The Malik Report

Tony Granato To Wisconsin Is Official

Press conference today in the early afternoon.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

jpellek's avatar

Good for Tony…lots of hockey history at Wisky and the program has fallen on some hard times. I’m sure he’ll be up to the challenge though.

Posted by jpellek on 03/30/16 at 10:27 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I can’t blame him for grabbing himself hunk of cheese.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/30/16 at 10:36 AM ET

Good for him. But the big question is who Wings will replace him with who can keep the PK clicking like he did.

Posted by George0211 on 03/30/16 at 10:43 AM ET

Maybe Granato can bring Blashill with him as…um…some sort of…coach?

Posted by Garth on 03/30/16 at 11:00 AM ET

Rats ... sinking ship.

Posted by captaineclectic on 03/30/16 at 11:07 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

It was time for a change anyway, good luck Tony.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 03/30/16 at 11:18 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I’d love to see Bob Daniels from Ferris replace Granato.  http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/sports/mice/coaches/Daniels_Bob

Blash and Daniels know each other and have coached together.  Daniels has a different style, and heck we could use some adversity on this team if you ask me.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/30/16 at 11:19 AM ET

Rats ... sinking ship.

Maybe, though it’s also possible that Granato was just asked to stick around to have some continuity from the 10-year era of Babcock and the introduction of a rookie coach.

Posted by Garth on 03/30/16 at 11:32 AM ET

von Awesome's avatar

I still think Blashill can be a good NHL coach, like Mrazek, he has done well for himself on every level he’s coached at. His biggest obstacle is actually his boss. Ken Holland needs to pull his head out of his rear end, and give Blashill the tools to succeed with his system that by all rights should be a good competitive one for the NHL.

With that being said, Blashill is not exempt from criticism. His overusing of Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Kronwall was hurt this team, and now those three are fatigued and exhausted. Tatar and Nyquist have seen their AVG TOI drop considerably since last season. How are these guys going to score goals if they’re playing on the third line, receiving minutes that Abdelkader and Helm should be getting?  I’m astounded that Tatar has been able to put up 21 goals despite his usage, imagine if he was ridden as much as Zetterberg and Datsyuk? He’d be well into the thirty goal plane, and that’s without looking at his goals per 60 minutes ice time played. Nyquist, who is more of a Power Play specialist, is used in a perimeter role on the PP despite his success in Hiller’s system as the slot forward. Then, we look at the rotation of Smith and Marchenko despite the obvious indications that neither should be benched. The dumpster fire pairing of Kronwall and Ericsson being split up way too late. The panic mode line blender which kills line chemistry on offense, but was rarely ever used on defense where it was actually needed. And lastly, the yanking of goaltenders, last night’s being the straw that broke the camel’s back. But, these are rookie coaching mistakes, and easy to learn from in an off season of reflection and workshops.

The biggest issues fall in the lap of this team’s architect, Ken Holland. I do not want another two-three years of his contract to be more of the same. He needs to do something major in the offseason, or face the boot.

Posted by von Awesome on 03/30/16 at 11:38 AM ET

To be honest I didn’t really like that move. You want the new coach to have a clean slate and have his own guys. It kind of reminded me of Brad Ausmus keeping Gene Lamont on the Tigers. It hasn’t worked out well in both cases. Besides, Granato who was only there for just one year under Babcock.

Posted by harverine on 03/30/16 at 11:39 AM ET

Posted by harverine on 03/30/16 at 11:39 AM ET

I think Holland was probably pretty nervous about bringing in a rookie coach, considering the relative disappointment with the results of the last rookie coach.

Posted by Garth on 03/30/16 at 11:44 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by harverine on 03/30/16 at 11:39 AM ET

Maybe Blashill is the one that asked Granato to stay on just a year though?

Posted by Primis on 03/30/16 at 11:47 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by von Awesome on 03/30/16 at 11:38 AM ET

I want the exact opposite. There’s no fountain of youth that makes the Euro twins young again, no magic elixir in the UFA market, and sure we can trade, and Holland might, but I certainly don’t want to trade youth for older players, because like the UFAs, there is no one missing piece.

The last three years, we’ve seen many pure soaking wet rookies take lineup spots on this team, that’s what many of you asked for, give the kids a chance, that’s what I want to see continue next season, bye to Helm, Quincey, Richards, and he should ask Pavel and Kronner if they would like to be traded, lets see what we have in GR now that the need to keep this playoff streak is done.

