The Malik Report

This year’s Red Wings trade deadline freak-out has become a mosh pit. And that ain’t cool.

I stepped out to do a little, "I was boogery and the mom ran out of pop" drug-store run and I was surprisingly greeted by something I haven't gotten much of late: a stiff breeze and non-wind-noise silence.

Nobody swearing at each other in the comments sections, nobody yelling past each other on Twitter. Nobody saying, "Either go for it or blow it all up, this team is STALE!" or, "Promote everyone, waive everyone, trade everyone, fire everyone!"

It was nice. As of today, the Detroit Red Wings are a day away from a trade deadline which will probably provide no activity other than the team recalling Brian Lashoff from Grand Rapids, and a practice which will precede a 2-game road trip through Phoenix and Nashville, and, somehow, the injury-addled and youth movement-enduring Wings are in seventh place in the Western Conference, but are also only 3 points out of 4th place.

Sometimes I wonder whether what the Red Wings' coaches, management and players have admitted is as close to a rebuilding and/or transitional year as we're going to see here in Detroit, at least when the team's asking over $135 for seats on the glass and season ticket-holders tell me that playoff prices are going up, has registered with the fan base at all.

Especially over the past two months, the ever-twitchy, ever-bipolar Red Wings nation has begun to sound like Detroit Lions fans during the 0-and-16-or-nearly-so seasons. With every lineup change or other team's recall that's met with disapproval, you can practically hear the knives, pitchforks and torches come out, with fans ready to snap at each other and march on Ken Holland and Mike Babcock's homes (as if they're the only people who make decisions for the team, and as if they're the ones scoring goals and making saves).

If the Red Wings' management is anything, it is perhaps too consistent and too truthful with its message.

After the team struck out on Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, we were told that the team would take its "depth" signings (see: Mikael Samuelsson, Jonas Gustavsson, Jordin Tootoo and, eventually, Carlo Colaiacovo) and ease into a transitional year.

After most of its "depth" signings and many of its key players got injured, the team reluctantly embraced what is as close to a youth movement as we're ever going to see in Detroit. The present iteration of the Wings' roster includes two 30-plus-year-olds on defense, 28 and 29-year-old goaltenders and six of fifteen total forwards over the age of 30. By Red Wings standards, you can't get much "greener."

And Ken Holland, Mike Babcock and the rest of the Wings' coaches and management have indicated that they plan on riding said youth movement out, attempting to re-sign Jimmy Howard and Damien Brunner, reassessing the team's future after whatever playoff run this team embarks upon, and then meaningfully addressing the team's need for a top-pair defenseman and a top-six, scoring forward who's big and strong by closely watching the cap compliance buy-outs as so many teams are in a crap-ton of cap trouble in terms of retaining their best players even if the cap were not to drop from $70.2 million to $64.3 million this summer.

Do I like that "let's stand pat and see what our kids can do come playoff time, and then make room for full-time promotions for Nyquist, Andersson and Tatar this summer, and maybe see if we can add to the mix" philosophy?

I'm not necessarily thrilled with it, but as a Wings fan who's seen the team go through significant ups and downs over my 22-year tenure as a fan, I understand why the organization's preaching a "steady as she goes, and player performances on the ice will dictate what moves we make off the ice after and only after we battle our way through this rebuilding/transitional year" mantra.

That's the way the team operates, and as someone who battles significant chronic illnesses on a daily basis, I don't have the energy to go bat-shit insane any time that the team makes or does not make a personnel move that I disagree with. I wouldn't have the energy to get out of bed, never mind do this job, if I reacted as violently as some Wings fans seem to do on such an incredibly regular basis.

It seems to throw many Wings fans into fits. It seems to make many of you so angry that you seem ready to burn your Wings jerseys and stomp away in anger, never to return to watching hockey again UNLESS the Wings make a BIG move between today and tomorrow at 3 PM EDT.

At least that's what things sound like, given your comments and Tweets.

'This team is probably going to make the playoffs but won't go far this season, and I can't take this steady trajectory anymore! Go for it or blow it up NOW!"

That ends up sounding more like, "This has been a difficult season, and I'm not only tiring of the team's inconsistency--it's also boring me--so I want the team to do something to grab my attention again."

That's definitely what the local sports talk radio station sounded like when I tried to listen to someone who watches two or three non-playoff Red Wings games a season try to instigate a plasma state amongst the already freaked-out and bubbling, boiling, Twilight-teenage-angst-worthy freak-out that is the Wings' fan base right now.

