The Malik Report

Three Key Pieces Missing From The Lineup But Let’s Get Ready To Play

from Bill Roose of the Wings' website,

It’s believed to be the first time in their careers that the Red Wings will be without both of the Euro Twins concurrently.

“It affects us, they’re good players, but other players are good players, too, so if you haven’t liked your share of the pie, grab some,” Wings coach Mike Babcock said. “We’re a team, it’s a team sport. Are those guys important? No question. (Danny) DeKeyser’s a star for us as well. Those are three important pieces. We don’t have them. What are we going to do about it? Let’s get ready to play tomorrow. Philly doesn’t care if they’re playing or not.”

For years, Zetterberg has taken increased measures to protect the discs in his lower back through exercises meant to strength his core and stabilize the lumbar region. Now it’s a matter of rest to cool down the inflamed nerve.

“Once you have issues with your back you always will and you learn to live with it and play with it,” Zetterberg.said. “But at the same time you know when it’s worse than normal. That’s how it is right now.

“Sitting is the worst. I think anyone with back issues knows that.”

The pain resurfaced last week, Zetterberg said, but he managed to play through it before it became intolerable and he went for an MRI on Monday.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Back issues are such a drag.  Unfortunately for the Wings and Z, chronic problems like this can cut a career short.  Not saying this episode will do that, but these conditions don’t get better with age.

Posted by cantskate on 12/03/13 at 04:19 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

“...if you haven’t liked your share of the pie, grab some,” Wings coach Mike Babcock said

Babcock went on to say, “But we’re not going to move you up to a top line (cough*Tatar*cough), so grab some of that third-line pie and show me you’re a top-line guy. But, even if you somehow do that, don’t think you’ll stay there because ‘ties’ always go to the veterans. So, you know, get some ‘pie’ now while I’m forced to give you a shot at getting a slice. And enjoy it – it’ll be the last ‘taste’ you get.”

Babcock’s bullshit platitudes, together with Holland’s ramblings today about moving talent from GR to Detroit, make me sick.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/03/13 at 07:16 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

“Sitting is the worst. I think anyone with back issues knows that.”

He is so right. Sitting is unbearable when ever I have a flare up.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 12/03/13 at 07:16 PM ET

His back hasn’t taken him out of the lineup in several seasons…why couldn’t it have just stayed fine? Stupid back.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 12/03/13 at 07:32 PM ET

I missed it. What did Holland say about moving talent from GR to Detroit? Never unless it’s an absolute necessity and there’s no way around it?

Posted by teldar on 12/03/13 at 10:22 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I missed it. What did Holland say about moving talent from GR to Detroit?

It’s in George’s overnight report.

This is the relevant remark that I was referring to: “In order to be successful, we’ve got to draft, we’ve got to develop, we’ve got to move people within our system from the draft table through Grand Rapids to Detroit.”

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/04/13 at 12:28 AM ET