The Malik Report

This couldn’t possibly be a head shot, could it?

The player who keyed the Chicago Blackhawks' 2-1 goal over the Detroit Red Wings just happened to do this to Teemu Pulkkinen just a little under 3 minutes before assisting on Ben Smith's goal.

A little high, Mr. Duncan Keith?

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

mrfluffy's avatar

And not a mention of it…nor will Shanahan even blink an eye.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/16/14 at 08:44 PM ET

Nice to see the repeat offenders learn their lesson…oh wait, I guess Keith hasn’t.  Well since he’s a repeat offender they’ll throw the book at him this time…....oh, never mind.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 03/16/14 at 09:23 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

yeah remember he plays for CHITcago

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 03/16/14 at 10:22 PM ET

This play requires a review by the league and the Wings ought to scream bloody murder if they don’t. The league is allowing our guys to fall like flies this year and I wish the organization, from the top, would start making some noise about it.

We are “Mr. Nice Guy” around the league when it comes to fighting and I see no alternative but to find a couple of tough guys to police the cretins on some of these other teams, like Ottawa and Columbus, in recent games. We can’t retaliate by scoring on the PP…in fact we’d be better off declining it most of the time…so, unless the team takes action against some of these hits, we will continue to have the most injuries in the league.

Keith was guilty of a head shot there tonight and should have been called…will the bush league review it, I wonder.

Posted by NewfieWing on 03/16/14 at 10:31 PM ET

@TheJimP19's avatar

You may not agree with this, but I think Shanny is just a figurehead in all of that disciplinary stuff, with Uncle Gary being the one having to give the final OK for the judgements…

Posted by @TheJimP19 from transplanted in Nashville on 03/17/14 at 05:10 AM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

It looked fairly benign to me…

We need to stop complaining every time something is close to a penalty and not called.  Don’t cry wolf unless there’s a wolf.

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 03/17/14 at 08:44 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

This Wings team is in no place in the standings to run around TRYING to get “retribution” each time there is a borderline hit.  Best case scenario, both guys get called, but it seems more likely that we’ll get the penalty for going after someone after the hit - especially if the hit wasn’t called for a penalty.

We just don’t need to be spending more time on a PK.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/17/14 at 09:08 AM ET

Exactly.  Not every missed call should result in a suspension.

Posted by Garth on 03/17/14 at 10:33 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Exactly.  Not every missed call should result in a suspension.

AMEN!!  Quit crying, hockey is a tough sport, mommy can’t help you on and off the ice, handle your own business

Posted by MurrayChadwick on 03/17/14 at 10:37 AM ET

SK77's avatar

It’s almost funny how quickly KK has gone from the most shiet-talking spot on the web to the most crybaby place known to man. This and that “conversation between a Chicago and Red Wings fan” are fuchin’ embarrassing.

Posted by SK77 on 03/17/14 at 10:50 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Wings fans are always frail flowers down the stretch. This year there’s a reason to be.  It’s the time of the season for crying. It’s nothing new.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 03/17/14 at 11:12 AM ET

Hockey is a tough sport but bear in mind that these elbow pads can, and do, cause concussions. If our players get hit, I expect my team to respond either right away or at an opportune moment. We don’t see that with the Wings and that, in my opinion, is part of the reason why they are getting these concussions and other injuries.

As for worrying about getting an extra penalty, right now I would rather see an emotional response than a bland show of indifference. It is obvious that the league is not going to review those kinds of hits so the Wings have to take on their own policing role. Otherwise, we will see a continuing cycle of injuries, many of which are the result of dirty hits.

I like hard hitting hockey but not hits from behind at full speed, not elbows to the head, not charging hard at a guy who has already released the puck. That’s not a hit designed to separate a player from the puck….that’s a hit designed to injure someone. There is no place for that sort of hit in the game.

Team are now targeting our players, knowing full well there will be no response. If this keeps up, who will want to play for the Wings?

Posted by NewfieWing on 03/17/14 at 12:42 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

That angle doesn’t show me enough to call it a dirty hit.  Seems like more of a learning moment for Pulkkinen, along the lines of: “That’s a bad place on the ice to have your head down.”

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/17/14 at 01:35 PM ET

I don’t have an issue with the hit per se, as Pulkkenin needs to learn fro much experiences. However, the elbow was clearly up on another replay I saw and the ref was standing there looking right at it.

It should have been called as it was clearly a head shot, whether intended or not. Stick infractions are not based on intent so the same rules should apply here.

My main beef with this sort of thing is that the Wings are too passive in going to the aid of their own players on dirty hits.

Posted by NewfieWing on 03/17/14 at 02:04 PM ET