Then I switched NPR back on and went about my business.

Whether you and I like it or not, the Red Wings' management may be bunkered down at Joe Louis Arena, but given its historical tendencies and given its statements to the media of late, Ken Holland, Jim Nill, Ryan Martin, Kris Draper, Mark Howe and the pro scouts, Joe McDonell and the amateur scouts and the coaching staff aren't likely to do much more than "explore."

There aren't many top-pair defensemen or top-line goal-scoring forwards who fit into the Red Wings' roster and salary cap picture going forward, at least not without forcing the team to take on more in cap space than they'd like and without forcing the team to trade prospects who the team believes will become its foundation going forward.

So the team will probably stand pat.

My question to you, as a fellow Wings fan, is this: if the Wings do nothing, is your discontent with the team great enough that you're going to walk away over the lack of an attention-grabbing trade?

Because I don't sense that there's a significant amount of...sense...among Wings fans right now. Not many people who seem to be willing to accept that even if the team does things that you disagree with, disagreement should not necessarily yield a termination of support.

The Wings probably won't make a trade over the next 20-some hours.

The team will probably survive.

The team will probably make the playoffs, though, as currently constructed, it's not a 3 or 4-round-pushing machine.

The team will probably more meaningfully address its roster needs through free agency, as it is wont to do.

That's not the way I like it, uh uh, uh uh, but that's the way it's probably going to go down.

I can live with that, and I'm not going to bite anyone's head off simply because he or she might passionately disagree with me.

Would some of you be so kind as to slow down for a minute before going into a spastic rage over differences of opinion over the next 20-some hours? Because that would be swell.

You can keep yelling at me--that's kind of my job, to provide you with someone to yell at during times like these--but if we can crank up the respect factor among each other, that'd be greatly appreciated. Even mosh pits tend to have codes of conduct.

Update: As if you needed a reminder, from the Free Press's George Sipple:

Wings general manager Ken Holland said that most of the deals at the deadline are “depth moves."

“Every year, there’s the odd big deal, but teams really make their moves at the June draft,” Holland said. "And then there’s some rentals."

“History tells you there’s going to be 20 to 30 trades, but there’s going to be lots of deals made for depth. I’ve had some conversations with some teams about the odd depth player. I don’t really have any interest."

The Wings already have an abundance of depth at each position. Impact players could come from their own roster in the form of injured forwards Todd Bertuzzi, Darren Helm and Mikael Samuelsson.

“Barring a setback, we’re hoping, sometime in the next couple of weeks, (Bertuzzi) is going to play,” Holland said.

“It’s been a tough year with Helm with injuries. It’s been a tough year with Bert with injuries, tough year for Sammy with injuries. We’ve been able to stay afloat, and I think our depth has kept us afloat. For me to go out and get a depth (guy)…I can’t go out and acquire somebody that’s any better than the depth we’ve got.”

Update #2: From ESPN's Craig Custance's chat session:

John (Wings fan in Minny): With Filppula a UFA and wanting 5+ mil a year and the Wings not wanting to give it to him, is it a possibility that Kenny Holland actually trades him? KH never seems to get rid of UFAs at the deadline...

Craig Custance: John - I know the Red Wings like Jagr and Bouwmeester. With those two off the market, I don't think they'll be too active. Ken Holland is just looking for his team to get healthy and make a run. Don't see them being sellers either.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >       Next »

Vladimir16's avatar

I said it before and I’ll say it again: If Holland does not move White and Filppula and loses them for nothing I don’t understand it. And this “plugging holes during the summer” is all well and good if’n the plugs aren’t the likes of Samuelsson, Colawhateverhisnameis and “The Monster”.
I’m a seller at this point and am losing faith in The Brass.

As far as being done with the Wings? Naaahhhh… I boycotted spending a dime on them this year because of the lockout and it’s saved me a substantial amount of caysh but I’m not gonna quit rooting for them because Tick Tock has gotten soft.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/02/13 at 03:56 PM ET

I’m a Red Wings fan and I will always support this team. I’ve seen them win 4 Stanley Cups in the past 15 years, and 6 Finals appearances in 18. This is a rebuilding year and nothing else, yet the team is still competing for a playoff spot. How many rebuilding teams in the league can say that?

