The Malik Report

The Cherry snub of Nicklas Lidstrom continues

You’ll have to excuse this very partisan Red Wings fan for espousing “sour grapes,” but Hockey Night in Canada’s Don Chery mused upon what has become quite the lop-sided series, broke in a black version of his, “Technicolor flowers you’d see on an acid trip” suit pattern, and spent much of Coach’s Corner comparing Drew Doughty to Bobby Orr…

But over the course of three Stanley Cup Final games, Cherry has issues nary a peep about the player he complained about so regularly during Wings playoff runs for “never hitting!” in one Nicklas Lidstrom. Something tells me that we won’t hear Cherry mention Lidstrom’s retirement or legacy on Wednesday, either.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

cowboycoffee's avatar

He sounds like he’s getting a bad cold. good.

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 06/05/12 at 12:25 AM ET

He’s a xenophobic old relic who’s at least 20 years behind the times.  Who cares what he says?

If people ignored the old fart maybe he’d go away, and bring his creepy, sychophantic sidekick with him.

Posted by Ghost of Lebda on 06/05/12 at 07:30 AM ET

Why would this douchebag change this opinion now?

When he heard about Lidstrom announcing his retirement, stupid Don Cherry probably spit on the floor and said “good riddance”.

Posted by Garth on 06/05/12 at 08:12 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

[douchbag Pens fan]

Enough with the Lidstrom posts George.  It’s getting old.

[/douchbag Pens fan]

Cherry can eat a bag.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 06/05/12 at 08:47 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

This bears repeating: Canada, do the right thing, get rid of this idiot. How this old blowhard is still on tv is beyond me. He’s an embarrassment to Canada. He’s an embarrassment to hockey. He’s an embarrassment to the HUMAN RACE!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 06/05/12 at 09:35 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

If I cared what Don Cherry thinks, I’d be upset at him.  But I don’t.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/05/12 at 10:15 AM ET

Don Cherry blocked to many shots with his head.  In terms of talent he is a “never was”.  Anyone who wears the kitchen curtains for a sport coat is obviously stuck in a time warp.  I’m from Canada and can’t stand his stupidity.

Posted by wings fan from Canada on 06/05/12 at 11:33 AM ET

This bears repeating: Canada, do the right thing, get rid of this idiot.

Is there anything else that should be removed from the airwaves simply because Vladimir16 doesn’t like it?  I guess it would be too difficult for you to, I don’t know, just not watch it?

He’s an embarrassment to Canada.

No he isn’t.  He’s just an idiot.

He’s no more of an embarrassment to Canada than you are to wherever you’re from, advocating censorship just because you don’t like what some loudmouth *#$%@& has to say.

He’s an embarrassment to the HUMAN RACE!

Get a f*cking grip.  You don’t like it?  Turn it off or don’t the play button.

Posted by Garth on 06/05/12 at 12:25 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

He’s no more of an embarrassment to Canada than you are to wherever you’re from

In fairness, Kansas is pretty damn embarrassed by me.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/05/12 at 12:32 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by Garth on 06/05/12 at 11:25 AM ET

Touched a nerve, did I?

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 06/05/12 at 12:38 PM ET

You might as well be yelling at the clouds, George, for all the good that raging about something stupid Don Cherry said will do you.

Posted by dzuunmod on 06/05/12 at 12:47 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

He’s a xenophobic fool. If it was an American acting this way the entire HNIC crew would be going ballistic.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/05/12 at 01:15 PM ET

Posted by Vladimir16 on 06/05/12 at 11:38 AM ET

Yeah, because f*ck you for judging an entire country because of one blowhard idiot.

Funny that people call him xenophobic yet he’s no worse than a lot of people complaining about him.

Especially when, again, the only thing you have to do is not watch.

But yeah, you should continue taking the “high road” by calling for his censoring.

Posted by Garth on 06/05/12 at 02:07 PM ET

Sure they would, because the entire HNIC crew is always taking time out of their broadcasts to complain about what Mike Milbury says, right?

Posted by Garth on 06/05/12 at 02:11 PM ET

I don’t really understand this.

