The Malik Report

TMR technical status update

I’m no fan of these kinds of informal posts, but as it’s been three going on four days…

TMR is still offline at present due to technical difficulties. My ill laptop’s hard drive was only part of an illness which included a fried motherboard and toasted system memory (when I break something, I break it), and after what could be salvaged was retrieved…

An adventure began due to a combination of indecision on my part, a financial crunch, a desire to “shop locally” and the stated goal of being back in business ASAP, and despite the aid of what was supposed to be “overnight” shipping, the close of Friday’s business day came and went without my “almost new” nerve center being available to start setting up.

Now the technician at the shop suggests that my computer may bot be ready until Tuesday or Wednesday, which is obviously not acceptable, but I’ll try to get everything figured out on Saturday.

I am sincerely sorry for the inconvenience I have caused and I can at least assure you that this situation is just as unpleasant for me, and then some.

In a very big world with very serious problems, I know that these happenings are inconsequential at best, but simply as a person who’s a worker bee for a living, having no hive, if you will, still sucks in its own way.  Again, I’m sorry about the inconvenience and will be back to work as soon as I can.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Puppies and Hookers's avatar

We are entitled to 6 blog lengthy posts daily from you and these so-called technical issues displease us greatly…jk.  Take your time, we’ll survive even if it takes till Wednesday. wink

Posted by Puppies and Hookers from La la land on 09/03/11 at 06:59 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Hang in there George,  This too shall pass.

Personally I’m just grateful for the season the Tigers are having.  If they were wallowing deep in the pack, playing out the string in September with a calendar full of meaningless games, this whole hard drive fiasco might really be working my nerves.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 09/03/11 at 08:40 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Hey, GJM.

We’re looking forward to your coverage and personal insight on the skate to No. 12!

Kick back and enjoy the Labor Day weekend. We’ll be fine.
But when camp starts in TC? Well, buckle-up. You’re gonna be in it ‘til next June for sure.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 09/03/11 at 12:04 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Oh, and ...

GO BLUE!!!

(Hoke floats!  wink )

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 09/03/11 at 12:07 PM ET

I second stonehands’ comments. If this means you’re well rested for the rest of the year, it’s worth the trade-off. By the way, how are you doing financially (not that we don’t care about your emotional stress), but you sounded a bit behind before the costs of repairing the old one and (it sounds like) buying a used one.

Posted by bugsy on 09/03/11 at 12:52 PM ET

Sunday's avatar [quoteMaybe this is divine intervention to force you to take a break before the championship season?]

Life happens.  Washing machines leak, head gaskets blow, pets need surgery, laptops go foom, things get expensive just when the timing is worst.  It stinks bigtime.  All of us have been there, will be there again, and you don’t have to apologize.  We look forward to your posts, but if Powers Beyond Our Control say they’re on hold for awhile, then they’re on hold.  Rest up if you can!

Posted by Sunday from somewhere else on 09/03/11 at 01:02 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Bad news George. The Wings will fix your lap top, but in exchange you have to sell Amway products.

Posted by MoreShoot on 09/03/11 at 01:11 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

It’s OK George. Like Stoney says it’s a good time for this before things really start to happen. Better for this to happen now than in Oct- June time frame. Just take it easy for the holiday weekend we will survive.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 09/03/11 at 06:39 PM ET

Bradley97's avatar

I know George would never ask this, and maybe I’m crazy for throwing this out there, but does anyone have an extra (perhaps older but still fully capable) laptop George could use as a backup for when he has problems with his primary machine? I’m talking worst case George having to add ram, maybe swapping out the hard drive for something larger, and adding a better internet type of card into the slot (or usb, whatever works for him). The prices I’ve seen put that upgrade around $100 or less depending on the deal (that does not include the programs he needs, like an OS and Word, but I’m guessing he has unused licenses for Word just like me, and also a good anti-virus program).

Hmm, maybe getting a good deal on a $300 laptop is the way to go after all. All I know is I’m now in my fourth year with my Lenovo that I purchased at Microcenter for around $300, I have Vista and use NOD32 (I was able to purchase the 4-pack with my new computer), and Word 2007 (at this time of year it’s usually less than $100). I know refurbished deals are always out there, but I’d go new and get a great case to keep it safe. Also, I’ve heard it’s best to stay away from the more powerful CPU’s (dual core, etc.) and stick with Celeron’s because the former get too hot in a laptop. Please correct me if my information is outdated. I don’t know about AMD since I only purchase Intel. I also use a lap/table tray with holes that is raised off the ground to allow the fan room for airflow. Mine is simple and cheap with no electronics. I’ve heard the plugin fans can be tricky because some don’t flow in the correct direction.