Expectations are high every year, but fans need to temper them for the next 2-3 seasons. Detroit is no longer elite and is working through a process nearly every other team has done the last 7-10 years in this league. You can’t be great forever, but you can be competitive.

I trust Holland and Co. will take the measures needed this offseason to “fix” the roster issues, to cut the dead weight and infuse youth/new faces to invigorate this team once again. I think five years from now, we’ll look back and be happy the brain trust decided to stand pat and sort things out through the draft.

Posted by jpellek on 04/02/13 at 03:56 PM ET

My question to you, as a fellow Wings fan, is this: if the Wings do nothing, is your discontent with the team great enough that you’re going to walk away over the lack of an attention-grabbing trade?

It amazes—absolutely f*cking floors me—that people can look at the amount of passionate argument in the comments and assume that it means people are going to simply walk away from the team they love so much.

I don’t think I only speak for mysef when I say we’re passionate for a reason: we f*cking love the Detroit Red Wings and want them to be successful.

To read these comments and see apathy is astonishing to me and ,to me, apathy is the only reason one would walk away from his/her favourite team.

Posted by Garth on 04/02/13 at 03:58 PM ET

I am offended by the notion that we cannot offer criticism of either Holland or Babcock and be labeled as fans.  It is the fact that we care for our team and are passionate about it that keeps people reading your blogs and discussing them, George.  Shame on you to suggest that we fans who watch the games, buy their merchandise and buy tickets have no right to offer our opinions.  Since when did Ken Holland or any of the others in Wings management become untouchable?

Posted by bababooey on 04/02/13 at 04:02 PM ET

As I said elsewhere, I’m baffled by the strategy—saying every offseason we’re leaving large amounts of salary room so we can add at the deadline, then not adding at the deadline, holding players we intend to let walk when they’re regular healthy scratches (White), hoarding young talent that can’t crack the roster and overpaying mediocre veterans—but no, I’m not about to find a new team to root for.

But seems to me that if we’re more than one move away from contending for the Cup, well, a) part of that’s on the management, because not long ago we did contend, and b) we might as well start making moves to get back to that level now.

In my mind, Bouwmeester—a bona fide top-pairing guy, still on the right side of 30—would’ve gone a long way to getting us back to where we needed to be, and losing out on him was a big whiff.  I don’t care about Iginla/Jagr/Roy/Bergeron or even Regehr.

But of course those points can and should be made calmly and respectfully, to the extent possible.

Posted by captaineclectic on 04/02/13 at 04:02 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I don’t think I’m one of the yellers, but if I’ve come across that way that certainly hasn’t been my intent.  It is starting to get old that his happens at every deadline.

We’re all friends here guys (I think).  Maybe we can take a collective chill pill?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/02/13 at 04:02 PM ET

It’s fine to be passionate, all die hard fans are, but I can’t stress myself out over decision(s) I can’t control. I’d love for Detroit to be able to wheel and deal and become that team to beat again, but I don’t see it happening in the relative near term. It doesn’t make anyone less of a fan to have that opinion, its just a way for me to temper my disappoint if nothing does occur the rest of today and tomorrow.

Posted by jpellek on 04/02/13 at 04:03 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Exactly Garth.  I read the comments and I don’t see fans quitting on the wings, just frustration.  Nobody’s leaving.  I don’t see this glaring lack of respect either.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/02/13 at 04:03 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

You know, as a Red Wings fan, I take enough shit from non-Wings fans who want to categorize me by some stereotypical vision they have of my fanbase. I don’t need this shit from both sides.

I can live with that, and I’m not going to bite anyone’s head off simply because he or she might passionately disagree with me.

An impassioned plea for somebody to remove one’s own head accomplishes the same thing.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/02/13 at 04:04 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

And I’m a little tired of being criticized (twitchy, bi-polar) for being a passionate fan.  Sorry we can’t all be such no-nonsense supporters of this flawless organization.  If ken holland is failing I’m going to say so.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/02/13 at 04:11 PM ET

Posted by jpellek on 04/02/13 at 04:03 PM ET

That’s fine, as long as you (or George, or whomever) don’t think that being coolheaded somehow makes you a better fan than us deranged hotheads.

But seems to me that if we’re more than one move away from contending for the Cup…we might as well start making moves to get back to that level now.

Exactly.

If we’re not one move away then how do you get one move away unless you make moves?  If we’re three moves away then why is it smart to make zero moves?

