The Malik Report

The Wings Were Outplayed Last Night

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

The Detroit Red Wings believe they're a faster, better-skating team this season, one that applies a lot of pressure on the forecheck.

Sunday was a good chance to provide further proof, against a team that played the night before.

Instead, the Colorado Avalanche outskated the Red Wings from the drop of the puck and pretty much all night at Little Caesars Arena....

The Red Wings (10-8-3) still haven't won three games in a row. They're 2-0-2 on a five-game homestand that concludes Wednesday against the Edmonton Oilers....

Leading by two, the Red Wings seemed to be caught in between trying to keep pushing or play more defensive to protect the lead.

"I don't know if we quit playing, I don't know if we thought we had won it at that point," Blashill said. "We got to make sure we're pushing. The easiest way to win is to score the fourth one, without taking any unneeded risk.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Alan's avatar

A full 60 is key. Had we not slacked off after our third goal, we should have won it. Instead, we gave them a PPG, and we fell apart after that.

Sad times, but maybe a learning experience all the same.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 11/20/17 at 08:34 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Sitting on leads rarely works.

In more shocking news, the sun rose in the east this morning

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 11/20/17 at 09:31 AM ET

Huh. I thought everything was fixed.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 11/20/17 at 09:31 AM ET

PierreC's avatar

Sometimes AA is floating around, waiting for a lose puck for a breakaway.

His defensive posititionning is getter better, but his intensity and poise when it’s time to play without the puck is still weak. I still see countless sequences when AA is simply wondering around basically doing Nothing.

I guess this is the part of AA’s game that Blashill can’t stand.

But that doesn’t explain Blashill countless coaching mistakes.

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 11/20/17 at 09:36 AM ET

Someone needs to sit AA down and just preach patience. Once he builds up more stock, then he can coast around and look invisible (like say Nyquist), take selfish penalties and basically be a defensive black hole (like say Abby and his -36 in the last two seasons), or go 3 years between PP goals (like Kronwall). So just chill out AA. Be patient. You will get PAID. Then buy some STOCKS. Then sit back and escape all criticism or accountability. It’s a process.

Posted by fatsavage on 11/20/17 at 10:13 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 11/20/17 at 09:36 AM ET

Spot on and I see the exact same thing, now if I’m down by a goal, I play AA until he can’t stand, but up by a goal or so like last night, he’s just not a guy I lean on yet, he’s getting there though.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 11/20/17 at 10:32 AM ET

Primis's avatar

This remains typical of WIngs teams the past 2 or 3 years.  They don’t play a full 60:00.

Really, at this point I would say they’re a playoff team if they could consistently play a full 60:00.  Maybe not a GOOD playoff team, but a playoff one nonetheless.

For all of Blashill’s faults or negatives, perhaps the biggest one is his inability to inspire or motivate them to play a full game (ok ok, save for the whole Too Many Men thing of course).

Posted by Primis on 11/20/17 at 11:13 AM ET

OK. I get it. You are up 1 goal with 5 minutes left. Sure. I’d probably bench AA and use other forwards to try and nurse a lead.

But when you are up by 2 goals with 10 minutes left…why aren’t you going for the jugular and using AA? This makes no sense to me. And if AA causes your 3-1 lead to become 3-2, well OK, now we can shift more conservatively. It’s not just me either. Darryl Sutter adopted a philosophy where the best way to hold onto a lead is to use my skill players who can hold onto the puck, tilt the ice, and maybe add an insurance goal. He wasn’t using a “match line” and playing “prevent defense”. He was sending out skill guys that could gain possession and make a positive play.

And I’m not sure Blashill understands the concept of 7 d-men. Tampa did it, but specifically to dress a PP specialist like Nesterov. And that became the insurance in case one of his top 6 got hurt. What exactly was Ouellet’s role last game? He had 5 shifts for 3:06 last night. No real contribution to special teams. And because of those 5 shifts, we were unable to roll 4 lines all night. So Scott Wilson only played 5 minutes, essentially reducing us to 10 forwards. And then we’re wondering why we ran out of gas in the 3rd period. Sigh.

