The Malik Report

The Detroit Red Wings Make History With Their 21st Consecutive Home Win

Paul here once again instead of George, who hopes to be back within a day or two.

Highlights will be posted shortly but let’s start with some of the key plays in the 20 home wins leading up to tonight’s 3-1 win over Dallas.

Hudler scores with just under 5 minutes left in the 3rd period to put the Wings up 3-0.

The Joe Louis crowd counts down the final seconds of the Wings 21st consecutive home win.

Mike Babcock talks with NHL Tonight after the game.

Game highlights and that’s it from me.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

TheRealYooper's avatar

Three very nice clips Paul

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 02/15/12 at 01:29 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

That crowd was insane.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/15/12 at 01:33 AM ET

While this is nice and all, it’s still one more step to the Cup.  Definitely got the real estate we needed over the rest of the Central.  Friday night with the Preds will be huge.  Both teams will be coming off three days of rest.

Keep rolling, Wings!

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 02/15/12 at 01:35 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

I love it.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/15/12 at 01:46 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

It was one of the tighter 3-1 games I’ve ever witnessed and that last-minute goal stung, but given that the Stars are playing in their playoffs now, and given that the Wings finally seemed to feel the “weight of history” on their shoulders tonight…I’ll take it, especially with the Blues breathing down the Wings’ necks.

The boys need two days off, they need to ratchet up their level of play to tangle with the Predators and make a real “statement” on Friday and they need to ratchet up their level of play in terms of special teams, a full-game push and the kind of physicality necessary to pass Sunday’s litmus test against the Sharks, and proving that they could overcome one-goal deficits against Anaheim and Philadelphia at home before taking out the Stars are all steps in the right direction.

For tonight, however, there’s no need to worry about the Burish blemish or the bipolar power play—it’s all about the fact that in Detroit, in the middle of February, both passionate Wings fans and the most casual, “Wake me when it’s April” types seemed to understand the gravity of what the Wings could accomplish, and they enjoyed watching the Wings win a game against a team that was hoping to deliver an, “If you see us in April, we’re gonna make it hurt” message as much as the Wings enjoyed winning it.

In the interim, we’ll find out whether Jimmy is ready or whether Joey Mac gets a few more starts (no, I have no idea what will happen when Jimmy’s healthy…), or whether Cleary’s good enough to go. Something tells me that given the enormous gap in trades across the NHL, we may be hoping that Kenny does something but I don’t know if even Brian Burke is willing to put up with the Pinto for a Porsche asking prices that are clearly in play. This might be “our” team, for better or worse, though I think that Sunday’s game will help determine what happens in that department.

The whole salute the crowd at center ice thing? It’s totally not cheesy if “your” team does it.

And sometime in 2085, after we’re all long gone, Tomas Holmstrom won’t be playing in alumni games on legs—they’ll bolt his torso to a Ski-Doo snowmobile tread Segway device and he’ll park his hockey pants in in front of Jimmy IV.

(also: Hi. I’m going on a second round of antibiotics—something that will cure anthrax but will leave me prone to ligament tweaks and ACL tears for the next six months [as if bloggers know what sunlight is…]—as the sinus infection that never ends came back with a vengeance. I’ve got a legal matter on Friday which might determine whether I can afford one of those ten-year sinus surgery tune-ups and that’s stressing the f-bombs out of me, but I would feel much saner and happier if I was blogging, so believe me, when I can say more than, “This was the first game I watched since last Wednesday! Hack hack huargh!” I will be back to work at least part time)

It’s the middle of February, and Valentine’s Day, no less, and we’ve got something to smile about. Take it and run with it.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/15/12 at 02:05 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Really, George? Because I have a really good idea that Mr. Conklin will be put on the first bus to GR (clearing waivers without a sideways glance from any other team in the league). And then Joey Mac will take a much-deserved seat on the end of the bench for the rest of this year and all of next year, rising up only every seventh or eighth game during the regular season to give Jimmy a breather.

If the Wings did anything else but that, I think the players woud revolt. I know the fans sure as hell would.

Conklin has played his last game for the Wings – and maybe his last game for any NHL team. And thank the gods, and Jimmy’s broken finger, for that.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/15/12 at 02:37 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios on 02/14/12 at 11:37 PM ET

All Star goaltender breaks finger.  Panic ensues.  Joey Mac steps into the breach.  Order restored.  And now we have James F Howard, rested and ready for the stretch run.  Blessing in disguise?  Silver lining?

Seriously, all things considered, while you never wanna see your MVP injured, could this thing possibly have played out any better?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 02/15/12 at 02:57 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

I wouldn’t be surprised to keep Conks on the roster until after the deadline, just my thoughts?  Glad to see Z playing better but PP will bite Wings in the butt if it doesn’t get some consistency.  Blues have some Road games to catch up on hopefully like the Hawks are, LOL!  Sinus ops are cruel but Sinus infections/Migraines , etc are brutal.  Either way hang in there George!  Good stuff!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 02/15/12 at 03:00 AM ET

They might keep him on the roster until Eaves gets healthy, but I sure as hell don’t want to see him wearing a Red Wings jersey again…even in a back up role.  There’s no way Jimmy’s wife has another kid between now and the end of the regular season, is there?

