The Malik Report

Tootoo Back To Detroit

DETROIT – The Detroit Red Wings today recalled right wing Jordin Tootoo from the AHL’s Grand Rapids Griffins.

Tootoo, 30, has skated in 50 games with the Red Wings over the last two seasons, recording eight points (3-5-8) and 83 penalty minutes. In 536 career NHL contests since 2003-04, Tootoo has totaled 133 points (49-84-133) and 808 penalty minutes in 536 games between Nashville and Detroit. The Churchill, Manitoba, native has skated in 12 games with Grand Rapids since joining the team on Nov. 14, tallying four points (1-3-4) and 23 penalty minutes. He has appeared in 112 career AHL games with the Milwaukee Admirals and Griffins, registering 53 points (24-29-53) and 422 penalty minutes.

added 4:02pm,

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Just in time for the roster freeze, which is…

11:59pm on the 19th until 12:01am on the 28th…all times local.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/18/13 at 03:38 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

This is why Holland signed “too many” forwards. BRILLIANT!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 12/18/13 at 03:42 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Not his biggest fan, but, the guy comes to play every single nite. He will bring some much needed heart with toughness.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 12/18/13 at 03:44 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Sit, Sammy, sit. Good boy.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/18/13 at 03:46 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

the guy comes to play every single nite

This alone, is an improvement over 50% of our forwards…
If they could just get into his head, that his job is to PROTECT our players, instead of engage other team’s tough guys, I would be happy as hell

Posted by Zqto on 12/18/13 at 03:51 PM ET

babymachine's avatar

i’d say it’s a safe bet Tootoo drops the gloves next time he’s in the lineup. anything to get us a spark…

Posted by babymachine from Portland, Oregon by way of Macomb, Michigan on 12/18/13 at 04:03 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Posted by babymachine

That’s the problem… The Red Wings have grown a culture of no fighting, I dont think anyone on the line-up will get a spark from a meaningless fight
I know I dont, when I watch it

Posted by Zqto on 12/18/13 at 04:13 PM ET

Not necessarily, he hasn’t been fighting too much while he was on Wings lately. I just love his relentless puck pursuit and hard hitting.

Posted by George0211 on 12/18/13 at 04:16 PM ET

TKShreve's avatar

I don’t mind him at all. He’s got everything to prove, and the energy to do so.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 12/18/13 at 04:21 PM ET

Alan's avatar

We could have used a bit of a spark last night. I felt more like I was watching a “Walking Dead” parody than I was a hockey game.

Yes, we have a “culture of no fighting” now, and that’s something we can all pat ourselves on the backs for, I guess. However, we also have kids and star players alike getting roughed, and no one out there is physical enough to dish it back. Even Kronwall has been quiet.

I’m not looking for fights out of Tootoo (but won’t blame him in the slightest if he has a dance or two), I’m looking for strong physical play. Someone who can dish back what the opponents dish out our way.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/18/13 at 04:27 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I was talking with George last night during the game and told him I had a flashback to the dark years of the Wings, first time I had that feeling in 30 years.

Wings were just skating and not playing hockey, it was like a very bad dream.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/18/13 at 04:37 PM ET

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/18/13 at 04:37 PM ET

Mentioned that a little bit in the live blog last night, too.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 12/18/13 at 04:38 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Wings were just skating and not playing hockey, it was like a very bad dream.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/18/13 at 04:37 PM ET

On the bright side, at least you were talking aboot the 80’s and not the late 60’s, and 70’s.

Fade to black.

Those were the worst of times in my memory.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 12/18/13 at 04:49 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I vaguely remember those years, Paul, as my age was single digits and the only games I could see here were broadcast on WGN when they’d play the Blackhawks.

But I did flashback to the not too distant past of watching Thrashers games. I can’t even begin to describe the feeling I had to that.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/18/13 at 04:50 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Ha, but I was Kate, I just didn’t want people to know how old I really am!

You are right Alan, they did look like the Thrashers.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/18/13 at 04:51 PM ET

Chet's avatar

they were SO. BAD.

was alarming.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 12/18/13 at 05:09 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/18/13 at 04:37 PM ET

I couldn’t get that thought out of my mind last night. That wasn’t just bad hockey last night, that was embarrassingly bad hockey, and that’s what we were served up nightly thirty years ago.

For my co-workers that follow the Wings the general reaction today was: we know the Yzerman/Hull/Shanny/Lidstrom golden years are behind us for good, but should it really be this bad??

Injuries are part of the problem, no question.

But only part.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 12/18/13 at 05:45 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Wings were just skating and not playing hockey, it was like a very bad dream.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/18/13 at 04:37 PM ET

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 12/18/13 at 06:02 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Older than the Cosmic Dust eh’ Paul. Not to worry, you’re not the only one. wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 12/18/13 at 06:28 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/18/13 at 04:27 PM ET

I completely agree.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 12/18/13 at 07:36 PM ET

RhymeTimeWingsDings's avatar

Tootoo, providing no scoring and iffy defense,  will be more exciting to watch than at least 5 players on last games roster.

Posted by RhymeTimeWingsDings on 12/18/13 at 11:58 PM ET

bleep bloop's avatar

How many shifts before Tootoo gets called for taking a phantom penalty?

Posted by bleep bloop on 12/19/13 at 03:23 AM ET

Tootoo has been great for the Griffins. I have seen a few fights but generally the opposing player has become the aggressor and probably ends up regretting it. He probably engages in some chin music to help provoke, but we have just been seeing him inflict some good hard hits. He has been playing significant minutes every night, so he should be ready.

Posted by griffinsfan on 12/19/13 at 07:43 AM ET