The Malik Report

The Red Wings are indeed no longer ‘presented by Amway’

Red Wings fans noticed that the Amway patches are slowly working their way off of Detroit's practice jerseys, and when I attended last Saturday's Wings-Bruins game at the Joe, the Amway signage had been replaced by big Kroger banners. As such, the Detroit News's Louis Aguilar asked the team, which is now, "Presented by AT&T" on its website, if their deal with Amway had indeed lapsed:

“It has ended. It led its course,” said John Hahn, senior director of communications for the Red Wings. Amway representatives also confirmed the partnership has ended. Red Wings and Amway officials said they would release official statements Tuesday afternoon.

First announced in November 2010, the multi-platform deal was the first time in Wings history that the team agreed to a “presenting sponsor.” Details were never disclosed, but analysts speculated it was a seven-figure deal and some predicted the new Wings’ home ice, which is planned to be built soon, could be named Amway arena.

Last year, Amway’s logo was placed on the team’s practice jerseys and practice pucks. Its logo was on the ice of Joe Louis Arena, on the scoreboards, on game tickets and on a variety of advertising and marketing ventures. But not this year.

Continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Of all things good and holy, NO.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 09/24/13 at 01:06 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

SYF, I hate corporate arenas as much as anyone, but I really doubt they wont put a name on it, considering the money

It’s sad, but I dont see any other way this can go

Posted by Zqto on 09/24/13 at 01:12 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 09/24/13 at 01:13 PM ET

True, Zqto.  However, it’ll be nice to continue to see the Wings go their own way and name the new arena by fan vote…or something else other than the “corporate way.”

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 09/24/13 at 01:15 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

“The Steve Yzerman Arena”

Too bad the choice is either that, or a few million bucks a year (guessing the number, I have no idea what would cost to get the arena name)

Posted by Zqto on 09/24/13 at 01:20 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I’d be delighted if the Wings named it the Belle Tire.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/24/13 at 01:23 PM ET

I’d be delighted if the Wings named it the Belle Tire.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/24/13 at 02:23 PM ET

[pounds desk laughing]

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 09/24/13 at 01:24 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

There isn’t a better corporation around than Amway? I had no idea that pyramid scheme was still going on until last year. Just brand the whole thing like a giant Little Caesars and be done with it.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 09/24/13 at 01:37 PM ET

Savage Henry's avatar

The Fabulous Belle Tire Olympia Arena Presented by Little Caesar’s

Posted by Savage Henry on 09/24/13 at 02:08 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I’d be delighted if the Wings named it the Belle Tire.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/24/13 at 02:23 PM E

In all honesty, if the arena gets named after a local outfit (besides Amway of course), I’d call it a win.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/24/13 at 02:10 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Founders Forum.

Posted by MoreShoot on 09/24/13 at 02:17 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Founders (Brewing Co.) Forum.

Posted by MoreShoot on 09/24/13 at 03:17 PM ET

Mmmmm….. Founders

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 09/24/13 at 02:33 PM ET

I know, right?  Those dirty pigs, charging money for use of their brand name, production facilities and infrastructure.  Fortunately nobody else stoops so low as to do stuff like that at, say, restaurant chains.

Or gas stations.  Or drug stores.  Or real estate offices.  Or Snap-on tool trucks.

Hey, Amway’s Amway… but come on.  Let’s all show a little situational awareness about what a pyramid scheme actually is, as opposed to a micro-franchisee or however those dozen-plus types of rights businesses self-designate nowadays.

Ah well, now that the Wings are selling ad space to noted saintly company AT&T all this stuff about less than desirable advertisers can just go by the wayside.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 09/24/13 at 02:36 PM ET

Speedy's avatar

corporate sponsor or not Olympia should be included,Yzerman Arena no ty.