Posted by Garth on 02/15/12 at 03:05 AM ET

I wish you a speedy recovery, George. Sinus infections/surgeries/problems are a bitch (not in the jovial A2Y 19 sense). My buddy took the mega-antibiotics and tore both Achilles tendons, so please do be careful. No running or skating for you for a while.

Posted by Seaner from San Jose on 02/15/12 at 04:34 AM ET

It’s tainted by the shootouts.  They would have been ties 10 years ago.  So there is no comparable feat from the past.  The rules are different now.

Posted by 13 user names on 02/15/12 at 04:39 AM ET

Alzy's avatar

13, I really don’t mean to attack you on this, but I really have to ask, have you considered the fact that it was not a guarantee the Wings would win the games they’ve won in the shootout? In reality, the Wings had a 50/50 chance to win, it was not guaranteed. And it also isn’t a guarantee that the 29/30 Bruins or 75/76 Flyers would have won if they got to play in a shootout either. Who knows, it can just as rightly be argued that had the Bruins played a shootout (not the case for the Flyers as OT wasn’t in existence), they could have lost the streak earlier than 20.

I personally would make the argument against the 75/76 Flyers, that because the Wings have had to play quite a few OT periods and shootouts, the Wings have been in more jeopardy of losing this streak, purely because the Flyers knew they had 60 minutes to win or not. Now yes, it also goes both ways, the Wings have had 5 extra minutes and shootouts sometimes to win, but they’ve also had that extra time to lose.

Bottom line, I don’t think the shootout being involved should taint the record at all. I think it’s a lousy way to settle a team game, but that doesn’t mean any team has an unfair advantage. You play under the conditions that are present during your season.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 02/15/12 at 05:32 AM ET

Then it seems that every record is somewhat tainted by changes in the league, so let’s asterisk every record across time to accommodate all of the league and rule changes. Two-line pass, crease rule, obstruction & interference rules & their enforcement, number of teams & divisions & conferences, salary cap, etc., etc. should be taken into consideration when discussing any records. Therefore, there is no comparison across eras possible at all.

Hence . . .

Gretzky’s numbers are not as good as Gordie Howe’s cuz the rules were different. Mario Lemieux’s numbers aren’t as impressive as Maurice Richard’s cuz the rules were different. Scotty Bowman’s numbers are not as impressive as Toe Blake’s cuz the rules were different. Modern Stanley Cup victories are not as impressive as those in previous eras cuz the rules are different . . . ad nauseum.

Hence . . .

Each statistic and record can only be compared within eras (as defined by league and rule changes).

Hence . . .

The record(s) the Wings (or any other team or player) set this season only go back to the last rule change, which I believe was the 2011-2012 season. Any other comparison is not legitimate.

Have fun with that.

Posted by Seaner from San Jose on 02/15/12 at 08:04 AM ET

edillac's avatar

really happy for JoeyMac,
he is getting IT done

Posted by edillac from isolation on 02/15/12 at 09:12 AM ET

And Boston’s 29-30 record is “tainted” by the fact that the slapshot wouldn’t exist for another 20 years.  Philadelphia’s 75-76 record is “tainted” by the fact that a bunch of future hall of famers had left the NHL for the WHA.
Both previous records are “tainted” by the fact that some of the best players in the world were in Russia and Europe and not in the NHL.

The longest home winning streak post lockout was 14.  If shootouts somehow make it easier, why hasn’t this record been broken since the lockout?  Why hasn’t anyone come close?

16 Teams have had 21 opportunities to beat the Wings at the Joe and they could not.  4 of them even had extra time, and 3 had an additional skills competition, and yet they still couldn’t win.

Posted by jwad on 02/15/12 at 10:52 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

George, so sorry about your struggles health-wise.  Be careful while on those super-antibiotics.  Scary stuff.  We miss you and we’ll be here when you return.

I couldn’t be more proud of the Red Wings achieving this record of consecutive home wins.  I know we lament the .500 record on the road, but think about this:

Home ice advantage in playoffs + home wins + .550 in playoff road games = Stanley Cup!

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/15/12 at 10:57 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Congrats to the Red Wings on this amazing streak.

Speaking of asterisking all records - what if OT in the current NHL were 10 mins and not sudden death? That’s what Boston had in 29-30.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/15/12 at 12:11 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

I think the Wings are planning to win the cup one more time for their captain & Homer.
Babcock needs to start resting people.

Posted by w2j2 on 02/15/12 at 12:25 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I’m digging it Jwad

Seaner, I agree with your satire

W’s a W

L.G.R.W.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/15/12 at 12:38 PM ET

Heh.  While I’m still rather high on the achievement, I’m already looking forward to the Preds who are coming off a high-energy, bona fide, 60-minute full-tilt boogie against the Cawks.  I got a chance to see the remaining eleven minutes of their match and they are an inspired bunch.  They forechecked the shit outta the Cawks worned down defensemen into ridiculous errors and when the Cawks scored to make it 2-2, the Preds were the faster, hungrier, and angrier team.  The Cawks had no chance to recover.  And that’s what we will be facing Friday night.

The Preds need to be put back in their place.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 02/15/12 at 03:49 PM ET