/13/13 at 06:04 PM ET

bleep bloop's avatar

Both right, but I doubt it would have happened if the scores were reversed, so add in frustration

Posted by bleep bloop on 10/13/13 at 07:05 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Live by the sword, die by the sword I guess.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 10/13/13 at 06:04 PM ET

And thats exactly the kind of effort that would let a team back in the game.  The hit by Tootoo was good and clean, the slash by Newbury was dirty and born of frustration.  Any other assessment is nonsense.

Posted by Hootinani on 10/13/13 at 07:25 PM ET

Doesn’t matter if he hit him with 20 seconds left. Doesn’t matter that it was Tootoo.

He checked him. That does not warrant a two hander to a guys knee area at any time in a game. Newbury deserves a severe beating for being a gutless bag of shit for coming at a guy from behind. Pussy in the first degree.

Posted by borq646 from South Lyon, MI on 10/13/13 at 07:55 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’m surprised there wasn’t an announcement today that the league was having a hearing about Newbury today. I figured that’d have earned him a couple of games in the press box.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/13/13 at 11:43 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by borq646 on 10/13/13 at 07:55 PM ET

I don’t disagree.  What Newbury did was gutless and he’s garbage for doing it.  I’m just saying that if anyone else is there but Tootoo, he probably doesn’t.  And that’s a perfect microcosm of the whole problem right now with the league re: fighting/fighters/policing/etc.

I also don’t feel particularly *sorry* for Tootoo either though.  Tootoo’s reputation is one of kind of a dirtbag, and he’s done plenty of dirtbag things to others in his past.  He’s “earned” that response I guess.  If he can’t handle that, then I guess he should have thought of that before spending several seasons sucker-punching people around the league.

Posted by Primis on 10/14/13 at 01:05 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

He got his number.  See you next time.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 10/14/13 at 03:39 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Tootoo said, “No clue who he is.’’

Funny, because this is the reaction 99.9% of people would have when asked if they know who Jordin Tootoo was, if it weren’t for his own dirty play in the past.

Forget the Nyquist debacle, forget Tatar being in and out of the press box. The Tootoo signing is without a doubt the worst mistake Ken Holland has ever made.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 10/14/13 at 08:52 AM ET

wedge56's avatar

...and if we hadn’t signed a TooToo or someone like TooToo, people would be bashing Holland for not having an enforcer on the team.

TooToo isn’t working out with us.  I enjoy when he is on the ice and think his playmaking ability is underestimated in general.  He is not earning his paycheck, but hard to do that from the bench.

Not all signings work out.  His signing was a failure, but a fairly modest one.

Posted by wedge56 on 10/14/13 at 10:10 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I dig that Jordin Tootoo is a First Nations person playing pro sports at the highest level. That’s admirable and (unfortunately) not common. Props for that.

I’m not a fan of how he plays the game at all. He brings a bit more dirt than grit and it doesn’t fit with the kind of hockey I enjoy watching. But now that he’s out of Nashville and the annoying whistles don’t go off when he hits the ice, he is at least tolerable.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/14/13 at 10:23 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 10/14/13 at 08:52 AM ET

OK that’s a bit much.  He may not even be the biggest mistake Holland made in the past couple of years (Cleary, Sameulsson).

Fleischmann and a pick that turned into d-man Mike Green for Robert Lang is right up there.

Shoot IMO Tootoo isn’t even the worst ENFORCER signing Holland ever made.  That honor belongs to Brad May.  May was at least 7 times more useless than Tootoo.

Posted by Primis on 10/14/13 at 11:07 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by Primis on 10/14/13 at 11:07 AM ET

You got me on the Sammy re-signing, that one was rough. $3 million for ONE year? Sure. $4 million total for two years? Eh, I wouldn’t freak out about it. But $3 million per for TWO years PLUS a NMC?!?!?!?

Cleary is still a good player at his cap number, the problem is obviously the fact it has pushed a very NHL-ready Nyquist out of the lineup (I would guess at least for the first half of the season).

The trade for Lang looks rough in retrospect, but he did score 119 points in 159 regular season games, and 23 points in 36 playoff games. These are well above-average numbers for a second-line/third-line centerman. The guy they traded has shown lots of upside and skill but has also had a chronic and concerning health problem. The pick is what it is, you can’t really predict who they would’ve taken. Of course, with the hindsight that they fell short against the Ducks in Lang’s final season with the team, and knowing what Fleischmann and Green both turned out to be, it looks like the Wings got the worse end of the deal. But a counter-argument is that the Wings with Robert Lang won some playoff games that the pick and prospect in question wouldn’t have factored into at all.

And while Brad May have have been worse in a strictly hockey sense, the Tootoo deal is a far worse signing when you factor in the financial/cap implications. Can’t ignore that.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 10/14/13 at 11:58 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The Derian Hatcher signing was worse too.

Samuelsson has a NTC, not a NMC.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/14/13 at 12:52 PM ET