The Malik Report

The Hawks were owed, apparently

I don't want to take away from the quick take as the place I hope you feel safest to vent regarding the Red Wings' Game 7 loss...

But I'm very angry. Very angry with the media that I've tried to respect while serving as a complimentary voice to objectivity.

I feel like Sarah *#$%@& Palin on Fox News, a tinfoil-hat wearing nut-job for saying this to some extent...But I feel that it must be said from a subjective Red Wings fan who pretends to be a professional blogger.

The "objective" hockey media's take as to who "deserved" to win Game 7 is utterly disgusting. The Walkom call, they've decided, wasn't "fair" (any more or less "fair" than any other of the utterly amazingly stupid calls) amidst a series of "great non-calls" that would theoretically be penalties if there was any sort of consistency in refereeing...

And as such, they are cheering the Blackhawks' win, they are saying that it is only right, that it is only what the Hockey Gods wanted, and that it would not have been "right" or "fair" if the Red Wings had won.

Because the Stalberg call was "brave," lest we forget, and the Shaw slew-foot on Filppula, well, that happens, and the boarding/roughing on Nyquist during the play that led to the series-winning goal, well, that's a referee's discretion.

What the *#$%@&? Seriously, what the *#$%@&? And why do they have the *#$%@& gall to laugh at Wings fans, suggesting that the tinfoil-hat-wearers MUST NEVER COMPLAIN AGAIN BECAUSE THEY GOT THE BEST NON-CALL EVER?

Objectivity my ass. My big fat dimpled ass. My professionalism's gone out the window during this series, but tonight, the same appears to be true for the rest of the smarter, more polished types who insist that they see the game as it really is.

Apparently there's only one way to see it. That Chicago was vindicated. Because "fans"--the people whose clicks and page reads pay the salary of the people who cover the game and "the story" for a living--don't know well enough on their own.

I've worked very hard to tell people what I think and then get out of the way, assuming that what I think and my observations are not the be-all-end-all, and that readers end up driving the conversation. Maybe I've got it wrong.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Why those fuchs at NBC will NOT be getting any kind of attention the rest of playoff year until the prospects and full TC in TC in September.

I’ve already marked that channel to skip over while I’m channel surfing on my TV.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/29/13 at 11:06 PM ET

//The “objective” hockey media’s take as to who “deserved” to win Game 7 is utterly disgusting. //

By that reasoning, Wings fans could argue the Wings were owed after the questionable penalty shot, or after the Franzen boarding non-call.

Posted by catswithbats on 05/29/13 at 11:07 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

you got it exactly right George !!!!  ......  they call themselves professional but they are anything BUT
NBC and the NHL should be ashamed

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/29/13 at 11:14 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’m so glad I have a means to avoid NBC. The CBC crew was so much better. They actually explained why the no goal was weird, but right. They even said more than once that certain boarding penalties should have been called. They weren’t elated when the game ended. It was professional.

NBC can fuch off. I’m glad I don’t give two shits about any of the four teams left.

See you in October.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/29/13 at 11:16 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Here here George.  I just want something that is a penalty to be a penalty, from October to June, Game 1 to Game 7.  Is that too much to ask?

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/29/13 at 11:26 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Is that too much to ask?

If you’ve been watching any of the playoffs… evidently.

Posted by calquake on 05/30/13 at 12:36 AM ET

d ca's avatar

For the record can’t stand the NBC guys (though I can deal with “doc” and JR for a few games a year), but the rest are as annoying as listening to that White Sox guy calling Cubs games (my 2nd favorite baseball team)...

I too am done watching hockey until training camps.I might watch the draft, but for sure won’t watch the awards presentations like in years past now that it isn’t a show.

Before the series I thought that the hawks would win in 7 AND that it would cause them to lose in the next round just like the Wings vs Sharks matchups from years past. So I better be right about that part too. Detroit surprised me and I thought after they were up 3-1 they would close it out in game 6—hopefully the young guys learn from this like the previous generation of Wings did against NJ where they were swept.

Bring on the East and let the Chicago fans enjoy their rivalries/chants with who cares while we get to play our true rival Toronto and watch more games via CBC (and ones that end before 10pm).

George keep the articles coming—-I for one would like to one soon that speculates on the 2013-14 version of the team and who the Wings could get because they are getting bought out (better be without Filppula as anyone disappearing in a game 7 for getting pushed down doesn’t deserve to be back for anything less than a huge discount).

Posted by d ca on 05/30/13 at 01:20 AM ET

You seem to miss the fact that Walkom’s call was one of the worst calls in Stanley Cup playoff history. Only the tin foil crowd can see it differently. It doesn’t reduce the pain of losing a game seven, but it was a truly horrible call.

Posted by timbits on 05/30/13 at 02:04 AM ET

Alan's avatar

I wonder, was Nyquist being boarded right before the OT goal also a good non-call? We’ll go to Pierre for the answer to that.

I’m with ya, all the “good non-calls” really bothered me. Stuff that was clearly a penalty in the regular season? Pfffft. !@#$ it. Slew foot? AMAZINGLY WONDERFULLY GOOD NON-CALL. And then, everyone on Twitter talking about how Shaw is such a wonderful player and had an awesome period AFTER he should have been tossed from the game only made things worse.

George, thanks for all the hard work composing these posts all throughout the playoffs. I’m looking forward to more incredible posts throughout the offseason.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 05/30/13 at 02:30 AM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

Wings blew a 3-1 lead in the series, losing three games in a row is simply not good enough. no need for blaming it on the reffing in game seven. the wings robbed themselves in games five and six. i really hope the youngsters learned a lot in those last three games. anyway, damn it! is it octover yet?

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 05/30/13 at 03:18 AM ET

Bent's avatar

HAHAHAHAHA.

Worst calls in SCP history huh?

So the ref should have changed his mind about calling coincidental minors when he saw the goal was scored?  Retroactively waive off the penalties?

Listen, I know this call was a huge break for the wings.  I know I would be pissed if I was a Chicago fan.  But if the ref decided to call those penalties, then what happened following was 100% correct.  No tinfoil hat here, this “outrage” is more about the timing than the call.  At least have the balls to admit that.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/30/13 at 07:56 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I can think of a more egregious penalty/non-call in playoff history (the last goal of the last game in 2009 for example)

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/30/13 at 08:47 AM ET

John W.'s avatar

Posted by timbits on 05/30/13 at 03:04 AM ET

I really don’t know why it’s so hard to understand that Walkom was calling the penalties BEFORE THE GOAL WAS SCORED.  You can’t call penalties, and then when you see a scoring chance wait to blow the whistle.  It was coincidental minors, which means the play is dead.  End of story.  You can not like the call, but the goal wasn’t disallowed, it never happened because the play was dead.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 05/30/13 at 02:13 PM ET