The Malik Report

Throwing an octopus at JLA is no longer a misdemeanor, but its aftermath is less than delightful

Michigan Hockey's Michael Caples spoke with the Red Wings fan who tossed an unboiled octopus on the ice during the Wings-Bruins tilt, and while Katie Sochiacki felt that the experience was worth getting kicked out of a Wings game--and it's worth noting that she wasn't issued a $500 fine or charged with a misdemeanor (that was the policy the NHL may or may not have convinced the City of Detroit to enforce starting in 2011), Caples reports that once one throws an octopus, it's not exactly a "fun" experience for the "thrower":

The 19-year-old Sochiacki said she felt like she was “on the top of the world” after taking part in the Hockeytown tradition. She missed the end of the game, however, as she was detained by security shortly after throwing the squid.

“Someone told me before about the whole jersey change thing, you change your jersey and you’re good to go because they can’t find you, but they were so quick about it, I think they knew it was going to happen – they knew my little plan.

“My friend’s giving me a victory hug, has me lifted over his head, and all of a sudden the security guard pulls me down, wrestles me to the ground. Honestly, I was terrified. It was like ‘Oh my’, I didn’t know I could get in that much trouble. They take it pretty serious. Security was no joke, that’s for sure.”

Sochiacki said that security took down her information and took a mug shot of her while she was detained. If she ever attempts to throw another octopus at Joe Louis Arena, she won’t be allowed back for any more Red Wings.

Caples continues, and please remember, if you wish to enjoy getting kicked out of the game and detained by security for the sake of tossing a cephalophod on the ice, at least boil the damn thing.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

The NHL, trying to it’s best to be the NFL (No Fun League). It isn’t as bad as it used to be, just let it go. Freaking FLA and their rats really ruined it for the rest of us.

Posted by tmoore4075 on 04/04/14 at 02:57 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

IToo bad security wasn’t as quick when those hawks fans jumped that man in front of his kids.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/04/14 at 03:05 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

it slipped out of my hands, and the guy sitting second row, it splatted all over the back of his head and back of his jersey,” Sochiacki said.

Yeaaaaaaahhhhh….boil that sucker next time.

Posted by TreKronor on 04/04/14 at 03:06 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/04/14 at 04:01 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/04/14 at 04:01 PM ET

“Some girl got some on her face, too.”

Posted by TreKronor on 04/04/14 at 04:04 PM ET

perfection's avatar

the wings are kind of hypocrites about the octopi. i realize openly condoning the tradition could lead to utter chaos on the ice, but it’s also a bit disingenuous to be so hardcore and aggressive to these fans while the marketing dept continues to promote the octopi as a mascot and even has shown Al swinging one over his head in promotional videos.

Tossing one on opposition ice in the playoffs is obviously an act of aggression and is to be done at your own risk. But throwing one at the Joe where the team obviously openly embraces the tradition shouldn’t result in the exact same treatment.

but again, I realize they can’t just allow it… I don’t know what the compromise should be. How about at least not being jerks about it?

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/04/14 at 04:13 PM ET

awould's avatar

I don’t understand the need to manhandle somebody for what amounts to a childish prank. Even more so the Octopus tradition at the Joe.

Posted by awould on 04/04/14 at 05:17 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

red winger…. now that’s funny

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/04/14 at 05:38 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

No mention about being banned from the new Little Caesars Arena we’re moving to in a couple of years….worth the risk I think. smile

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 04/05/14 at 01:57 AM ET