The Malik Report

The worst possible context for Tomas Jurco’s recall

Red Wings fans are literally cheering this move, but it comes thanks to Deryk Engelland's shoulder to Justin Abdelkader's chin, which will result in a little chat with the Department of Player Safety and at least a weekend's worth of missed games for Abdelkader.

Per MLive's Brendan Savage:

Forward Tomas Jurco will make his NHL debut for the Detroit Red Wings Sunday vs. Tampa Bay, general manager Ken Holland told MLive Saturday night.

Jurco will be recalled from Grand Rapids of the AHL after Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader was knocked out of Saturday's 4-1 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Abdelkader was hit in the head by Pittsburgh's Deryk Engelland late in the first period and won't return until he's examined for a possible concussion.

Jurco is Grand Rapids' leading scorer with 11 goals and 16 assists in 26 games.

Update: This explains it. Also: Sit, Mikael Samuelsson, sit:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Bummer for Abi. But a well-deserved opportunity for Jurco.

All I want to see from him is “energy.” If he makes a mistake or two, who cares. This is just the first of many chances for the 20 year old.

Have a blast, kid. You deserve it.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/15/13 at 01:26 AM ET

Alan's avatar

It’s a well earned call-up for Jurco, and I can’t wait to see him in action tomorrow. The kids are clearly giving the vets a boost of energy, and even if there are mistakes (and there probably will be a few), we can’t do any worse than we’ve been doing.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/15/13 at 01:49 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

The Wings do need to eventually call up Landon Ferraro as he’s out of waiver options next year.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 12/15/13 at 01:58 AM ET

perfection's avatar

While I agree we need to see what Farraro can do at some point, Jurco has sure been incredible this year. I’ve seen a bunch of Griffs games this year and I really can’t wait to see him against NHL competition. It’s pretty exciting. Though I sure hope Abby’s ok. Man it looked nasty in slo-mo and Dats was out for a good stretch from a knock to the chin that looked relatively tame comparatively. But concussions are a funny thing, so you never know

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 12/15/13 at 02:07 AM ET

Alan's avatar

Agree on Ferraro. He’s someone I’d like to see.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/15/13 at 02:23 AM ET

where are those people who thought it was a ridiculous notion to even contemplate recalling jurco right now? oh I know they probably think nyquist should still be in GR to ripen some more

Posted by jkm2011 on 12/15/13 at 09:36 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Well thank God Ken Holland read your comments so he could come over to your opinion, oh self-important asshat.

The thing that amuses the *#$%@& out of me is that the true, professional trolls like yourself would be bitching and moaning about how everybody else is wrong except you regarding SOMEthing, and you’ve latched on to sports…to really talk about yourselves and how awesome and superior you think your opinions are to everyone else’s.

You’re really doing it for you, and you guys spend a remarkable amount of time, energy and effort getting into arguments and attempting to intellectually out-flank your opponents (see: everyone and everything, even when the team is winning).

Well guess what, sugar butt? According to my league sources, hockey is in fact a game that’s played on the ice, injuries happen unexpectedly, and as those who watch, play, coach and manage the game are not in fact prescient, people get things wrong, and observers are not always brilliant and God-like in their ability to see and predict all.

Fans get it wrong. Bloggers and writers like me get it wrong. Players get it wrong. Coaches and general managers get it wrong—believe me, I know, because you guys tell me all the damn time that Babcock and Holland score goals and stop shots.

Also according to league sources: if a person makes one incorrect observation, they do not in fact spontaneously self-combust and/or bow down and prostrate themselves before the forever-and-ever superiority of those who suggested otherwise and were and are always right regarding everything from now on, or so you knuckle-draggers seem to believe.

I’m gonna say something that’s pretty rich given who I am and what I do: get a clue, get a grip, and honestly, get a f***ing life.

I’ve been thinking about this for a couple of days now, and it came out because I’m frustrated about something else, and oh look, like you, when I’m frustrated about something else, I can take it out on others and get all huffy-puffy and high and mighty like a blowhard *#$%@& too.

Now I’m done, and I feel better, so I’m sure you do, too.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 12/15/13 at 09:52 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Also: I hope that Tomas does not bring his crappy Slovak dance music with him, but I’m sure he and Tatar will have the Eastern European techno going in the locker room before the game. Oh, Jurky…

And let’s accentuate the positive: SAMMY’S SITTING YAY!

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 12/15/13 at 09:59 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Probably out in their cornfields scaring away the birds.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/15/13 at 11:22 AM ET

There’s an amount of irony that pegs all scientific scales.  We have witnessed said pegging.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/15/13 at 12:00 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Oh, I love the “ignore” feature.

I am getting beyond frustrated with the goonery all around the NHL, which seems to be increasing rather than decreasing - think Shawn Thornton on Orpik.  I don’t think even multiple game suspensions send a strong enough message.  Professional athletes should be a little more mature than little boys on a playground, and think about how a deliberate action intended to injure another player hurts the sport, not just the player.

And anyone who says the Wings need an “enforcer” should be required to read the New York Times’ series about Derek Boogaard.

I’ve had a bad taste in my mouth about the NHL ever since the lockout - no, ever since Shea Weber got away with playing “smash the pumpkin” with Zetterberg’s head at the end of the season before.  What happened to Pav (no punishment given at all) and what has happened to Abby (we’ll see what happens) just make that taste even more bitter.  This isn’t sport.  Concussions and brain damage should not be considered “just part of the game.”  And it isn’t fun to watch.

Sorry for the rant.  I don’t know what the answer is, or if there even is an answer.  But it is driving me away from wanting to watch NHL hockey.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 12/15/13 at 02:39 PM ET

next time you b**** about people name calling and being disrespectful and you want to cry to the boss or pretend like you’re going to quit for how they treat each other, remember your post.

Posted by jkm2011 on 12/15/13 at 11:25 PM ET

I’ve had a bad taste in my mouth about the NHL ever since the lockout…

Oh my! I really want to make a comment about hihd and Sammy. Please!?!?!?!?

There’s an amount of irony that pegs all scientific scales.

Yes, ALL scientific scales. Who talks like this in real life?

Sorry for the rant.

No worries. I’m sure some people will agree while some others will…..let’s just say they won’t agree.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 12/16/13 at 02:46 AM ET