The Malik Report

The Health Of The Wings

Paul here for George as he waits for his laptop to be fixed.  Maybe later today or tomorrow is the estimated time.

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Every visit to a doctor keeps yielding the same information: Detroit Red Wings forward Darren Helm just needs time to heal from his back injury.

Helm hasn't played hockey in a month, hasn't even skated in that time, hasn't so much as worked out. He went to see another specialist Monday in New York, and the diagnosis remains the same.

"It's a strained ligament," general manager Ken Holland told the Free Press today. "Darren is very frustrated, and we are, too. It's not healing as fast as we'd hoped, but we have to make sure we're conservative. It was important to get another opinion.

"Every test has been negative; there's no damage. So we just have to be patient. The doctor gave him some different pain medication to help speed the healing process, but it's a slow process."

continue for Bettuzzi, Franzen, Smith and other updates...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Well, fortunately things like ligament injuries aren’t recurring, Helm doesn’t really rely on his speed and physical aggressiveness, and Detroit isn’t tied to him for very long or for very much money.

Just imagine if any of that was true.  -shudder-.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 02/26/13 at 01:58 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I said it before and I’ll say it again…. Time to call Dr. Sarno.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 02/26/13 at 02:03 PM ET

Posted by HockeyinHD on 02/26/13 at 12:58 PM ET

You’re right.  Four years at less than two million a year is SO MUCH MONEY!!!!  I think we can all agree that the team might as well just fold, right?

Posted by Garth on 02/26/13 at 02:08 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I know how frustrating a back injury can be. I have 2 discs in my lower lumbar that are jacked up. I’m pretty much in constant pain. Some days are better than others. Back in November, I aggravated it playing hockey. I made a forehand to backhand deke and when I twisted, it felt like someone stabbed me in the back and pain shot straight down into my right calf. I almost didn’t make it back to the bench. I haven’t been able to play since. Some days I can’t straighten up, some days I can barely get my socks on. So I know what Darren is going through. It royally sucks.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 02/26/13 at 02:15 PM ET

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 02/26/13 at 01:15 PM ET

Get well soon, Cochise.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/26/13 at 03:36 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

Get well soon, Cochise.

I’m trying, Kemosabe. I appreciate it.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 02/26/13 at 03:42 PM ET

You’re right.  Four years at less than two million a year is SO MUCH MONEY!!!!

Now I understand why you and I disagree so often:  1) We observe different realities.

I think we can all agree that the team might as well just fold, right?

And 2) You absolutely cannot resist making insipid arguments.  I mean, you’re capable of comprehending a difference between being able to express concern about a player and that players contract with that pile of quoted donkey bleep you let slip from your keyboard to recklessly splash across the internet, right?

Helm’s not-insignificant injury history is a concern.  His style of play (as in, it exacerbates injuries, in case that slips past you) compounds that concern.  That these exist at the age of 26 is a concern.  That he is under contract through age 30 is also a concern.

So, yeah, I’m concerned.  I have concerns.  Aren’t you?

Posted by HockeyinHD on 02/26/13 at 03:47 PM ET

So I know what Darren is going through. It royally sucks.

Back injuries are completely the worst.  IMO they are second only to head trauma in terms of their ability to be complete mysteries to treat, but also totally debilitating when they are present to any real degree.

This is the kind of stuff that can completely derail a guy’s career.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 02/26/13 at 03:52 PM ET

Yes, I have concerns for his well-being.  I don’t have concerns about his contract.  My last “bleeping” concern is his contract.

His contract is neither long nor expensive in the scheme of NHL contracts.

Do I hope he gets better?  Absolutely.  Do I worry about how his contract is going to affect the Illitch’s bottom line?  Not a “bleeping” lot.

You absolutely cannot resist making insipid arguments.

And you absolutely cannot comprehend a joke.

I will explain it gently.  I was not suggesting that the Red Wings would actually fold because of the relatively short, relatively inexpensive contract of a third line player.

Understand?

Posted by Garth on 02/26/13 at 03:53 PM ET

Crater's avatar

Understand?

Posted by Garth on 02/26/13 at 02:53 PM ET

I’m running to the bleacher report now to let them know the Red Wings are going bankrupt due to Helm and other bad contracts and mismanagement.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 02/26/13 at 04:11 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

He tweaked it working out. Zetterberg and Kronwall have both had back issues and they haven’t been derailed.  While Helm certainly gets more credit for hitting than both of them do, I’m not sure I’d necessarily say his style of play is so much different than theirs.

I’m concerned because I’d rather have a healthy Darren Helm in the lineup, but if he’s not healthy, he’s on the IR and taking up neither roster nor cap space (effectively).  1/32nd of next year’s cap and an even smaller percentage of the follow-on two years after that allays the contractual concerns just about entirely.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/26/13 at 04:43 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Best of luck getting your back pain straightened out Chris in HH. Playing hockey can be downright painful to deal with with nagging pains that don’t go away like they did when we were younger. Do they? Mobic is one of my best friends now since having a shoulder injury 18 months ago.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 02/26/13 at 11:51 PM ET