The Malik Report

Tomas Holmstrom’s day of Red Wings reckoning to come next week

According to the Detroit News’s Ted Kulfan, Tomas Holmstrom’s career with the Red Wings may informally come to an end when he meets with Ken Holland next week:

Holland plans on talking with Tomas Holmstrom next week to determine if there is a place on the roster for the 39-year-old forward.

With the recent additions of Mikael Samuelsson and Jordin Tootoo , the Red Wings are overflowing with forwards.

Holmstrom said he was interested in returning to play another season, but said his health would be a factor also in the decision.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I know MsRedWinger is dreading this.

[sigh]

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/06/12 at 01:18 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Not many men have taken the abuse he has to earn his keep, and without an ounce of respect from the referees. My affections in professional athletes have always leaned towards those of marginal ability who prevail through hard work and force of will. I shall miss Homer dearly.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/06/12 at 01:27 AM ET

awould's avatar

Lost in the free agent mania is the likely retirement of one of the greats in Detroit. His jersey may never hang from the rafters but there won’t ever be another like him. He carved out niche for himself on the team and defined a new type of role for the league. He’s awesome.

Posted by awould on 07/06/12 at 01:33 AM ET

The Demoman will be greatly missed. Few players take as much physical punishment as he does on a nightly basis and play through the pain. Living proof that hockey players are a different breed.

Posted by Varyag on 07/06/12 at 01:38 AM ET

Posted by awould on 07/05/12 at 11:33 PM ET

Agreed. Well said. Homer is a first-class warrior. He’ll be missed.

Posted by Seaner from San Jose on 07/06/12 at 01:39 AM ET

Tootoo the next net front presence?

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/06/12 at 01:41 AM ET

The new arena will have a ring of fame for players like him and great players that weren’t here long enough for their jersey to hang in the rafters (like Hull, Hasek, Lucky Luc)...

Posted by dca from in Mich on 07/06/12 at 01:57 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Say it ain’t so.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/06/12 at 02:00 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Tootoo the next net front presence?

It’s more likely to be Cleary, Abdelkader (if he survives a trade for “whoever”) or someone like Brunner or Andersson (if either makes the team). On the other hand, Tootoo may very well be as big a pain in the ass as Homer was if he’s willing to take a Homer-esqe level of punishment.

At the very least, I hope the Wings hire Homer as the Head of The Ass In Your Face coaches with additional duties as Chief of Mangled Swinglish. It’s a perfect fit because no one else could fill even one of those positions.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/06/12 at 02:03 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I’ve said it forever as I adore the guy:

I don’t understand why the Wings have never had a player follow Holmstrom around and told him to do everything Holmstrom was doing, but he could still do that as a power play coach—and in all honesty, as fantastic as his shot-tipping abilities are, and as much as his better positioning than most goaltenders may have served him so well, Holmstrom’s best attribute was his ability to chase down rebounds and place them on his teammates’ sticks.

Without Holmstrom, the power play was one-and-done, and with him, all those purposefully wide shots and rebounds wouldn’t wind up along the half boards or sliding back toward blueliners ready to rip pucks at the net.

I sure as hell hope that the Wings keep him around as a power play coach because he genuinely seems like he’s leaning toward staying in the U.S….

And the Wings need to at least raise his hockey pants to the rafters above both goals, about two or three inches in front of “shooter tutor” cutouts of goalies.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/06/12 at 02:09 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

The Michelangelo of the Red Wings, could count on him to bring it everynight, fuchin’ warrior.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/06/12 at 02:09 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

And yes, given the way Abdelkader played at the World Championships, the Wings want him to go to the front of the net…and stay there.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/06/12 at 02:09 AM ET

Abber on the first unit PP?  Interesting…

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/06/12 at 02:13 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

damned refs would still call a penalty for it. Even though we can clearly see in the replay he never touched nor was he in the crease.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 07/06/12 at 02:19 AM ET

I should’ve finished that thought.

Renney had Ryan Smyth in EDM.  I think he used him quite effectively.  George mentioned that one of Homer’s great abilities is his boardwork in puck retrieval; he could win those battles like no one else.  I hardly ever saw Smyth doing that in LA neither.  He only worked the middle of the ice from goalline to goalline.

