The Malik Report

Todd Bertuzzi With A Thank You

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

A day after reaching a settlement in a battle that had been ongoing for a decade, Todd Bertuzzi reached out to the Detroit Free Press to deliver his reaction to the event.

"I have never spoken about this case," Bertuzzi said Wednesday. "I won't speak of it now. To all my fans, to all the teams and teammates I have played with and to all my friends, thank you. Thank you."

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

cowboycoffee's avatar

bad link!!

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 08/20/14 at 08:29 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

try this:

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 08/20/14 at 08:32 PM ET

Lucce's avatar

Todd ! One of the greatest Hockeyplayers ever. He should have joined Detroit earlier.

Posted by Lucce from Kingdom of Zweden on 08/21/14 at 02:16 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Good on ya Bert. Thanks for the career full of memories. Enjoy your retirement.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 08/21/14 at 02:45 AM ET

Iggy_Rules's avatar

I really grew to like Bert during the year he played for the Flames. Best of luck in the future, Bert. Hope you land on your feet!

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 08/21/14 at 07:43 AM ET

Paul's avatar

CC, thanks for the heads up last night.  I wasn’t near my computer but was able to fix it via my phone right after HW posted the correct link.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/21/14 at 07:46 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Like many of us here, I grew to really like Bert. All the best big guy.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 08/21/14 at 09:33 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

End of the article states he will stay in the Metro Detroit area this coming year.  So, is he done as a player?  Perhaps he’ll be joining the Wings staff?

Posted by TreKronor on 08/21/14 at 12:32 PM ET

Bert is a great guy from everything I have been reading about him. Just a very unlucky incident. He made a mistake, but he can do the same move from behind 10 more times and Moore would not get injured. The emotions in that game were too high and Crawford and referees among others should be responsible as well imo.

Posted by VPalmer on 08/21/14 at 04:22 PM ET

He really grew on me as a Red Wing, too. And I didn’t start out feeling that way for sure.

If the impact his awful judgement had on Moore’s health and career prospects are as reported, I can’t say Bert hasn’t deserved the past ten-plus years of excoriation, stress, scrutiny, etc.—not to mention the big chunk of his earnings he’ll have to hand over. On the one hand, he’s gotten to carry on with a lucrative career playing the game he loves. On the other, he’s done so with the weight and shadow of that one mistake following him everywhere, in a very public way. For most, his name will probably be synonymous with that act, with the dark side of hockey, forever.

But I don’t believe people are all good or all bad—scarcely any are, anyway. And to be defined by one moment and its awful consequences is a heavy weight indeed.

It was good to have him on the team as he changed and matured as a person.

Posted by Lefty30 on 08/21/14 at 07:44 PM ET

I have to also say that any environment in which Crawford and Burke were calling the shots—at least back then—had the potential to result in a toxic overreaction.

It’s only right that that organization and those principals bear some responsibility, too, to the extent they ordered or incited that kind of response from one of their employees.

Posted by Lefty30 on 08/21/14 at 07:50 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

My feelings exactly. As I mentioned previously, I met Bert a few times. A true gentleman.

Posted by bigfrog on 08/21/14 at 09:02 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Good luck to Bert!  No coincidence that after years of declining to do so Moore only agreed to get this over after Bertuzzi’s playing days and high income days are over.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 08/22/14 at 12:07 PM ET