The Malik Report

The Health Of The Wings Is Slowly Improving

Paul here for George.

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

The Detroit Red Wings will use the same lineup tonight against the Columbus Blue Jackets at Joe Louis Arena than they did Saturday vs. Carolina.

But several of their injured players are close to returning.

Defenseman Jonathan Ericsson (fractured left wrist) said he hopes to play Wednesday at Columbus. Forward Johan Franzen (back spasms) said there’s a chance he could play Wednesday, if not than he should be back Friday at home against Nashville. And goaltender Jimmy Howard has targeted Friday for his return from a strained groin.

“That’s the ideal plan, Friday,’’ Howard said. “Get several really good practices under my belt and continue to work in the weight room, strengthening it and see how it holds.’‘

He has faced shots the past two practices and said he “felt like I can do everything. Now continue to keep practicing for a couple of days and we’ll see.’‘

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

anyone else wish Babs would handle the bottom 6 better?  I feel like Mursak showed so much potential when he first came up and it looks like he’s lost a lot of motivation, like a beat dog.  He was the closest on the team in speed to Helm and for whatever reason he’s barely gotten a whiff of life off the 4th line while beat up Cleary gets put on top 6 duty whenever a spot opens up?  Not saying they’re an even swap but I think the “opportunity” mantra is wearing thin.  It’s what you get paid and are you a Babcock guy.

Emmerton as well.  He was supposed to be a coveted talent by other teams.  That was actually an excuse summer before last, we did everything we could so we didn’t have to expose him to waivers.  So we keep him around then play him 6 minutes a night?  Is that rolling 4 lines?>  I think having more than 1 veteran in the bottom 6 would be exponentially more beneficial to the team.  Especially with an older team you need to manage minutes better than I think he has been.  Like riding Stuart and Kronners almst 27:00mins while Lids was out.  Seriously?  All that shit about depth was just bullshit?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/26/12 at 03:38 PM ET

the thought of 52 coming back into the line up scares me. He is a lost cause.

Posted by o12blackgt from Troy on 03/26/12 at 03:49 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I hope that when Howard gets in a game, he just doesn’t think about anything except stopping the puck.  Some positive visualization is called for here - for the whole team, in fact.

HockeytownO - good point about Mursak and Emmerton.  Young, healthy, speedy, hungry guys and it seems like they’re not being utilized fully, Babcock seeming to prefer experience.  But there is Gus Nyquist playing with Pav, so maybe the coaches don’t see quite as much in Mursak and Emmerton as we do.

In any event, I still have a one-game-at-a-time approach right now and I hope the Wings do too.  Just win tonight!

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/26/12 at 04:11 PM ET

Heaton's avatar

This team really missed Ericsson.  Looking forward to his return.

Posted by Heaton on 03/26/12 at 06:51 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by
              Heaton

on
              03/26/12 at 04:51 PM ET

It’s not april fools today is it?  Thought it was still March?

In all seriousness though, sadly, I’m looking forward to his return as well.  I find him more palatable than Quincey has been since coming over.  Still waiting to see what Quincey is bringing to the table.  Last game was his best by far, but I’m really wanting to see him up the level in his own zone.  Often misses coverage and loses battles.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/26/12 at 07:58 PM ET