The Malik Report

The Morning Skate

via Ansar Khan tweets,

RedWings on ice for morning skate. Howard is in the starter's net, as expected.

lines same as yesterday:
Abdelkader-Zetterberg-Larkin
Helm-Datsyuk-Richards
Nyquist-Sheahan-Tatar
Athanasiou-Glendening-Mantha

Will add to the post as needed.

added 10:41am, Khan...

Same pairs on defense:
DeKeyser-Quincey
Kronwall-Marchenko
Ericsson-Green
Smith it appears will be scratched again.

Power-play units:
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Larkin, Abdelkader (net front), Kronwall
And
Tatar-Datsyuk-Mantha (net front), Richards-Green

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Beat writers confirm Howard is starting.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/01/16 at 10:58 AM ET

Smith it appears will be scratched again

I still think he is the 3/4th best defenseman on our team as of now and he is the most physical.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/01/16 at 11:15 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Tatar-Datsyuk-Mantha (net front), Richards-Green

If they’re going to make Mantha play net front, he needs a shorter stick just for that. With his regular stick, defensemen tie up his stick way too easily and it’s difficult for him to do anything with pucks right at his feet.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/01/16 at 11:16 AM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

Isn’t that what elbows are for?

Posted by duhduhduh on 04/01/16 at 11:30 AM ET

Marchenko does too much standing around looking for his man, at this point Marchenko or Big E should be sitting, not Smith.

Posted by Uncle Rico on 04/01/16 at 12:12 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m no fan of Smith whatsoever but…. yeah even I don’t get how Ericsson still gets to play over Smith.  It almost makes me wonder if Blashill is trying to prove a point to someone, like Holland.

Posted by Primis on 04/01/16 at 12:18 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

The kid starts his baseball tournament season here tonight, so I won’t see the game… but something tells me I won’t be ‘missing’ much.  rolleyes

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/01/16 at 12:20 PM ET

I am going to go out on a limb here and say the wings make the playoffs.  The game on the 6th is huge.  Also, the Flyers play the Penguins twice… which I see the Penguins winning at least the home game but quite possibly both.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/01/16 at 12:24 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

I’ve been really happy with the defensive play of Mantha (in addition to liking his offensive play), but I can’t deny that I’ll be looking forward to his shifts after PKs when I think we might see this line:

LW/Larkin-C/Zetterberg-RW/Mantha.

I’m really looking forward to tonight.

LGRW!!

Posted by alwaysaurie on 04/01/16 at 12:28 PM ET

I don’t get the Smith benching, there are a lot of other D-Men I would bench first.  Is there an off ice issue we don’t know about?

Posted by bababooey on 04/01/16 at 12:40 PM ET

So what exactly is the reason they won’t give Jurco a chance? How is he always the healthy scratch when he has good possession numbers and contributes defensively. If someone would give him a chance he can be a positive player and a scoring threat. Did he hurt the team when he was playing earlier in the year? Just wondered if someone has seen or heard something I missed?

Posted by Ivan on 04/01/16 at 02:00 PM ET

I don’t understand you guys. Stop wondering why other players aren’t getting benched. D65? NOPE. Kronner? NOPE Quincey? NOPE Green? NOPE. That leaves Smith, Marachenko, and no, Smith is getting benched. Erricson WILL NEVER!!!... I reapeat, NEVER get benched no matter HOW HARD he *#$%@& up. He is never getting benched. Who cares? This season is doomed and even if they make the playoffs, we will be ousted in 5 games or less.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 04/01/16 at 02:21 PM ET

They lose more with Jurco in the lineup (16-19-7) than without him (22-9-4).

This isn’t very fair to him considering his ice time is so limited that there’s no way he has that much a negative impact on games, but it’s true this season.

Posted by Vasha on 04/01/16 at 02:29 PM ET

I’m betting what happens is that when he’s in the lineup he only plays about 6 minutes, so other players are being overplayed and get more tired, thus leading to more losses.

Posted by Garth on 04/01/16 at 02:35 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Isn’t that what elbows are for?

Posted by MoreShoot

Elbows (and a giant butt) worked well for Homer in front of the net, but Mantha is nowhere near as aggressive as Homer was – at least not so far. He just doesn’t seem like a bang-and-crash kind of guy.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/01/16 at 04:01 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I like Jurco in the lineup myself, he brings some size and he uses it, he’s not a wild guerrilla but he’s not easy to play against either and size and pressure is something we need.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 04/01/16 at 04:26 PM ET