The Malik Report

The lockout was ‘stupid?’ Damn f’ing right it was.

This isn't usually TMR stuff, but I'm gonna be blunt here: while I am very, very happy that there is going to be some sort of 2012-2013 NHL season, and I'm grateful for the fact that I'm going to be able to see my Red Wings play in January instead of waiting until September...

I'm still pissed off about the just-ended lockout. Really, really pissed off. I'm starting to replace my, "Hopeful but not optimistic" line about the CBA with, "It will take time to heal" when my friends and family members ask me what I think about the lockout ending (or, far too annoyingly often, being asked about the fact that the "strike is over"). I'm not among the number of NHL fans that jumped up and down and cheered because--as Michael Caples, put it, NHL hockey is finally joining the 2012-2013 season party.

Around 5:30 AM EDT last Sunday, I didn't check Twitter on my phone, hop out of bed and cheer. Instead, I railed against the utter, complete ridiculousness and needlessness of the proceedings, the ego wars, the Kabuki theatre, and as you might expect, my belief that the owners and Chairman have some 'splaining to do in the form of ensuring that we have witnessed our last "work stoppage" (at least of Bettman's reign, if not in terms of "last in league history").

So I'm all with Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller here, as quoted by the Associated Press:

"The best thing to do is acknowledge that it was stupid," Miller said Friday, before turning his attention to Sabres fans. "I appreciate their patience. I know it's a hard situation. I still don't even know the right message because it was just a stupid, useless waste of time."

The story continues, and Miller rather appropriately rips into Bettman--though even I will readily admit that I kinda got the feeling that it was more about Gary vs. Don and less about saving a season than winning an ego war and a rhetorical battle among labor lawyers (see also: once you're wheeled into the operating room, you may have the most caring surgeon in the history of medicine, but you've just become a piece of meat)...

But the whole damn reason I'm writing this at the end of a "difficult" first day back at work is that I'm not closing the laptop lid for the night/morning before saying it out loud:

I am a Red Wings fan, an NHL hockey fan and a hockey fan, period, and yes, I am glad that the lockout is over...

But I am still very, very angry about what transpired between July of 2012 and last weekend, and I believe that it's going to take a very, very long time for both the NHL, NHLPA, the owners, the players and teams to "make things right" between the people who provide hockey at its highest level to hockey fans and the passionate people who pay everyone's salaries.

Something tells me I'm not alone in this department, either.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Slumpy's avatar

Why hasn’t Jimmy Devellano been fired or “retired” yet now that the season is to start. Jimmy D’s players are “cattle” comment cost Illitch a lot of money and was a spit in the face of the Red Wings players.

Comcast better give us free NHL Centre Ice. My cable bill just went up so give me a reason not to switch to DirectTV.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 01/12/13 at 02:47 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Hear Hear, George.

Glad to see the gang here firing on all cylinders.

LGRW

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 01/12/13 at 02:59 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Something tells me that Jimmy D got his $ back via a little Board of Governors’ “passing of the hat.” I still think *he* owes people an apology.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/12/13 at 03:08 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Fuch jimmy d. No apologies will cut it. He burned his team and his fans. Ryan miller was already aces to me, but his cried increased tenfold for his leadership in this lockout. He did his union proud.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/12/13 at 04:23 AM ET

“The best thing to do is acknowledge that it was stupid,”

Yep.  660 mil to get pretty much the deal you could have gotten over a month ago and not lost a game or a dime or a fan?

I’d say ‘stupid’ might just be an understatement.

But hey, solidarity!

In related news, Hostess just sold off it’s breads brand for something like 380 mil.

Granted, 18,000 people who used to work there are out of work or will be soon, but I’m sure in this robust economy it won’t be hard at all for them to find a job.

Solidarity, ain’t it grand?

The lesson, as always, is that emotion and principles are great things.  They can be huge positives when applied in a intelligent manner.  When they assume primacy over rational thought, however, disaster and disgrace almost always ensue.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/12/13 at 06:29 AM ET

For what?  He’s right, George.

“It’s very complicated and way too much for the average Joe to understand, but having said that, I will tell you this: The owners can basically be viewed as the Ranch, and the players, and me included, are the cattle. The owners own the Ranch and allow the players to eat there. That’s the way its always been and that’s the way it will be forever.  And the owners simply aren’t going to let a union push them around. It’s not going to happen.”

The owners do own the ranch, and everyone besides them is part of the asset that adds value to the ranch, cattle, in the analogy.  Jimmy included himself in that too, which I don’t recall ever seeing anyone actually mention before.  There was just all the ‘he called the players cattle!’ hurf and durf.

He called himself cattle too.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/12/13 at 06:37 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Yeah, everyone else is too dumb to understand. no wonder you’re defending him. Birds of a condescending feather.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/12/13 at 11:59 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

We’ll have to agree to disagree here, HiHD.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/12/13 at 12:19 PM ET

Dakkster's avatar

Solidarity, ain’t it grand?

You have obviously been blaming the players all this time. This implies that you’re blaming the Hostess workers too when the Hostess board was ever so clearly corrupt, moneygrubbing bastards, lining their pockets at every chance.

That leads me to one conclusion: You think the Enron guys did nothing wrong. At all. But hey, solidarity!

Jeez…

Posted by Dakkster from Southern Sweden on 01/12/13 at 01:11 PM ET

It was stupid, too bad the players decided not to negotiate in October when the same deal they got in January was available to them!

Posted by timbits on 01/12/13 at 03:03 PM ET

Dakkster's avatar

What alternate timeline are you living in? There was no offer in October that was even remotely close to the one the players finally got.

Posted by Dakkster from Southern Sweden on 01/12/13 at 05:56 PM ET

This final deal was available for a considerable amount of time. IF you can recall, Fehr was trying to talk about HIS plan in October, not the one that was the basis of the final deal. So YES the final deal we have today was available for several months. The PA was trying to see if the owners would crack and it didn’t happen!

Posted by timbits on 01/13/13 at 12:25 PM ET

Dakkster's avatar

You obviously have no clue how negotiation works. If Fehr didn’t play hardball for so long there is no way the league would have budged on so many things. For example, the five year contract limit that Daly said was a hill they would die on. Oversimplyfying and saying that “oh, but that offer was KIND OF there in October” is just stupid. Sorry, but there’s no other way to frame it. It was NOT the same framework as in October. The “make whole” portion of the deal? All the other givebacks that the owners caved on along the way?

This was never a question about the PA winning. The league was going to win. The question was how much the PA would lose. If the PA would have accepted the October offer, or a slightly tweaked version of it, they would have lost considerably compared to the deal they have now.

Posted by Dakkster from Southern Sweden on 01/13/13 at 06:48 PM ET

George,
I feel your anger at the lockout. I’m proposing a boycott of opening night. This may not be an option for you considering your livelihood depends upon it, but for anyone else, look it up on facebook and plan on attending or not attending the event.

see you there.

Posted by tbuhg on 01/15/13 at 01:40 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

It is my job to cover opening night :/

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/15/13 at 01:55 AM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

I have to watch the games. They are like a drug to me.

Get out of the way, this junky needs his fix.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 01/15/13 at 02:32 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

It’s called “hockey dependency.” It’s a lifestyle choice, and you can get help.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/15/13 at 03:18 AM ET