The Malik Report

The mighty Detroit Red underdog Wings

I'm just "getting my feet wet" after a full three weeks on the shelf with the norovirus, so I don't know whether you'd like me to dig up every Red Wings-Blackhawks series preview out there, but MLive's Brendan Savage did an excellent job of finding and compiling over 30 series predictions, and as you might expect, the vast majority of the "experts"--Savage included--don't give the Wings a chance in hell of defeating the Hawks:

Virtually everybody likes the Blackhawks, who were 4-0 against the Red Wings en route to the NHL's regular-season championship with a 36-7-5 record.

Of the 33 predictions MLive.com dug up, only three picks went in favor of the Red Wings, who posted a 24-16-8 regular-season record before upsetting the second-seed Anaheim Ducks in the first round of the playoffs.

The other 30 prognosticators picked the Blackhawks and one went so far as to predict a Chicago sweep.

Continued, and I don't need to tell you that the rest of the interweb feels the same way, but if you're interested in rooting for the underdogs in a fashionable way, here's some free advertising:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Red Winger's avatar

Pretty sure the LA Kings were underdogs in each series last year, too

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/15/13 at 09:50 AM ET

Primis's avatar

It’s going to be interesting to see how CHI deals with real, actual pressure.  MIN gave them none, and I’m curious what happens if DET can take one in CHI, or if they can get CHI on the wrong end of momentum in DET, or…. well, there are a lot of scenarios.

Underdog of favorite, doesn’t matter.

Posted by Primis on 05/15/13 at 09:57 AM ET

Underdog of favorite, doesn’t matter.

Posted by Primis on 05/15/13 at 10:57 AM ET

Yup.  Prognosticators can have their predictions, and they’re just trying to sell papers and ones and zeros.

The-fuch-ever.  Let’s play some hockey.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/15/13 at 12:21 PM ET

joedaiceman's avatar

Not sure what will happen in the series, but I take solace in the fact the the only people that count believe that they can win - that is the Red Wings themselves.

Posted by joedaiceman on 05/15/13 at 02:19 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Detroit is a bigger team, a grittier team.  They need to play to those strengths, hard fore-check, hard pressure, don’t get back into that “hang back and see what they do” style of play.  Force the issue and puck support and it’s ours.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/15/13 at 04:25 PM ET