Posted by Garth on 04/02/13 at 04:15 PM ET

The hate on here is nowhere close to the crazies on Twitter who criticize people like myself who call out the team as well. I like being told how I need to be a fan.

Posted by jpellek on 04/02/13 at 04:15 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I’m not asking people to not be pissed off. Pissed off is fine. Screaming past each other is not.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/02/13 at 04:15 PM ET

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/02/13 at 04:11 PM ET

Fuch yes.

Posted by Garth on 04/02/13 at 04:16 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 04/02/13 at 04:15 PM ET

I don’t think I’m a better fan at all. We just have differing opinions on things, which is what makes being a sports fan fun.

Posted by jpellek on 04/02/13 at 04:19 PM ET

Kind of like your post after Sunday’s humiliating loss?  Pot, meet kettle.

Good call, chief.  Glad you got on board this year after nearly 4 with your head in the sand.  Keep it up.

Posted by jkm2011 on 04/02/13 at 04:22 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Twitter is a stupid place to have nuanced conversations.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/02/13 at 04:22 PM ET

Twitter is a stupid place.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/02/13 at 04:22 PM ET

Fixed.

On the Wing front, the passion from so many of us I imagine comes from investing decades of our lives into this team.  More than half our lives for some I would imagine.  It makes me ornery when the Wings are doing things I don’t like.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/02/13 at 04:25 PM ET

Posted by jpellek on 04/02/13 at 04:19 PM ET

I don’t think that you think you’re better than anyone either, your comment just happened to be the one I responded to.  My mistake.

Posted by Garth on 04/02/13 at 04:28 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Twitter is a stupid place.
Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/02/13 at 04:22 PM ET

What is this Twitter of which you write? Is this the place where all the twits hang-out on the Gore?

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 04/02/13 at 04:29 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 04/02/13 at 04:28 PM ET

No worries.

Posted by jpellek on 04/02/13 at 04:29 PM ET

Screaming past each other is not.

Maybe the problem is that you need to dial down the tone you use when you read the comments.

Posted by Garth on 04/02/13 at 04:29 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

It all boils down to respect: you give none, you get none. Some people don’t care about giving respect or being respected, and that’s fine; however, don’t expect those of us who do care about it to sit idly by while people try to abuse the anonymity of the Internet.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/02/13 at 04:30 PM ET

Maybe I’ve just grown thick skin but who is “screaming past each other”?  What I see is passionate discussion but I have not seen any name-calling like on other boards.

Posted by bababooey on 04/02/13 at 04:30 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I keep saying this and few agree.  maybe I just wasn’t wording it as well as you did here.  or the people who disagree think standing pat and letting our young guys get one or two seasons older will get us closer on its own.  I’m not so sure about that.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/02/13 at 04:31 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I think everybody would be less pissy at the moment if the steady trajectory the Wings are on wasn’t a flatline.  Its tough to watch season after season go by with the same rhetoric being spewed and nothing to show for it, except a steady exodus of talent.

Posted by Hootinani on 04/02/13 at 04:32 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 04/02/13 at 04:29 PM ET

It’s hard to get mad at someone regardless of what they wrote when you read their post out loud after inhaling some helium.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/02/13 at 04:32 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

i think everybody would be less pissy at the moment if the steady trajectory the Wings are on wasn’t a flatline

A steady flatline in the middle of the playoff pack…it could be a LOT worse.

just look at the Avs.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/02/13 at 04:33 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Yes. This exaclty. Try reading them in the Dora-speaking-to-whales voice from Finding Nemo. You will find the comments section a much more civilized dialog.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 04/02/13 at 04:33 PM ET

OnlyWings's avatar

That is very true!!!!  Sometimes I see a totally delirious Twitter comment (In My Mind) and I want Twitter to allow me to delete it, LOL.

I still think by far the Majority of Wings Fans are lifetime Fans and passionate.  A very different year for the Wings is at times tough to accept.

Posted by OnlyWings on 04/02/13 at 04:35 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

George,

You could go back and look at last year’s trade deadline and your request for sanity and see just how the comments are going to look this time around.

Sports talk radio and internet postings are *not* the place to birddog the mind of the “average” fan.  You’re going to find the ramblings of the true FANATICS here.  Passion is why folks log into the internet and seek out all things Red Wings.  (Other than pr0n, of course.)

Folks with tempered opinions are generally not seeking out places to post on the internet: “LOVE THAT STATUS QUO, BITCHES.”  Generally those folks don’t make logins for internet posts.

