The Malik Report

This may be your ‘evening line’

The boss is under the weather and I'm feeling poorly enough that I'm going to take a "post-game nap," which I never do (would've done it had the Wings won). KK may be a little quiet tonight due to the so Paul and I will update the site with content as we are able.

So I'll leave you with this "evening line," suggest that you vent away in the Red Wings-Blackhawks quick take, and and will hopefully see you sooner than later.

Henrik Zetterberg told the reporters assembled in the Wings' locker room that momentum does not transfer from game to game, but all the Wings have been doing is giving the Hawks credit for playing harder and better:

For the record, the Grand Rapids Griffins also lost tonight, dropping a 4-2 decision to the Oklahoma City Barons, tying their AHL Western Conference Final at 1 game apiece...

But there was some good news in the prospect department:

FYI:

And, via RedWingsFeed, here's Babs' presser from the Detroit News:

I'm sorry about this, gang. I don't want to get sick again the way I got sick. I hate to play up drama or whine and sound Toews-y but...*#$%@&, the last thing I want to do is this, and I've been playing through not feeling well the whole damn time (it's your job, you suck it up), but the lack of sleep over the past five days (due to outside-of-blogging circumstances) is catching up to the point that there's a distinct pain level to worry about.

Shit this sucks. Sorry.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Bugsy's avatar

Sleep, sleep, sleep George. We’re not going anywhere.

Posted by Bugsy on 05/26/13 at 12:00 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Go to sleep George.  Go to sleep.

There is nothing to report or analyze honestly.  It was a game.  Monday there will be a Game 6 and what happened in Game 5 will have no bearing on anything with it.  It’s just the way this postseason is going.

It’s cute that Toews thinks this was “their game” they played.  I hope they play “their game” again next game, because I don’t think it’ll end the same way.

Posted by Primis on 05/26/13 at 12:00 AM ET

I must e od school but it would be nice if the Wings had a bit more size and abrasiveness on their 4th line.  It would be nice to see wannabe tough guys lie Bickell and Shaw having to pay a price.  I ate to see the Wings get pushed around and not answer back.

Posted by bababooey on 05/26/13 at 12:33 AM ET

Bugsy's avatar

The Wings over the years have had enough players to dish it back, with enough skill to stay on the team, and otherwise had skill players and otherwise made the opposition pay on the power play. (Even going back to the 1st Cup over the Flyers, when the big, bad Flyers were supposed to run over the Wings, the McCarty goal is the highlight—big but with enough skill).

Ken Holland has already said that he’s looking for another big body getting ready for Eastern Conference play. It’s not like they don’t have physical players like Abdelkader, Kronwall, Abdelkader and Tootoo, but Chicago is more skill than physical, so this is the lineup, I suppose. I wonder if Tootoo would come in against the more physical LA/San Jose (assuming they get that far) or Pittsburgh/Boston winner (assuming they get that far).

Regardless, this team has held its own against Boston and Pittsburgh before despite the physical nature of the teams. The Wings haven’t been a goon team, but they need “enough” physical big players to keep the opposition from crossing the line, so I understand the concern.

I only hope that if other teams step up the dirty play, that the Wings make them pay on the power play (realizing Chicago in the regular season and playoffs had a great penalty kill).

Posted by Bugsy on 05/26/13 at 12:51 AM ET

Who said anything about goons? How about a power forward or two? Clowe, Clarkson types.  Anytime the subject of grit comes up you get the old strawman argument about goons.

Posted by bababooey on 05/26/13 at 01:05 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Why is Tootoo sitting?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/26/13 at 01:15 AM ET

Bugsy's avatar

If you read my post though, I didn’t say that I wouldn’t like some more toughness too, but not at the expense of skill. Sorry for using the word goon, but when I watch the East, I think about that when I see some of their games, including these playoffs (it is true that it’s hard to find any “goons” now that the NHL has changed. You pretty much have to show some skill if you’re going to be a physical player who fights nowadays, even in the East). I would love to have a Clowe or Shanahan type myself, so don’t get me wrong about that. I think for the playoffs they can stand up to the other teams well enough for now, then get another physical player or 2 during the summer. As noted in an earlier entry, the Wings could still use a top defenseman, a top offensive threat, and a physical player (forward presumed), and realistically can get 2 of the 3 but hopefully can get all 3. If I find that earlier Holland quote.

Posted by Bugsy on 05/26/13 at 02:11 AM ET