Posted by Speedy on 09/24/13 at 02:38 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

The Howe Arena. In honor of both Gordie and Colleen.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 09/24/13 at 02:40 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

Hell, I’d be fine with just calling it Joe Louis Arena. The keep calling Madison Square Garden the same thing no matter how many times it has been built. Just keep the name.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 09/24/13 at 02:51 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Speedy, I’m good with any name not sponsored
“Steve Yzerman” was just a way to demonstrate the idea, I really suck at naming things
Whenever I make a character to play in a video game or shit like that, I usually spend 2 min customizing him, and 20 min choosing a name…  lol

Posted by Zqto on 09/24/13 at 03:05 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Call me crazy, but no matter what they name it, it will not affect any of my purchasing decisions just as commercials or other types of marketing ploys try to.

Posted by calquake on 09/24/13 at 03:05 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/24/13 at 03:10 PM ET

What would everyone think if Illitch gave it a corporate name with no money changing hands, like he did the fountain at Comerica (for a while anyways)?  Just tossing the idea out there…

Posted by Primis on 09/24/13 at 03:08 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Primis on 09/24/13 at 04:08 PM ET

For me it’s less about money changing hands.  I’d just like it if the money stayed local.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/24/13 at 03:12 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

Compuware Arena

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 09/24/13 at 03:14 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

This is the moment Ilitch has been waiting for to make good… it will be named Aurie Arena.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 09/24/13 at 03:25 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 09/24/13 at 03:36 PM ET

Oh my. You do take everything so seriously. If that were any of the lifer posters being flippant about it, you’d be chuckling.

Sorry, but Amway has always had a bit of a cloud around it. And, come on, this is the Wings. You’d think they would be sponsored by a company that had more pizzazz than Amway.

But what do I know? I can’t play in this sandbox. :(

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 09/24/13 at 04:00 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

The Illitch Icebox.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 09/24/13 at 04:08 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Or Snap-on tool trucks.

I recently had to buy a new set of tools for a new employee.  Thinking I might pass mine down and upgrade, I priced Snap-on wrenches. A measely 7 piece set of wrenches, from 3/8” to 3/4” was over $300!

Complete non-sequitur but oh well.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 09/24/13 at 09:06 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Compuware Arena

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 09/24/13 at 04:14 PM ET

That already exists in Plymouth.  Or maybe you knew that and that was the joke I dunno’.

It already amuses me that some of the taxes for the new arena are coming from Compuware IIRC, and that Karamanos is therefore indirectly funding Illitch’s new arena.

It’s like Karamanos can’t stop paying over and over again for trying to get Fedorov.

Posted by Primis on 09/24/13 at 10:17 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Now that he’s essentially exited the company, Karmanos is bashing Compuware left and right. Go figure :/

Maybe Capital Mortgage Funding can sponsor it, so their chairman, Harry Glans, can put his name on the building.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/25/13 at 12:10 AM ET

I don’t take very much on a blog seriously.  I just think the general preconception is very often a poor one, as evidenced by…

Sorry, but Amway has always had a bit of a cloud around it.

.... that.  The only reason Amway has a ‘cloud’ around it is because people always say there’s a cloud around it.  That business isn’t any better or worse than any other franchisee operation. Pampered Chef, Mary Kay, all the other stuff I mentioned, etc.  IMO Amway gets the bad rap it’s gotten not for the business model but for their political leanings, which are distinctly Republican, and their ideological leanings, which are distinctly Christian.

And, honestly, probably the second more than the first, although either generates a ton of hate from others.

Successful, Republican and Christian?  That’s like a Fangoria script for around 40% of the US population, not to mention the people who sneer at success, or Republicans, or Christians individually.

Unfortunately, that walks us into the central tautology of advertising:  If the company was so awesome in the first place they wouldn’t need to spend millions of dollars splashing a building with their name to try and convince you how awesome they were.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 09/25/13 at 05:31 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

I don’t take very much on a blog seriously.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 09/25/13 at 06:31 AM ET

He’ll be here all week.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/25/13 at 08:11 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Way back in 2010, scAmway settled fraud charges to the tune of $150m. But sure, the only criticisms of their business are ancillary to their business. As long as you read this blog and can’t use google, that criticism holds.

But I’m glad to see it is their political and religious views that have HHD defending the DeVos family racket.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 09/25/13 at 10:05 AM ET