The Malik Report

TooToo Clears Waivers

Now what?  Yesterday Holland said TooToo would not be going to Grand Rapids.

added 12:10pm,

added 12:17pm, from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

“Obviously, they brought me in to be a physical presence,’’ Tootoo said. “When you’re given an opportunity to be in the lineup, my goal is to bring emotion and energy. Obviously, it’s not going to happen every shift and when you play a limited amount of ice time it’s hard to make things happen, but at the same time you got to be a pro about it and make sure you do your best when you’re called upon to do your job.’’

Tootoo just wants a chance to play. He’ll eventually go to Grand Rapids and will be available to the Red Wings if they need to call him up as an injury replacement.

“At the end of the day, I want to play hockey, wherever I end up, it’s going to give me an opportunity to be in the lineup,’’ Tootoo said. “As a hockey player, we’re bred to compete and battle for each other. For me, it’s hard not being in the lineup because it’s just my nature. I want to go to war for my teammates. Wherever I end up I’m sure I’ll have the opportunity to play.’’

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Chip4Pips's avatar

Surprise, surprise. What an albatross of a contract….

Posted by Chip4Pips on 11/07/13 at 01:09 PM ET

I’m guessing he plays until Ericsson comes off the LTIR and is either sent down or waived again.

Posted by Garth on 11/07/13 at 01:10 PM ET

Ya know, it’s unfortunate that Holland couldn’t resist splurging on Cleary. Now we await yet another waiver wire move that will ax one more player just so Ericsson can come back. Sammy, Cleary, Tootoo—all questionable signings at best. Those guys haven’t produced anything (i think between those 3, they have like 4 points in 27 games combined or something). That is pathetic. Meanwhile, Nyquist is tearing up the AHL. There is no way Nyquist would do worse, or even on par, with Cleary or Sammy thus far. Good work Holland.

Posted by ZandPasha11 on 11/07/13 at 01:12 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Added TooToo’s reaction to the post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/07/13 at 01:19 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Tootoo, Almquist, Coreau

No waivers needed.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/07/13 at 01:42 PM ET

Paul's avatar

via Khan tweet,

Franzen said he’s not feeling any better, wouldn’t elaborate on whether he’s sick or injured and didn’t want to comment further.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/07/13 at 01:45 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

Holland couldn’t resist splurging on Cleary.

Maybe that’s the real reason Cleary didn’t leave?

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 11/07/13 at 01:45 PM ET

Primis's avatar

What a mess.

And somehow we all saw it coming, and apparently only Holland didn’t.

Posted by Primis on 11/07/13 at 02:06 PM ET

perfection's avatar

what’s a mess exactly? having too many players is a good problem which sorts itself out. waivers exists for this reason. it’s not a desperate move at all. Toots didn’t earn his pay, period.

I still don’t get what Cleary has to do with anything. I think every GM in the league would rather have Cleary than Tootoo on their team. If we waived Cleary at his salary probably half the teams in the league would claim him. So how exactly does his signing have any effect on this move, which has been expected since training camp.

Obviously, getting Gus up is the next priority. I think they should simply waive Sammy too and move up Gus. End of problem. We’d have both the roster and cap space. They may not do that since they are hedging their bets against injuries and as long as we make the playoffs it’s a moot point because Gus will be like a free deadline aquisition once there are no roster restrictions. We still have a buyout for next summer if we want to rid ourselves of Toots last year on his contract.

so again, what exactly is the problem? how you think Holland didn’t “see this coming” is beyond me. He delayed this decision as long as possible knowing injuries would happen, but from the get-go both Kenny and Babs said pretty clearly some guys wouldn’t end up making the team. That’s all that’s happened here. It’s actually a good thing that nobody claimed Toots or Emmerton as we can call up either in case of catastrophe. People have short memories if injuries decimating our lineup doesn’t at least sound familiar. Having a back stock of NHL ready guys is called depth and definitely helps teams win.

We are in good shape roster-wise, though I’m definitely with those of you who want to see Gus up sooner than later.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 11/07/13 at 02:57 PM ET

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 11/07/13 at 01:57 PM ET

Perfection - waiving Samuelsson gives the Wings $100,000 in cap room, which is nothing, basically. Per CapGeek…

“Players who sign multi-year contracts when they are age 35 or older (calculated on June 30 of the season the contract begins) count toward the cap under all circumstances, regardless of where (or if) the player is playing. The only cap relief is $100,000 from the player’s cap hit if he is assigned to the minors after the first year of the contract or in the event of a buyout. “

This means Samuelsson likely sits as the healthy scratch forward the rest of the year.

I’d say there is a good chance we don’t see Nyquist until the playoffs (or at least the trade deadline). Maybe…..

