The Malik Report

Thrashers to Winnipeg: it’s a done deal???

Wow, per the Globe and Mail’s Stephen Brunt:

An agreement to sell the National Hockey League’s Atlanta Thrashers to a Winnipeg group which plans to relocate the franchise to the Manitoba capital is done.

Sources confirmed tonight that preparations are being made for an announcement Tuesday, confirming the sale and transfer of the Thrashers to True North Sports and Entertainment, which owns and operates the Manitoba Moose of the American Hockey League and the MTS Centre arena, which would become the NHL team’s new home.

Gary Bettman, the commissioner of the National Hockey League, is expected to travel to Winnipeg to make the news official.

As far as I know, the “Moose” would remain in the Eastern Conference for the upcoming season….

Update: TSN’s Darren Dreger says otherwise:

There are still significant issues being negotiated according to Wpg and Atlanta sources. Working on it…but deal is not done. More ahead.

Update #2, at 2:52 AM: The Hockey News’s Ken Campbell says that the NHL and the Thrashers’ owner, Bruce Levenson, are still hung up on who gets what out of the $110 million Thrashers’ asking price and the $60 million relocation fee. Campbell believes that the NHL wants to snag all of the $60 million as essentially a “cash grab” that will negate the $15 million the league is losing on the Coyotes this season.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

HOLY SHIT that was QUICK !

Posted by Evilpens on 05/19/11 at 10:25 PM ET

Alan's avatar

It’s not done. Even Daly says it’s not done.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 05/19/11 at 10:41 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Hate to tell ya Alan if it’s Being reported than Most Likely it’s Done

Posted by Evilpens on 05/19/11 at 10:42 PM ET

Alan's avatar

If that’s the case, so be it. However, multiple media sources are saying it’s not done. Will it get done? Probably. Is it? No.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 05/19/11 at 10:43 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Whenever a report like this comes out, both sides react in different ways.

Could it be close, very possible from one side but the other side may not think things are done to the point where they will deny things.

It could also mean nothing and until we hear from either Bill Daly or Gary Bettman, I would take anything like this as a report, not set in stone yet.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/19/11 at 10:47 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

That’s why I updated the post with some question marks and Dreger’s commentary.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/19/11 at 10:51 PM ET

Matt Fry's avatar

My sources are Gary Bettman, Bill Daly and Mark Chipman.  I hope it’s true but I won’t get too excited until these guys say it’s so.  We’ve been down this road before… Trust me, living here, there’s a new story every day or two… for like two dang years.  Hopefully, this one will actually be true… or at least true by Tuesday, if Bettman is coming actually coming for a Press conference.

Posted by Matt Fry from Winnipeg on 05/20/11 at 12:03 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Does this mean the Wings move to the Eastern Conference?
cheese

Posted by w2j2 on 05/20/11 at 12:08 AM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by w2j2 on 05/19/11 at 11:08 PM ET

If the Wings manage to pull it off, it’ll become a whole lot easier for me to follow the team I loved through my childhood.

I became a Thrashers fan after the franchise was awarded in 1997. However, I never once stopped following my Red Wings.

It’ll be easier for me to shift back to following the Red Wings, since I never stopped following them to begin with. For other fans in Atlanta, it may be so much more difficult for them to even follow the NHL again.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 05/20/11 at 12:47 AM ET

aaron in phoenix's avatar

Why has reporting gone from accuracy to who breaks the story first?

Posted by aaron in phoenix from Section 102 on 05/20/11 at 01:29 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

It goes like this, Aaron:

1. Breaking story!

2. Denial, denial, denial, denial for between 24-48 hours.

3. Real story comes to light.

I’ve spent six months of my life in Winnipeg and I nearly married a Manitoba girl, so I don’t take toying with the emotions of Winnipeggers or Manitobans lightly. it’s been “breaking news” practically since 1996, and it drives me nuts that people jerk around with so many people’s lives for the sake of generating web hits, newspaper sales and discussion—and as you know, it’s involved the people of Phoenix and Atlanta, Quebec City, Long Island, Miami and more over the past two or three years.

I don’t want to do the same, believe me. I’m sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/20/11 at 03:29 AM ET

Alan's avatar

No feathers ruffled here, George. I follow you and your reporting, both here and on Twitter. I know you wouldn’t simply throw something up for the sake of site hits.

Speaking of stories, I ran across this. I wonder exactly how true it is.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 05/20/11 at 03:54 AM ET

Alan's avatar

I guess that’ll teach me to post before hitting refresh.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 05/20/11 at 03:55 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Don’t worry about it. I just read it on my late-night rounds, too. If I hadn’t, I would have clicked on your link.

I’d rather have KK members posting those links than not. Never, ever worry about double-posting something. It’s a huge help and it’s greatly appreciated.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/20/11 at 04:08 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I don’t understand how this deal has anything to do with the money the NHL has been losing on the Yotes.  I hope Bettman doesn’t kill this move with this attempted money grab.

I would love to see Winnipeg have a team again.

And I really, really would love it if the Wings moved to the East, but I don’t see that happening.  Bettman would never let that happen.  We want it, so we won’t get it.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/20/11 at 09:27 AM ET

Matt Fry's avatar

I don’t really mind George.  It’s not like you have a report on this every day.  It may be the first story about Winnipeg that might actually have merit.  So it’s good you throw that on here.  I’m probably just inundated with Free Press and Sun stories for so long, so I probably just snapped wink  Mine definitely wasn’t directed at you

However, I discovered today (Don’t read G&M very often) that Globe & Mail is owned by David Thompson family so it may not be far off the truth.  Oh well, all I can do is wait and see what happens.

Posted by Matt Fry from Winnipeg on 05/20/11 at 05:25 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I’m insulted by the Sun and Free Press stories, too…Makes the adopted Winnipegger in me fume like windshield washer fluid above -20 F/C (funny how the temperature scales converge there)...

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/21/11 at 11:32 AM ET