The Malik Report

The Detroit Red Wings Announce The Signing Of Tomas Nosek

Updated at 11:53 AM: From the Red Wings' PR department, as I first reported yesterday, and MLive's Ansar Khan and the Macomb Daily's Chuck Pleiness confirmed:

DETROIT – The Detroit Red Wings today signed left wing Tomas Nosek to a two-year entry-level contract. In accordance with club policy, additional details will not be disclosed.

Nosek, 21, recently completed his third season for HC Pardubice in the Czech ExtraLiga, pacing the team with 44 points (19-25-44) in 52 games. In addition to leading the team in goals and assists, Nosek had a club-best plus-17 rating and contributed six points (3-3-6) in 10 postseason appearances. In 2012-13, the 6-foot-2, 201-pound forward tallied 14 points (5-9-14) in 50 games with the team, adding five points (4-1-5) in five contests with HC Hradec Kralove in second-tier Czech Republic and 14 points (5-9-14) in just six games with HC Pardubice’s under-20 team.

A native of Pardubice, Czech Republic, Nosek has appeared in 129 games in the Czech Republic’s top league since 2011-12, totaling 62 points (24-38-62) and helping his club capture the league championship during his rookie season. Prior to turning professional, he racked up 125 points (53-72-125) in 109 games at the under-20 level for HC Pardubice and 63 points (27-36-63) in the under-18 circuit. Nosek also appeared for his country internationally in 2011-12, serving as team captain during the 2012 IIHF World Junior Championships in Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta, recording one assist in six contests.

Tomas Nosek
Forward
Born Sep 1 1992
Height 6.02 -- Weight 201 -- Shoots L

--- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----
Season   Team                   Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011-12  Pardubice HC           Czech  27    0    4    4    2  --  --  --  --  --
2012-13  Pardubice HC           Czech  50    5    9   14   18   3   1   1   2   2
2013-14  Pardubice HC           Czech  52   19   25   44   36

Update: From the Production Line...

DRW Prospects on Twitter...

The Free Press's Helene St. James...

RedWingsCentral...

And the Windsor Star's Bob Duff:

Passed over two years ago during his NHL entry draft campaign, Nosek played for Wings development coach Jiri Fischer when he was the assistant coach with the 2012 Czech Republic world junior team, where Nosek captained the squad.

“He’s very smart, very responsible defensively, makes good plays,” Fischer said. “He’s more of a playmaker than a natural finisher. He’s a smart guy, does the little things right, can move up and down the lineup. He really did a great job (this season), was the best player on Pardubice. He’ll have to get stronger, work on his skating. He is a hard worker, he is willing. This past year he worked on his finishing and his shot. He just gets better every year. He’s signing with us based on how much better he’s gotten the last three years.

Nosek, who will turn 22 in September, produced 19-25-44 totals with Pardubice of the Czech Extraliga in 2013-14, numbers that led the team in scoring. He was the most penalized player in the playoffs with 44 PIM.

“He’s a competitive guy,” Detroit assistant GM Ryan Martin said. “I think he needs to bulk up. He has the ability to protect the puck down low. Six to eight NHL teams were in the mix to sign him.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

cigar_nurse's avatar

And another left hand shooter with Jurco like size.  Hope he comes to TC in a couple of weeks.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 06/14/14 at 11:49 AM ET

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 06/14/14 at 12:49 PM ET

What the hell, cigarman?  You living in my head like a lounge lizard?

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 06/14/14 at 12:18 PM ET

You were not the first to report it yesterday.  You were the first (on this side of the pond, maybe) to steal it from two Czech newspapers.  They reported it.  You did not add any original content to it.  Reporting means talking to, texting or exchanging emails with Ken Holland or Jiri Fischer or one of the Wings’ Czech players, or, heck, even the third-string administrative assistant.  I didn’t see any reporting from you.

Posted by jkm2011 on 06/14/14 at 01:59 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Calm down. George didn’t say “As I reported first yesterday,” he said “As I first reported yesterday.”

What he said doesn’t mean “I reported it first nyahhhh”. It means, “I began talking about this yesterday and now this is a continuation.”

and no, reporting does not mean that. This would be a valid complaint if George hadn’t actually told us where he got the source information from in the first place, but there’s not a need for an overly pedantic definition of the word here other than to needlessly nitpick.