...Ken Holland can trade Tootoo for Patrick Kaleta…..Kaleta’s salary is $1,250,000 - which is $650,000 less than Tootoo…that $650,000 would go a long way toward bringing back Nyquist. Both Tootoo and Kaleta are obviously disposable to each team. Tootoo has more value on the Sabres than Kaleta. KH could sit him on the bench in GR…

Time to wake up from that little daydream…

Posted by VitoLambruski on 11/07/13 at 03:13 PM ET

perfection's avatar

you’re probably right, as I said myself… but I don’t get your point exactly.

i totally understand the veteran cap rule, but it’s irrelevant in this case. once Tootoo goes down we have the cap space for Gus but not the roster spot. Waiving Sammy makes a roster spot. Doesn’t really matter what the cap relief is.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 11/07/13 at 03:19 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Nothing but a gut feeling, but I would sooner blame Babcock for the re-signing of Dan Cleary (if you feel a need to assign blame). It seems pretty clear that he’s one of Babcock’s guys and we’ve heard plenty of quotes that pretty heavily imply that Babcock really wanted Cleary to remain with the team.

Now, if we want to blame Holland for a real bad decision, look at the Tootoo deal. I think that this signing was made out of a lack of real expectation that the team and its youngsters would end up playing as well as they did last year, especially on the blue line. I see the Tootoo signing as Holland saying, “The fans will like this guy and we’re going to be mediocre for the next few years, so let’s sign him and give them something to cheer about.”

Not to mention the Samuelsson deal… if you told me it was a 2 year deal for $3 million AAV I’d have said, eh, I can live with that. If you told me it was a 2 year deal with a NTC and AAV of under $2 million, I’d have been okay with that. Heck, a 1 year deal work $4 million and a NTC? FINE. But the fact that Samuelsson got all three—favorable dollars, term, and a NTC? WTF?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/07/13 at 03:20 PM ET

Tootoo’s cap relief is only $925,000, not the entire $1.9M. The Wings currently can add roughly $550,000 in salary as of today. That figure doesn’t include Ericsson’s salary, since he is on LTIR.

I am not good enough on understanding all salaries and what counts/doesn’t count against the cap. But I am pretty sure simply waiving Samuelsson and sending him to GR won’t really help, other than to free a roster spot. I still think we need more salary to go away to ice the best team we can (including Nyquist). We’ve had significant salary on LTIR the entire season (Helm then Ericsson). That’s the only way we’ve been able to keep this dance up. If, at the beginning of the year, we had a healthy Helm and Ericsson, simply waiving Tootoo and Samuelsson and sending them to GR wouldn’t have been a solution and nor is it now a solution. More salary has to go away to get Nyquist here.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 11/07/13 at 03:32 PM ET

perfection's avatar

According to George (I think), due to all our man games lost on LTIR, Sammy and Toots would be enough to bring up Gus in terms of cap.

but in any case, I can’t imagine that the team is sold on Helm being around to stay yet. I have to think they won’t make another move until he has several games under his belt without a setback… or of course if the team starts to lose too badly and deems Gus a difference maker.

but Gus is tearing it up and will be ready to go when we can eventually bring him up. as long as we make the playoffs, I don’t really feel like this is hurting the team much, as frustrating as it is for the fans (and Gus of course).

but I think it’s a given he will be on the ice in game one of the playoffs along with Tats and Cleary. One way or another, Babs is going to end up with the playoff roster he wants and then it’s a new season and its hard to not at least like our chances to make some noise.

This deadline could really be interesting too. While I don’t think we’ll necessarily do anything (in fact, it’s probably still relatively unlikely as we just don’t need much besides a superstar dman), I still think this year brings by far the biggest chance we’ll do something of any of the last few years for a couple reasons. Our prospect cupboard is starting to bulge a bit AND, a bigger reason, Alfie’s addition. The narrative post-olympics is definitely going to be trying to win it for Alfie and he said quite explicitly that he picked Detroit over Ottawa because he wouldn’t want to pressure Ottawa into make moves they couldn’t afford to make. The implication is that he picked a team that he WOULD feel comfortable pressuring to make a move… and it’s hard to think Kenny doesn’t see this year and possibly next as a window of sorts with Alfie’s addition. I mean, what an incredible stopgap while some of these other kids ripen (man I can’t wait to see man-version of Mantha in two years).

But if there is actually a top-2 dman available at the deadline, holy crap would the cost be high. Tough call. Would they be THE difference maker would be the question? We have some pretty damn good dmen prospects coming up quickly and don’t need any long questionable contracts. There won’t be many teams selling that’s for sure.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 11/07/13 at 04:42 PM ET

having too many players is a good problem which sorts itself out.

How is it a good problem to have too many bottom six players, of whom many of them are either essentially duplicate players or simply mediocre, especially when having too many of these players is preventing the team from calling up NHL-ready prospects who would be a marked improvement over several who are on the NHL roster right now?

It’s the exactly opposite of a good problem and it is, in fact, very much not “sorting itself out”.

I still don’t get what Cleary has to do with anything.

Well then where the hell have you been?

Doesn’t really matter what the cap relief is.

Oh, well Jesus f*cking Christ, where have you been all this time?  Why not just do?  Why not ignore that the Wings get almost ZERO cap relief from doing so and when Ericsson comes off the IR the Wings would be right back in the same boat they’ve been in since the boneheaded decision to re-sign Cleary?

The problem with that is Mike Babcock doesn’t have the authority to sign players to contracts.  He could want Cleary back as much as anything in the world, but it’s up to the GM to ignore the cap and roster problems the Wings had and re-sign Cleary anyway.

Posted by Garth on 11/07/13 at 04:49 PM ET