Cherry talks about all sorts of things, relevant and not relevant, tangential and important all the time. Some guys retire, he mentions them (Gilmour, Roberts). Some guys retire and he doesn’t (Leclair, Coffee). He’s not under any obligation to genuflect to Nick Lidstrom or anybody else in his <16 min per week. It’s the old man ranting about whatever popped into his mind show, not the somebody retired, watch somebody kiss his ass show.

If Cherry talking about something else is such a big deal as to constitute a snub, perhaps Lidstrom could have picked a better time to have a big press conference announcing he’s retiring from the sport. Something like, I don’t know, a week from now instead of in the middle of the cup finals.

Posted by larry from pitt on 06/05/12 at 02:31 PM ET

Norskirama's avatar

What I don’t understand is how announcing his retirement on the first of two off days after the first game of the SCF somehow takes away from the finals?  Obviously he and the Wings wanted to get all the pomp and circumstance done in time for his club to be able to make arrangements for next season with out him.  Would it have been better to let the brass know but wait two weeks for the official announcement and everyday there be lots of speculation?  I don’t think so.

And as far as Cherry…Isn’t that a festival in Traverse City?

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 06/05/12 at 02:44 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Especially when, again, the only thing you have to do is not watch.
Posted by Garth on 06/05/12 at 01:07 PM ET

1. I’m not judging an entire country and there’s no need to swear. I loves me some Canada.
2. He’s a lot worse than a lot of the people complaining about him. So you are wrong there.
3. I don’t watch him. And yes, he’s so annoying that when he’s mentioned in print I wanna kick puppies (but I don’t because I love puppies).
4. I’m starting to wonder why he’s even on tv. The Canadian friends I have love hockey and hate him. They say it’s pretty much nation wide except for…. hmm…. how should I put this so you don’t get all riled up and swear at me again?.... except for ESPN frat boys types that love crap like him and Lebron taking his talent to South Beach. Those types.
And I’ll add a #5 in there for funsies. You might need to get your anger in check, son.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 06/05/12 at 03:30 PM ET

Does Don Cherry do coach’s corner on off-days?

Posted by larry from pitt on 06/05/12 at 04:12 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Everybody knew Lidstrom was retiring last Wednesday. No comment. Saturday, he’d retired. No comment. Monday, no comment. I don’t believe he’ll be mentioned on Wednesday, either.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/05/12 at 04:20 PM ET

So what you’re saying is instead of talking about a players playing in hockey’s biggest event, during hockey’s biggest event, on a program that covers hockey’s biggest event, Don Cherry should dedicate his 16 minutes per week to somebody who isn’t involved in hockeys biggest event and never will be again because he decided to announce something unrelated during hockey’s most important two weeks.

Well, Cherry absolutely shouldn’t. He should be talking about the damn game, which he is. I sure don’t remember Cherry blowing off any other finals to talk about Ron Francis taking an office job in Carolina (course, I don’t remember Francis ever announcing anything during cup week, either).

Doughty is relevant to the Stanley Cup Finals. Lidstrom is irrelevant to them. That writers would openly whine about Cherry not interrupting talk about the Stanley Cup finals to talk about a guy flying to sweden to golf underscores exactly how the this announcement was an ill-timed distraction that could have waited two weeks.

Posted by larry on 06/05/12 at 04:51 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Uh, no. It would be nice if he could spend 30 seconds mentioning Lidstrom. That’s all.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/05/12 at 05:19 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I mean, hell, five seconds, “Nick Lidstrom retired, too bad,” would be more than enough. And the reason the presser occurred during one of two off-days between Cup final games was pretty simple: the news leaked almost immediately, and the Wings weren’t going to ask Lidstrom to lie for a week. That’s all.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/05/12 at 05:22 PM ET

Q: does he do this for every hall of fame track player who retires?
A: No

Q: Has he ever done such a thing for a Hall track player who retired during the SCFs?
A: Don’t remember another hall track player who did that, so no

Failing to note an ill-timed distracting announcement that has nothing to do with the finals during hockey’s most important two weeks doesn’t constitute a snub.

Talking about a Doughty, who is playing in these games and not talking about Lidstrom, who is not, is not a snub. It’s what he’s supposed to be doing.

Posted by larry from pitt on 06/05/12 at 05:53 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Grapes was on Jim Rome show today and said Nick “wasn’t even close” to Orr. Yesterday or Friday Jim Rome said Lidstrom was better.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 06/05/12 at 06:00 PM ET