The Malik Report

The handshake line

To chants of "Detroit Sucks," the Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks shook hands after Game 7 concluded.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Stay classy, Shitago.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 05/29/13 at 11:03 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

what a classy bunch of Red Wing players .... I’m so very proud of them

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/29/13 at 11:15 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Wow!!! look at Z how he’s really congrats the hawks..He’s a class Act Captain..

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 05/29/13 at 11:17 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

I’m having a mini-debate right now with a Hawks fan about his “with all due respect, Detroit sucks” line. He says because Hawks fans have done this for years, that we’re taking it too seriously in countering him, and he’s starting to throw insults out. I’m trying to point out I understand why these chants happen, but just because fans have been doing it for years, doesn’t mean it’s right in the forum, or tonight, like during the handshake line.

I know fan bases all have their trolls and problem children, but I’m proud of the team for the decades I’ve followed them, and of the fan base (especially here).

Posted by Bugsy on 05/29/13 at 11:27 PM ET

I didn’t hear “Detroit Sucks” chants..Did I miss it?

Posted by cochy on 05/30/13 at 12:05 AM ET

A game 7 win between a Projected Finals team and a team not expected to make the playoffs… Chi should be ashamed to celebrate and just be happy they moved on.  Great Work Wings!!!!

Posted by SlimChance on 05/30/13 at 12:05 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

It was more than evident on the CBC.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/30/13 at 12:13 AM ET

Fans aside, and I try not to let an angry mob of 25,000 drunken sports fans get on my nerves…I think it was pretty clear that these two teams really respected each other and that’s all you can ask for.

It was a wild series and it came down to game 7 overtime…that’s to say, anyone’s game.

Posted by cochy on 05/30/13 at 12:17 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

I was there joining in on that chant. As a Pens fan, I was there more cheering against the Wings than for the Hawks. I don’t cheer against them in a disrespectful way, I do it because they’re a rival of my team and I’ve built up a hate for them in a friendly, sporting way. When we say “Detroit Sucks,” or at least when I do, I don’t mean that the city of Detroit is a bad place or that the Red Wings are bad hockey players. I mean “I hate the Red Wings (or Detroit sports teams).”

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 05/30/13 at 01:27 AM ET

d ca's avatar

CBC has better video (esp angles) and much better mics for audio…

which sucks for those of us that can’t get an upload speed strong enough to sling the HD broadcast from it.

That said I turned it off a sec after the goal and threw the remote down on the couch so I wouldn’t have seen it anyways.

What upsets me more than the chant is the noise throughout the National Anthem. I think it’s disrespectful on a much greater level. That too was a recent tradition that needs to go away. It always gets me when they show the servicemen next to the singer and see what they are doing, yet the people there don’t want to be bothered to notice.

Posted by d ca on 05/30/13 at 01:29 AM ET

Go away, Jeff.  Nobody cares why you do anything.

Posted by ExiledinLA on 05/30/13 at 01:30 AM ET

OnlyWings's avatar

Go away, Jeff.  Nobody cares why you do anything.

Jeff, Maybe just maybe you should learn to only cheer for your teams.  Cheering *cough* against teams is plain stupid and senseless.

I am not going to watch the Pens/Bruins as I do not like The Penguins and the same goes for Kings/Hawks as the Hawks are not a team I want to watch.  My choice.  Hopefully Kings/Bruins Cup Final and I can relax and watch some good hockey! Otherwise I will wait for the Draft, UFA Deadline, signings and CFL football.

Posted by OnlyWings on 05/30/13 at 08:05 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

As my daughter told a boisterous Hawks fan at game six the other night “You guys didn’t even have a TV contract a few years ago, take it down a notch”

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/30/13 at 01:05 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/30/13 at 02:05 PM ET

Please tell me this “fan” had no idea what she was talking about…PLEASE!

Posted by d ca on 05/30/13 at 02:29 AM ET

Ditto…minus the remote throwing. I actually don’t think I saw the puck hit the twine.

And honestly, I don’t know how these guys line up after a series and shake hands. I’d like to think that I can let things go and whatnot, but I don’t think I’d be able to shake hands and look these guys in the eye.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 05/30/13 at 02:12 PM ET