The farewell season to the Joe will sell enough tickets, see what you have, and look to the new stadium to make a splash or do something.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 03/30/16 at 11:52 AM ET

Exactly right!  People who long for Babcock have to remember that it’s not like Babs would have done anything different, in fact, Larkin probably would’ve started the season in Grand Rapids while Andersson would still be playing 4th line minutes.  My biggest worry about Blashill is though that he is not enough of his own man tries to be Babcock light

Posted by bababooey on 03/30/16 at 11:57 AM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

I want the exact opposite.

I wouldn’t mind getting a veteran power-ish forward with good possession numbers who knows how to protect the puck, in the 27-30 age range, who can mentor Mantha/Svetchnikov, provide some more reliable scoring, and be an age buffer between the kids and the senior citizens.  Abby can bang, and he’s a good character guy, but I don’t really see him as a possession guy.

Posted by duhduhduh on 03/30/16 at 12:13 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by bababooey on 03/30/16 at 11:57 AM

Yes, and instead of Athanasioua and Mantha we’d have gotten a whole lot of Tangradi and Callahan getting only minor 4th line minutes.

Posted by Primis on 03/30/16 at 12:38 PM ET

No way those guys would have ever seen a Wing locker room with Babs coaching.

Posted by bababooey on 03/30/16 at 12:47 PM ET

Even Babcock had enough class to announce he is leaving after the season was over, not at the time when the team is fighting to make the playoffs.

Posted by VPalmer on 03/30/16 at 01:08 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

If Granato can’t teach Marchenko to keep his head on a swivel and find the other team’s leading scorer instead of marking empty ice maybe he can teach some young Badgers.

Posted by RWBill on 03/30/16 at 01:15 PM ET

No way those guys would have ever seen a Wing locker room with Babs coaching.

Like Nyquist and Tatar and Jurco and Pulkkinen and Sheahan never saw a Wings locker room under Babcock?

Posted by Garth on 03/30/16 at 01:16 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

lol, selective memory.  It was Babcock who put Nestrasil on the Opening Day ice in place of Cleary ( drink ).

Posted by RWBill on 03/30/16 at 01:16 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Babs also was the one who said he had every intention of convincing Holland to allow Mantha on the roster opening day of 2014/15 season.

But Babs was also the one who kept Jurco around, even though he could have benefited from another year in GR.

But hey, Babs hates the kids, and always will…for anyone who couldn’t stand him.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/30/16 at 01:41 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/30/16 at 12:13 PM ET

Yeah but those guys just don’t hang on trees waiting to be picked, every NHL team wants those type of players, and those types of players want to be on teams that aren’t rebuilding.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 03/30/16 at 01:44 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by bababooey on 03/30/16 at 11:57 AM ET

Bababooey is right, us young players never played for Mike Babcock, he always benched us, and never gave us ice time, or real opportunities to steal jobs, we get way more playing time under the new coach.

Signed,

Nyquist, Tatar, Sheehan, Jurco, Dekeyser, Glendening, Marchenko, Smith, Pulkinen, and Mrazek,

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 03/30/16 at 01:48 PM ET

Jurco would’ve had to pass through waivers, I believe.

Posted by Garth on 03/30/16 at 01:49 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Jurco would’ve had to pass through waivers, I believe.

He didn’t have to pass through waivers until the 2015/2016 season.  This is a pretty good analysis actually with some insight from the GM:

Posted by TreKronor on 03/30/16 at 02:01 PM ET

Any time we play the Pens, I am thinking we are missing (among other things) a player like Hornquist.

Posted by VPalmer on 03/30/16 at 02:13 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Two interesting quotes…

Babcock suggested he’d been voted down when the decision came to send Ouellet back to the minor leagues. “I got my two cents in, so I get one vote,” Babcock said. “He (Holland) gets two, so he can win, 2-1.  “It’s almost exactly like at home: I get one vote and my wife gets two, and I lose 2-1 lots.”

Babcock, on whether Tomas Jurco, who is waiver exempt, will make the season-opening roster: “He will if I’m picking the team.”

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 03/30/16 at 02:20 PM ET

He didn’t have to pass through waivers until the 2015/2016 season.

Well shit, I didn’t know that.

Posted by Garth on 03/30/16 at 03:42 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

For old times’ sake and further sphincter pull, here is the latest POS graph.  You can use any of several appropriate definitions of POS.

POS 29Mar16

Posted by RWBill on 03/30/16 at 05:00 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Does anyone know where Osieki’s hands are in that picture?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 03/30/16 at 05:38 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Exactly. We have to contend with rebuilding on the fly without totally tanking. The ship has been taking on water the past few years after Lidstrom retired. Need to repair it. grrr

Posted by bigfrog on 03/30/16 at 06:50 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Mark Oseicki needs to consider taking new headshots.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 03/31/16 at 12:14 AM ET