The Malik Report

The Latest On The Wings

The Wings had an optional skate today and I believe Z, Datsyuk, Kronwall and Flip passed on the skate.

No reports of anyone suffering from the flu or any injuries that popped-up in the last 24 hours, so it looks as if the Wings will go with what got them in the playoffs.

Best quote from after practice goes to Babcock...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

bezukov's avatar

“I don’t consider him a college kid. He looks like a Red Wing to me.”

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/30/13 at 04:07 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I saw that Quincey got his mask off.  His play’s been pretty good with it on, tho.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/30/13 at 04:15 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Did Helm or Tuzzi skate by chance?

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 04/30/13 at 04:24 PM ET

Paul's avatar

No word on Helm but Bert and Sammy skated

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/30/13 at 04:29 PM ET

Which means it’s still Q/Smith on the second D pairing.

Poor Smitty…

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/30/13 at 04:33 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Which means it’s still Q/Smith on the second D pairing.

Aren’t that actually the third pairing now?  I thought DeKeyser/Kindl were 3/4 in the Dallas game.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/30/13 at 04:41 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Last I heard Helm was making the plane ride out to get some practices in with the team and try to be ready if they need him.  Says all the docs, though they say it’s 4 different things, all say he can’t make it any worse.  Since they are staying in Anaheim instead of traveling all the time it’d be worth it to try to come back from his week vacation and try to make some progress.

Doesn’t sound optimistic though.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/30/13 at 04:41 PM ET

Honestly if this is what the Wings have to resort to it is definately not a good thing.  I imagine pain will take away from playing with speed and playing physical and that’s Helm for ya

Posted by neffernin on 04/30/13 at 04:57 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

“I don’t consider him a college kid. He looks like a Red Wing to me.”

Honestly, I think DeKeyser looked like a Red Wing after the first period he played in his first game. The only one I’ve ever been more impressed with right out of the gate is Helm.

As I said in another post, I think he might be a difference-maker in this series for the Wings, especially if he can add a couple of goals to his rock-solid defensive play.

Let the games begin.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/30/13 at 06:45 PM ET

I always got a kick out of the people who would blast Babcock for playing vets over kids, thinking he did that because he had some bias against playing kids or a bias for playing vets, or both.

That was always a really stupid opinion, and it made me chuckle to see people trot it out just because it fit their ‘analysis’ of how good a prospect or a vet was.

The reality is, Babcock plays the guys who play the best and he always has.  It just burns people that sometimes the guys who are playing the best aren’t the guys they either want to see or that they themselves think are playing the best.

If there was any kind of a vet bias at play here Sammy and Bert would be in while Nyqvist and Andersson would be out, and either White or Colaiacovo would be in and DeKeyser would be on the bench.

I really like what DeKeyser has done so far, but he’s pretty much a #4 guy right now.  Fortunately Holland signed him so he didn’t lose his job.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 04/30/13 at 07:39 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

The reality is, Babcock plays the guys who play the best and he always has.

Like just about everything you say, HD, that’s a load of sh!t.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/30/13 at 07:41 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I think he looks like a Red Wing to me, too.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 04/30/13 at 08:04 PM ET

Like just about everything you say, HD, that’s a load of sh!t.

Well argued, OTC.

Keep on hating on one of the best coaches in the game and one of the best GMs in the game, though.  That’s really working for you.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 04/30/13 at 10:04 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Well argued, OTC.

That wasn’t an “argument.” It was a statement of fact.

But I will give you this much, your original comment was one of the shortest statements of pure BS that you’ve made in the past three months. If you keep shortening them, maybe you’ll get down to the point where you actually make sense. A ballpark figure for that would be two word or less. So I guess that eliminates “I love Babcock.” Too bad.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/01/13 at 01:15 AM ET