I don’t know how you handle your laptop at home and away, George, but I treat mine like a baby because the last thing I want is a stupid problem I could have prevented. Good luck with your machine, and if anyone has any other maintenance advice I think this would be a good time to share for everyone so that none of us, including George, are left computer-less when we need one the most!

Posted by Bradley97 on 09/04/11 at 10:52 AM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

What ever you do, don’t put more money into the computer than what it is worth.  my son’s laptop fried the hard drive last year and over the next few months it nickle and dime us to a cost of 150 dollars over what we paid for it when it was new.  he learned there comes a time when it is better to make the computer into a door stop, and buy new.

As for the 300 dollar special that can be found out there, both my dad and a friend of ours have gotten the 300 dollar Compact that can be found in most Best Buys. While it is not a souped up game machine it handles everything else really well.

Of course if your budget is like mine even that price might cause one to find Lefty outside the local dive bar and get the loan from him. Then again I think Lefty’s interest rate might be better than the local bank

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 09/04/11 at 03:32 PM ET

I was a bit confused by the above, if he’s talking about the overnight shipping for a backup unit, if he’s transplanting the old parts into a used computer, etc. Part of what I was hinting at above was if he needed x$ extra via the paypal link we used earlier to give money to him.

I second the Lenovo suggestion. It’s reputation is lower for repairs nowadays, but I’ve been pleased with them over the years for durability and only 1 repair on 2 laptops. Not sure how good their outlet is, but their website has new/never shipped, refurbished, etc., on sale. Good customer support, too (no, I don’t work for them, and it’s not the only brand I’ve owned).

Posted by Bugsy on 09/04/11 at 04:59 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Thanks for the suggestions ..given what I do for a living, I can’t get by on a lower end laptop, regrettably.

I had to buy a refurbished machine and its extra memory won’t arrive till Tuesday but I spent all of Saturday setting it up and I will try to get back to work tonight and tomorrow.

Most of the delays involved waiting for attempts to salvage the hard drive and expecting the 8 gig memory stick to arrive after it was supposed to be shipped overnight but never showed up.

I can say that I definitely learned that “keeping things local” isn’t necessarily any better than going to a big box store as truly decent repair shops are hard to find. The local shop was neither speedy nor particularly helpful in building a replacement.

I’m sorry for the inconveniences and interruptions in coverage again…sometimes you learn things the hard way :/

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/04/11 at 05:34 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

George, I hope you are up and running soon - for your sake.  I have a feeling that this little “break” you had was anything but relaxing, as you sound very itchy to get back to work.

But don’t ever feel you have to apologize - especially for things that are beyond your control.  All of us know, and appreciate, your dedication and your hard work.  We’ll be here.

cool smile

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 09/04/11 at 06:14 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

The “break” was miserable by my standards—I feel much better when I’m doing at least a little bit of work each day (see: “vacation”)—and the fact that I’m on Amoxicillin for a lingering sinus infection didn’t help.

I just wish I knew now what I knew five days ago. Learning may build character, but I’ve believed that character is ridiculously overrated for a long time now wink

The support’s what’s blown me away over the past week, though, and the feeling is very mutual. I’m just overwhelmed by the kindness, care and concern that everybody’s sent my way. I have yet to receive a, “Whatever, get back to work!” and that’s pretty remarkable.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/04/11 at 06:38 PM ET

George, don’t be hesitant to put up the paypal link again, since I figured you’re worse off now than before with this situation.

George, with the amount of work you do, you’re well above the norm. Don’t worry about the down time.

Okay, everyone, next we buy George new sinuses.

Posted by Bugsy on 09/04/11 at 06:58 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

As far as I’m concerned, George, if you miss the prospect tournament or training camp because of this, you keep the money I’ve donated because there’s always next year, or whatever comes up during the season.  Don’t bust a hernia running around trying to get everything ready.  Your health is more important than that.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 09/05/11 at 11:27 AM ET