The Malik Report

The No-Talking Mule

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Babcock began his presser today by revealing that Jonas Gustavsson will start again in Game 5, because Jimmy Howard is weakened by the flu. After that, it was a Franzen fiesta. Babcock made a point of noting that Franzen is "a real good person, real good man and real good family man, tries to be a real good teammate."

Then came the good stuff.

"Sometimes he doesn't handle, probably, you people as well as he should to help himself — to me, if you just step right up and you just talk, it makes it easy. When you don't, things build, and I think that puts more pressure on yourself. I don't know why you'd do that, as a human being.

"It's no different than companies — you see this every day in business. You have a meeting, no one says anything. You walk out the door, you talk behind each other's back. If you just call each other out and have the hard meeting, then everyone would leave, and we'd get on with progress. Have the hard interview and get on with it. Make it easier on yourself. He's a man, he's got to deal with that himself."

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

“It’s no different than companies — you see this every day in business. You have a meeting, no one says anything. You walk out the door, you talk behind each other’s back. If you just call each other out and have the hard meeting, then everyone would leave, and we’d get on with progress.

I tried this once - having a “hard” meeting in the office.  Didn’t go over well :o

Posted by TreKronor on 04/25/14 at 01:37 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Go figure.  Have a fanbase and press corps that rides a guy really ridiculously- hard for 3 or 4 years straight and eventually he just stop talking.  It’s almost like he’s a human being or something.

Posted by Primis on 04/25/14 at 01:50 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

This can’t be right.  Franzen has great stats and this is a team game.  Guy put up 6 assists the last two weeks of thnseason.  He’s on fire.

But now that Babs has said it…

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/25/14 at 01:50 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

No one made him sign that contract primus.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/25/14 at 01:51 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

And last I heard that wrote a remind outside the locker room for people who want those contracts.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/25/14 at 01:52 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

I was able to snag this quote from Franzen:

“When the media is around after the game, I’ve got a lot of things to do before talking to them. It’s not even fifth on the list, probably, when they’re there after a game with their microphones and questions.”

Speaking of Franzen, wasn’t he diagnosed with some sort of social anxiety disorder or something?

Posted by Ajax19 on 04/25/14 at 02:10 PM ET

Some people don’t like putting their thoughts out in public.

Some people shouldn’t.

Posted by Garth on 04/25/14 at 02:14 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Was talking more about his play on the ice.  He def isn’t as good at expressing himself in an interview as he is scoring goals.  I’d rather h start doing that or at least start using his frame to gain prime real estate instead of being a perimeter player.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/25/14 at 02:17 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 04/25/14 at 02:42 PM ET

Throwing players under the bus known for having anxiety disorders… good on you Babs. Keep preaching about how to be a man and a better human being. What an *#$%@&.

Posted by weswolverine on 04/25/14 at 02:58 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

I thought that was the case about Franzen.  Given his anxiety and all, not too cool on Babcock to call the poor guy out for not talking to the media.  He really should be focusing on Franzen’s inability to score and the near zero impact he’s had on this series.  Stick to what happens on the ice.

Also, I think it’s pretty apparent Babcock hasn’t spent a ton of time in corporate America, or corporate Canada, or corporate anywhere really.

Posted by Ajax19 on 04/25/14 at 03:18 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 04/25/14 at 03:42 PM ET

The only thing I could ever find was an old MLive post Malik published. It mentions his anxiety and shyness, but nowhere does it say he was diagnosed with a social anxiety disorder.

And maybe I’m being too cynical here, but professional athletes are considered public figures and should speak with the media relatively regularly. I can’t imagine the stress pro athletes go through when things aren’t going the way they want them to, but he and other public figures should engage in dialogue withe remaining years of his contract.

Posted by imagolddinosaur on 04/25/14 at 03:26 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Since when did Franzen play for the Leafs, and HSJ write for Toronto news media?

Big whoop.  If he doesn’t want to talk good who cares.

Posted by TreKronor on 04/25/14 at 04:04 PM ET

But he’s never been that guy.  Why would that change now, just because he’s older?

And further to that, why should someone have to be good in front of a camera just because he’s a talented hockey player?  What does one have to do with the other?

Posted by Garth on 04/25/14 at 04:21 PM ET

This is exactly how I feel. I think Marshawn Lynch was fined by the NFL for not speaking to the media. Maybe it’s in the NFL contract, but it’s certainly not in the NHL contract. If a player doesn’t want to talk, then that’s on him. If he loses fans over it, then he has to deal with it but we shouldn’t have to expect someone to owe you anything just because they are a hockey player.

Posted by weswolverine on 04/25/14 at 04:32 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

I could give 2 sh*ts whether he addresses the media or not. What I DO care about is performance on the ice. All that matters.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 04/25/14 at 05:58 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

off topic ...

anyone know where I can get a T-shirt like Tony’s?

I wanna ‘Man Up”, too:

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/25/14 at 07:26 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

“ok ok so i dribble a little”

or

“Like a mouth guard for your pee pee”

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 04/25/14 at 08:35 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Okay… it’s late as *#$%@&, and I’m drunk as *#$%@&, but seriously.

Being a “person” who has an officially diagnosed depression and anxiety disorder, I have to call “Bullshit” on this excuse.

I’ve said it before: If Franzen TRULY had an anxiety or clinical “shyness” issue, he wouldn’t even be playing professional hockey. For *#$%@&’s sake, he wouldn’t have even stepped onto the ice and performed at ANY semblance of “eliteness” if he did.

I’m not saying he doesn’t have some anxiety or whatever, but what I am saying is that this bullshit excuse for him not showing up (scoring, media, or otherwise) is, in fact, just that.

Shit or get off the pot, Johan. I mean, I’m super happy you scored 100,000 goals in 3 games 54 years ago, but you have to be *#$%@& consistent. Make the effort. You get paid more per year than most people see in their entire lives, and you can’t even be arsed to give a *#$%@&?

You know what? *#$%@& you. I’m 6’1, 210lbs, and while I’m not quite up to NHL skating standards (lol), I’d sure as *#$%@& give it my all every single *#$%@& night—for MUCH less money than you make now.

If you can’t hack it, go back to Sweden. I appreciate what you’ve done for the Red Wings over the past few years, but if you’re going to take a top-6 role and do Joakim Schitt with it, I’d rather you just not at all. When you’re on, you’re a *#$%@& beast, hands down; when you’re off (which is like a *#$%@& switch - on or off), you’re just a big dude taking up space.

Come on, Mule. Time to step up.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/26/14 at 01:41 AM ET