Thanks, George, for that reminder.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/06/12 at 02:21 AM ET

hiero4life's avatar

Holmstrom should get a statue of his backside right infront of the visitors locker room so they have to go around his ass forever.  The guy is made of steel. He has taken so much punishment infront of that net night in and night out. How many BS interference calls and goals been taken away from him?  I’m going to seriously miss seeing him back that ass up and wondering what the hell he said during interviews.

Posted by hiero4life on 07/06/12 at 02:23 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Is that Ribeiro’s mugshot?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/06/12 at 02:27 AM ET

Posted by OlderThanChelios

Hahaha
And raising his pants would be awesome too

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 07/06/12 at 02:28 AM ET

Well, you guys might not understand what he means on interviews, but I’m from Brasil, and I dont have a perfect understanding of the english language
For me, his interviews always went something like this:

“Awihfa adaewijhd awojd aswodyugmn fch afih apcmna, FOR SURE

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 07/06/12 at 02:31 AM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

I love him like I love Yzerman, but I wouldn’t want to see him out there without his perfect half.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/06/12 at 02:34 AM ET

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 07/06/12 at 12:31 AM ET

No, that’s pretty much what we in the US heard, too

Posted by Seaner from San Jose on 07/06/12 at 02:41 AM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 07/06/12 at 12:31 AM ET

tudo bem! my wife is from minas.

Posted by awould on 07/06/12 at 02:49 AM ET

tudo bem! my wife is from minas.

Posted by awould on 07/06/12 at 12:49 AM ET

Would that be Minas Tirith or Minas Morgul?

Posted by Seaner from San Jose on 07/06/12 at 03:16 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Minas Tirith, right awould? wink :x

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/06/12 at 03:20 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Have you heard is English?!?

<grin>

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/06/12 at 04:08 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

is=his

fixed

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/06/12 at 04:08 AM ET

hiero4life's avatar

Is that Ribeiro’s mugshot?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/06/12 at 12:27 AM ET

Yeah

Posted by hiero4life on 07/06/12 at 04:55 AM ET

tudo bem! my wife is from minas.

Posted by awould

Hahahaha
Thats awesome

Ask her for some traditional “Pao de queijo” (translated “Cheese bread”, but they are not really a bread)
They are famous for it, here, and its delicious

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 07/06/12 at 08:56 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I know MsRedWinger is dreading this.

[sigh]

Posted by SYF from a drunken Guinness blitz on 07/05/12 at 11:18 PM ET

This.  ^^^^^  (Thanks for thinking of me, SYF.)

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/06/12 at 10:32 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I loved reading all the things you guys said.  I’m going to save all of these comments.  George, thanks for reminding us how great he was at digging for pucks and getting them to his line mates.  My desktop wallpaper is an image of him doing just that.

Homer, I’ll wear your #96 as long as I’m around.  Thanks.  Just thanks.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/06/12 at 10:38 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Great idea

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/06/12 at 10:47 AM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Homer was a great Wing and one of a kind. He’ll definetly be missed, what a beating he endured on a nightly basis. Thanks homer and good luck!

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/06/12 at 11:30 AM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Sadly, last season was the indicator to me that he was going. Either he was coached to NOT be in front of the net at all, or he was physically unable to do the magic he is known for. I believe our inability to hold the front of the net coupled with the fact that we have yet to replace Dallas Drake are the 2 key components to our lack of success in recent years….that and every other team is so damn fast that when Helm is out of the line-up we’re screwed.

Loved Homer, happy the torch will be passing to someone else…I just hope someone else will have the cajones to compete 82++ like he did. The bar has been set.

Posted by The Hurricane on 07/06/12 at 12:25 PM ET

awould's avatar

They are famous for it, here, and its delicious

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 07/06/12 at 06:56 AM ET

I know. It’s awesome.

Posted by awould on 07/06/12 at 12:39 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

well, perhaps, but also I think other teams are changing the way they do the PK, blocking more shots before they can get to the net.  This change was necessitated by officiating changes that made it harder to beat the crap out of guys (other than Homer) hanging around the net.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/06/12 at 12:43 PM ET

They are famous for it, here, and its delicious

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 07/06/12 at 06:56 AM ET

I know. It’s awesome.

Posted by awould on 07/06/12 at 10:39 AM ET

Great.  NOW I’m starving.

Do we get the samba dancers as well?

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/06/12 at 12:50 PM ET