The Malik Report

The Wings Are Practicing

via Chuck Pleiness tweet,

Well so much for Zetterberg taking part in his first practice with the team. Babcock just closed the door and he's not on the ice.

more coming as needed...

added 11:27am, via Helene St. James tweet,

Henrik Zetterberg (back) ended up skating before #RedWings practice, felt good but opted not to push it with any practice.

added 11:38am, via Ansar Khan tweets,

Lines: Franzen-Datsyuk-Abdelkader, Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist, Jurco-Helm-Alfredsson, Miller-Glendening-Legwand. Andersson, Bertuzzi rotating in.

Defense: Kronwall-Smith, Quincey-DeKeyser, Lashoff-Kindl, Ouellet-Sproul. Howard and Gustavsson in goal.

added 12:27pm, via Pleiness tweet,

Kronwall says Zetterberg had equipment on and skated before. Said it was very good to see. Only a matter of time till he practices.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Heh.  There’s just no separating those two guys at all, isn’t there?

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/15/14 at 10:49 AM ET

Any chance Oullet-Sproul leapfrog Kindl/Lashoff? Legitimately….?

Posted by VitoLambruski on 04/15/14 at 11:15 AM ET

If they get any better, Vito, I expect one or the both of them to bump Q out of the top four.  This is their first year with GR as well and since they’re headed to GR once the playoffs start, I certainly want to see GR repeat as Calder Cup Champs.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/15/14 at 11:21 AM ET

Well, SYF, I assume it’s only a matter of time before the defense looks dramatically different. I suspect the following:

1) Kenny and Mike have no idea what the top six looks like to start next year.

2) It would be a difficult proposition to inject 2-3 rookies into a defense that already has enough of unsteady play. Aside from Kronwall and Ericsson, the defense is somewhat raw and prone to mistakes. As good as Danny D is, he still has a little ways to go before he’s completely reliable. Smith is also growing but still has a long way to go. So do you drop Lashoff and Kindl out of the top six and put two more rookies into the mix? That seems to only make the defense more prone to gaffes. And that doesn’t even account for Almqvist. That said, it sounds like the team doesn’t want to make any moves to impede the top 3 (and maybe Almqvist, making 4) defensemen from getting a shot at a spot in Detroit.

3) Kenny will either sign an older guy (i.e., Dan Boyle) or trade for a strong d-man. I think the forward corps - especially now that so many young guys have earned spots - looks good and we’ve still got Datsyuk toward the end of his prime and Zetterberg and Kronwall in their prime. For the defense to truly be ready for primetime, it will take a couple more years to truly solidify. So do they try to make a run by truly shoring up the D with some good defensemen now (possibly by consolidating some of the prospects) or do they wait this thing out? I think they will try to get the best of both worlds - get a guy now to play in the top-3 and cut bait with a prospect or two in the process.

As to your point about the Calder Cup…Stanley Cup > Calder Cup.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 04/15/14 at 11:38 AM ET

I don’t see Almquist in the top 6 next year. I do see Kenny trading for Erhoff. I can see that with our over load of Forwards. Andy has good trade value. And so does Lashoff cause they are both young and coachable plus compared to others at same age and ability are at the upper echelon.
I see our D looking something like this next year.
Kronwall Ericsson
Dekeyser Erhoff
Smith Marchenko.

Ouellette and Sproul still waiting.
Almquist not retained. And if so. On a 2 way and possible trade bait at deadline.
From what I’ve read and seen, Marchenko is above all three young D in almost every category. Ankle broken not with standing.

Posted by Munnster9 on 04/15/14 at 12:18 PM ET

I still do not understand Franzen and Datsyuk playing on the same line. Those 2 have no chemistry, they never had. Datsyuk needs a sniper on his line, the guy who can take advantage of his passes. Franzen has a good shot, but he is not good at finding open spaces for one timers, it’s not his game. Franzen is effective when he is carrying the puck by himself. He is dangerous when he enters the zone with the puck and shoots (or goes around the defensman and shoots).  Franzen is also most dangerous and engaged when he is the man on his line and not when he can defer to Dats to do all the work. I would go with:
Dats/Alfy/Jurco (or Nyquist)