But the not so dirty little whore style secret is that the guys pulling the strings are the guys most motivated in this world to Get It Right™.  They’re the ones pulling down seven-figure salaries each year because they’re not screwing things up due to some I-Am-Not-Being-Entertained-Today mindset.  They’re in it for the long haul.

That said, there are many pearls here in the comments with which I agree.  I’d love to see #18 and #51 shipped out in the next 24 hours, even if it wasn’t to pull in some big-name power-forward capable of putting the biscuit in the basket for all of May and June.  If we got the equivalent of 1x 2nd and 1x 3rd round pick, I’d be fine with that result.  These are not the players with whom we are going to rely upon for post-season success.  (Dear God, please let #93 find his post-season snarl.)

Anyway, we’re all in it together.  I *am* being entertained today because of the comments made by folks on the internet (thanks, all).  But I’m not throwing Tick Tock under the bus because he didn’t bring in Iggy.  Not this year; not for this team.

Posted by The Meal on 04/02/13 at 04:35 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Funny, I’ve been on twitter most of the day and follow some 150 Wings fans and haven’t seen any screaming or disrepect all day long.  Maybe some people need to stop looking for stuff that isn’t there.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 04/02/13 at 04:35 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

A steady flatline in the middle of the playoff pack…it could be a LOT worse.
just look at the Avs.
Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/02/13 at 04:33 PM ET

did you watch last nights game?

By the grace of Jimmy, my friend

Posted by Hootinani on 04/02/13 at 04:37 PM ET

I think a lot of people have come to perceive deadline day as only being about rentals, and yes, it is most good teams picking up expiring contracts from mostly bad teams, but it doesn’t preclude a crafty GM from saying “Yeah, you’ve got that guy on an expiring contract, but what about that other guy there?  I’d give you a better return for him.”  And if teams like Buffalo and Calgary are having fire sales right now, if you wait until the off-season then there will be fewer players available and the price will go up to acquire them because that’s when everyone is looking at them.

Posted by Garth on 04/02/13 at 04:39 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by
          IwoCPO

from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/02/13 at 04:03 PM ET

Preach it Big Daddy.

If anything, all the people who can’t handle OTHER PEOPLE TALKING about Holland in a disapproving way, I think are a little too.. attatched.

I haven’t seen one post saying, “F all the people who defend Holland, he needs to do more, don’t know what, but more, why can’t all the people agree that Holland sucks????”

I see well thought out rationals about why they don’t agree with something or what they’re preferred identiy would be.

What I see on the other side is “You don’t get it, why don’t people understand, Holland has a plan, there was nothing he could do, you’re not a real fan, hate and vitriol, yadda yadda” and rarely do I see, “I don’t see it that way, I think by doing this we can accomplish that, which I notice to be a deficiency”.. rarely do I see that.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/02/13 at 04:40 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

btw, love that I’m not, bat-shit insane for having an opinion on the moves my team makes.  nice.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/02/13 at 04:42 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

A steady flatline in the middle of the playoff pack…it could be a LOT worse.
just look at the Avs.
Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/02/13 at 04:33 PM ET

did you watch last nights game?

By the grace of Jimmy, my friend

did you see the three road games in a row the Wings won against teams better than Colorado?

see, one game does not a proper sample make.  just look at the standings.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/02/13 at 04:42 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

love that I’m “bat-shit insane” *

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/02/13 at 04:42 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

did you watch last nights game?

By the grace of Jimmy, my friend

Posted by Hootinani on 04/02/13 at 04:37 PM ET

Not sure I agree with that. The Wings were very much the superior team in that. I’m scared about their inability to push the skate down and kill off a team as bad as the Avs, but I’m not willing to call that one a moral loss or anything.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/02/13 at 04:42 PM ET

I think the biggest issue, at least for me, is lack of direction.  Either be a buyer or be a seller, (or heaven forbid both) but there is NO reason to not do anything.  For example there is no future here for guys like White and Filpula, no future here for guys like Cleary, why can’t the Wings get something for them.  I can guarantee that the Wings success or lack there of if they do make it into the playoffs will not be because they did not have Ian White, Filpula or Cleary. San Jose has cut dead weight and has not affected their run at the playoffs.  But the deadline will pass and no move will be made and fans will believe Holland when he says for the umpteenth time, we’re going to explore our options at the draft.

Posted by bababooey on 04/02/13 at 04:45 PM ET