Also saying “you did not add any original content to it” is an irresponsible lie.

To recap
1. No claim to be the first to have reported it
2. Not stolen, sourced (although the amount of an article that George quotes is sometimes larger than it perhaps should be)
3. Yes reported by sane definition of the term.
4. Material added to with author’s take.

There’s just about nothing in your complain which is valid. Take a break and try again.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/14/14 at 02:24 PM ET

jkm,

Cut George a little bit of slack.  He’s one guy working his backside off day and night to find anything and everything he can from the universe out there about all Wings’ related stuff. It doesn’t have to be original as long as George shows you where it came from.  Personally, I don’t expect him to be the source but I do appreciate his commentary and his reflection on the items he discusses.

Posted by Heresy from Aiken, SC on 06/14/14 at 02:25 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

How do we pronounce this?

Nose-ek?
Nah-Sek?
No-shek?
Nosh-esh?
Tommy N?

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 06/14/14 at 02:29 PM ET

George,
Your work is very much appreciated. Carry on sir!

Posted by Heresy from Aiken, SC on 06/14/14 at 02:29 PM ET

You’re a dick bag.

Posted by Probie4Prez on 06/14/14 at 02:59 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Stealing is what happens when someone finds a story and doesn’t give their source or sources credit. I gave the Czech websites full credit for publishing the news from the get-go. Those who took the report and spoke with the team having magically found out about the signing without crediting the original sources or the person who reported the story in English are the ones who “stole” content, and the mainstream media does it all the time. Most bloggers are far more reasonable when it comes to explaining where their news comes from.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/14/14 at 03:49 PM ET

I see Paul as the author, not George.
I don’t care for George’s fantasie about the Red Wings camelot. But I like when George scours the net and provides us with the news—before the North American media jumps all over it. Good job!
Give me the useful information. Spare me the homer opinions about it.

Posted by Captain Bob on 06/14/14 at 03:49 PM ET

as I posted, as I linked to, as I borrowed, as I quoted—all good—as I reported? that is the lie.  height, weight all stolen from elsewhere and not linked. no original content despite jj assertion.

Posted by jkm2011 on 06/14/14 at 05:41 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

There absolutely is content on that post which is original to George and to say otherwise is a flat out lie.

whining about using the word reported is silly though. If that’s the hill you want this odd ombudsmanship to die on then, have fun with it.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/14/14 at 05:51 PM ET

Who ever posted this report lifted way too much from Bob Duff.
Here’s the test: If you lift so much content that it no longer becomes useful to click the link you’re lifting from, you’re stealing.

Posted by Captain Bob on 06/14/14 at 05:58 PM ET

Trollolol. Nothing to see here folks, move along!

Thanks for the update George, I’m looking forward to seeing what level of player he will be. Any idea if he will be gong to traverse city?

Posted by Vedeynevin on 06/14/14 at 06:00 PM ET

Paul's avatar

As always, if you have an issue, problem, compliment, complaint, etc., I suggest you email the blogger, me or both of us.

The comment section is not a complaint department but rather one to discuss the topic of the post.

Thanks.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/14/14 at 06:15 PM ET

I was just commenting on other comments, which is a very natural element of group conversation

Posted by Captain Bob on 06/14/14 at 06:17 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Understood CB and I made the comment to make sure everyone understands how I like to deal with an issue.

Everyone is titled to their opinion but at times it is best to do it via email or else the topic at hand can get lost in all the comments that have nothing to do about the topic.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/14/14 at 06:23 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Paul, please remove the troll.  Permanently.

Posted by Primis on 06/14/14 at 06:37 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

JJ"s response was very good.  Tactful, yet direct when addressing the issue. However, I think that Probie4Prez wins the day with the minimalist approach.

You’re a dick bag.

Posted by Probie4Prez on 06/14/14 at 03:59 PM ET

Amen…..

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 06/14/14 at 07:09 PM ET

SK77's avatar

jkm2011 has been a straight-up douche nozzle for how many months+++ or more now? What’s the deal with that?

Posted by SK77 on 06/14/14 at 10:38 PM ET