Posted by fatsavage on 11/20/17 at 11:16 AM ET

This is the previous two seasons style of hockey, trying to form a bubble and all we end up doing is screening our own goalie. Terrible, why they reverted back to this makes no sense. Another problem Detroit has gone back to is that pinballing the puck along the boards trying to clear it. Unbelievable.

Posted by stateofmifan on 11/20/17 at 11:32 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by stateofmifan on 11/20/17 at 11:32 AM ET

You should watch say… any team in the NHL, when the other team has a man advantage the opposition boxes up, its the way of the game nowadays, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, especially when your caught out, you don’t get the 1-2 step burst to get in the lane, or apply a touch of pressure on that bubble up.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 11/20/17 at 11:47 AM ET

First, if Nielsen does not turn the puck over at the end of the game not allowing the whole unit to get a timely change, the whole discussion will be different. It would be more like “we did not play well, but found a way to win the game with the gritty performance”.
Second, I do not think we “relaxed” after 3:1 lead. I think we did not play well for about 80% of the game and were just lucky to have a two goal lead. Of course, when we got that lead, we should have won considering Colorado played the night before.
So, overall it was a step back yesterday, but it’s naive to expect us to play high level hockey consistently.

Posted by VPalmer on 11/20/17 at 11:50 AM ET

I admit I do not watch other teams, but I would love to see the statistics for the last 3 years of how many times the team allows a goal when the opposing team is attacking 6 on 5. We have to be leading the league there it seems.

Posted by VPalmer on 11/20/17 at 11:53 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Its pretty obvious they took that game for granted, and played like it. They came in feeling pretty good about themselves and saw what they thought was a gimme game. Then, when they were up by 2 by some miracle, they got full of themselves again and stopped playing altogether. Even Larkin, who up to that point had been the best player for the team besides Howard, started making mental errors.

It was a trap, and they leaped in head first.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 11/20/17 at 12:03 PM ET

If they thought they had a gimme game they were seriously misguided. First of all, no game for a mediocre Red Wings team is a gimme. Secondly, Colorado got stomped the night before against Nashville. They were bound to come out more determined and better disciplined in this game.

Posted by evileye on 11/20/17 at 03:23 PM ET

If they thought they had a gimme game they were seriously misguided.

How could anyone think that a game against a team with nearly the exact same record could be a gimme game? Never mind that when Colorado was by far the worst team in the league last season they still managed to take one out of two games against Detroit.

Gimme?  Gimme a break. Anyone who thinks any Wings game this season is going to be a gimme needs to have his or her head examined.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 11/20/17 at 03:31 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar
Reallyat this point I would say they’re a playoff team if they could consistently play a full 60:00.  Maybe not a GOOD playoff teambut a playoff one nonetheless

Not showing up in the first period, giving up a goal in the first and/or last minute of a period, and blowing a lead late in the third period has been a regular occurrence for the Red Wings over the last SEVERAL years. This kind of play has been a habit for a long time. You would think some of these blunders can be somewhat corrected. Frustrating. shut eye

Posted by bigfrog on 11/20/17 at 06:56 PM ET

I agree only to a point, those teams actually send players out to disrupt puck movement, not allow opposition players to maneuver freely setting up their best shot, also we’re to far away to challenge rebounds. This same game our PK spent a lot of time in the offensive zone. I realize that there’s less room in 6 on 5s but that completely passive approach doesn’t work.

Posted by stateofmifan on 11/20/17 at 07:43 PM ET

Poor execution by the defenders in the last two minutes, combined with not enough speed, did them in. They allowed the Avs to freewheel while collapsing within the high slot. Some of the guys on the ice don’t have the speed needed to challenge but that’s the fault of the coach for putting them out there.

Whether they deserved to win or not, once they got a 3-1 lead the coach needed a sound strategy to bring it home. He failed in that regard by relying on too many old and slow vets.

Posted by NewfieWing on 11/20/17 at 11:46 PM ET