The Malik Report

The Youngsters In Detroit

Dan Rosen of NHL.com takes a look at some of the younger players on the Detroit Red Wings,

Joakim Andersson is one of three players (Drew Miller and Kyle Quincey) who have played in all 46 games for the Red Wings this season. Tomas Tatar is sixth on the team with 19 points. Danny DeKeyser is a top-four defenseman playing 21 minutes per game. Gustav Nyquist has 10 points in 21 games since being recalled from Grand Rapids. Brian Lashoff is playing nearly 15 minutes per game as a third-pair defenseman.

Babcock is particularly high on forwards Riley Sheahan, Luke Glendening and Tomas Jurco.

"Let's be straightforward," Babcock said. "In the cap world sometimes guys on your minor-league team don't get to play on your [NHL] team even when they're ready. Riley Sheahan is right there. Jurco is right there. Glendening is there for sure.

"Sheahan has four points in six games. He's a big man and knows how to play. Jurco can flat-out skate and he knows how to play. Glendenning wears on people, he plays hard and we like him."

more plus other NHL topics...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Remember where Jurco was at through the first half of last season? Struggling to find his way in the AHL. It had been a disappointing start. He’s made a ton of progress since then. He really started to understand during the latter half of last year and then into the playoffs. This year, he’s taken over a top line role and helped the team into first place.

Of all of Detroit’s prospects, the ones I am most excited about are Jurco, Mrazek, Mantha, and Jarnkrok. But Jurco is probably the one I am most excited for. If his career progresses in a “best case scenario,” he might be able to compare to Marian Hossa. Same type of player - great skater, can handle the puck, has some size…

I haven’t seen Jurco shoot enough to know if his shot compares to Hossa - he (Hossa) has a great shot. And Hossa can think the game pretty well - he knows where to be. I hope Jurco can get to that level some day. We’ll see.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 01/15/14 at 10:17 AM ET

Wow great post Vito. I agree 100% with everything you said, especially about our top prospects. I’m really excited for Jurco to join the Wings full time. He is big, has great hands, and has great size. He hasn’t even started scratching the surface. Mantha would be my #2 (6’5’’ 210 +- 5 at age 19 is insane), and then probably Mrazek. Petr played great in Anaheim and we really should have won that game. I am already more confident in Mrazek than I am Howard, probably because we have yet to see the former fumble the puck and let in soft goals from the side boards like the latter.

Go Wings!

Posted by ZandPasha11 on 01/15/14 at 10:20 AM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

I’m not someone who watches the Griffins, so all I’ve been able to do is read the opinions of others… but I gotta say that I’m surprised after seeing Sheahan.

I didn’t hear much about him before I saw him, and much of what I saw was somewhat tepid… but I’ve really liked him. His back-checking especially has been a surprise.

The words I’ve read about Jurco and Jarnkrok has been higher praise than what I’ve read for Sheahan -  so that’s enticing.

It’s hard for someone to compare someone they’ve seen with someone familiar - because those we are all familiar with are usually very successful players.

For instance the Jurco/Hossa comparison can be apt even tho’ Jurco won’t play in the nhl as a teenager the way that Hossa did… and it can be apt even if Jurco doesn’t have quite as good of talents as Hossa does.

You have to compare him to someone you can reasonably expect me to have heard of… but boy does that make my mouth water - because I actually saw Hossa before his nhl-days (I line in Portland now) and boy could that bastard skate… and boy was it nearly impossible for any of the other kids to knock him off of the puck… and what a shot he had!!  — only complaint I had back then were the penalties because of his “occassional” defensive laziness.

Does that describe Jurco to you?

Skates like the wind… puck hound… killer shot…—with the only downside being “minor” effort issues on getting back to his own zone ??

Posted by alwaysaurie on 01/15/14 at 10:38 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

They will play together in Sochi.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/15/14 at 11:14 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

He seems to be a different player when wearing the Winged Wheel.  He is defensively responsible in the A, but doesn’t seem to be able to assert himself offensively like he has at this level.  Which is weird, because its usually the other way around.

Thats not to say he is or ever will be an offensive juggernaught, but he seems to focus more towards scoring and creating chances here than he does in the A.

Posted by Hootinani on 01/15/14 at 11:29 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by

Hootinani

on 01/15/14 at 10:29 AM ET

I’ve noticed that as well. I wonder if it’s more of what Blashill and Babcock want from him than some strange anomaly.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 01/15/14 at 09:17 AM ET

About the Hossa comparison… Simmer down now.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 01/15/14 at 12:29 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Mike Babcock told NHL.com. “Any way you look at it that’s a chunk, and with that lineup we were able to win in Los Angeles (3-1) and lose 1-0 in Anaheim in a game I thought we could have easily won. They’re ready to play.”

I hope someone puts that on a poster and hangs it in Holland’s office so he has to look at it every time he even thinks about resigning Cleary.

I agree. And what’s surprised me the most is how aggressive he is around the net. Reminds me more and more every game of Homer. Now, if someone (cough*Homer*cough) would take this kid on as a “project” and teach him how to be an effective battler and puck-tipper, I think he could very adequately mirror Homer’s former role.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/15/14 at 12:46 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

When your AHL team looks unstoppable and your NHL team is incredibly average, it would seem that some roster moves aren’t happening that need to. DRW’s roster is plugged with Cleary, Sammy, picking up an unnecessary and unproductive Weiss, etc. Next year a lot of deadwood goes away, and there’s still one contract buyout available (Franzen?). This year is not a contention year. Next year could be.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/15/14 at 01:55 PM ET

“We’ve had a ton of injuries but I’m tired of talking about that to be honest with you,” Babcock said. “The reality is no one seems to get better. We seem to have them and they’re key guys, but I’ve always said each year you find players when you get opportunities like this.

“It’s good because they’re ready to take people’s jobs.”

I snorted, chortled, and guffawed.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/15/14 at 02:18 PM ET