The Malik Report

Talk about a reach…THN’s Campbell says Coyotes staying = Red Wings to the East, Lidstrom returns

Oh boy. The Hockey News’s Ken Campbell takes a story about the Phoenix Coyotes’ likely status as residents of the desert for at least another year and stretches it as far as one can possibly stretch via an earth-to-moon-distance logical leap:

A team moving from the Eastern Conference to the Western Conference will, in turn, pave the way for the Detroit Red Wings to move to the East where they belong. That will not only be a boon for them in terms of start times for their televised road games and travel costs and logistics, but it will also move an aging roster into a conference where it will have a much greater chance for success. It’s hard for these eyes to believe that there’s a single team left in the playoffs in the East that is better than the Red Wings.

Who knows? It might even be the tipping point in defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom coming back to Detroit. If the Red Wings can offer him reduced travel and an enhanced chance to get to the Stanley Cup final, that could be enough of a carrot to have the Norris Trophy finalist come back for another season.

1. No. The Red Wings aren’t going to the East. They’re the West’s “anchor tenant.” They sell out opposing teams’ buildings, and as we all know, Columbus and Nashville would probably get first dibs should the Thrashers move West (which isn’t a sure thing by any stretch of the imagination) for that reason.

2. If Lidstrom chooses to return, he’ll do so because he wants to.

3. Please stop trying to insist that the Wings can’t compete in the West, or insinuate that if you attend Tuesday’s Wings-Sharks game you’re attending a contender’s funeral, and are doing so because the food’s decent.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

if the thrashers do move to winnipeg that the red wings are going to the east. that is were they wanna be.

Posted by jon on 05/10/11 at 01:17 AM ET

I’m with George, too much money involved for the RW to move East.  Might be nice for the old rivalries, but Toronto/Montreal/Boston/NYR don’t have any problem selling out their arenas.

Posted by Chris on 05/10/11 at 02:48 AM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

thank you.

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 05/10/11 at 03:33 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

According to a story by Mark Emmons in the San Jose Mercury News, Jeremy Roenick is saying that he is a “loyal Sharks fan” and further insinuates that his comments on VS were meant to motivate the Sharks in hopes that they will win the cup.

Here are the quotes, read for yourself and make of them what you will…

“I am a huge Sharks fan,” said Roenick, whose last two NHL seasons were with the Sharks. “I am a huge Doug Wilson fan. I think Doug Wilson has stepped to the plate and been very loyal to people, including to Patrick Marleau. And I’m going to call things the way I see them. This is not a personal attack. It’s my job to speak my mind. People can say whatever they want. I want the Sharks to win the Stanley Cup someday. I think the fans deserve it. I think Doug Wilson deserves it. But when you’re in a position to close out your arch-rival, I think you need a better effort. I don’t think it was there and I stand by what I said.”

Finally, Roenick said nobody will have to pass him the salt if he has to eat some crow over his comments as the series continues.

“What if Marleau has the game of his life tomorrow, the San Jose Sharks win the series and they go on and win the Stanley Cup?” he asked. “That’s what I want to happen. As a loyal Sharks fan, I hope my comments are slammed down my throat and Patrick Marleau plays the best game of his life. And if he does, I will be the first one to give him kudos.”

So this is what NHL coverage on Versus is all about?  Analysts who not only openly cheer lead for their chosen teams, but also use their position to say inflammatory things in hopes that the team of whom they are a “loyal fan” will use those words as motivation to beat their “arch rival”.  Seriously?

Anyone else think this ass-hat should be fired?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/10/11 at 05:59 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Sorry for spamming off topic above, but since we’re on the subject of the media, I just found that story kind of weird.

As for the Wings moving to the east—Not. Gonna. Happen.  Simple as that.  I think we all get that by now.  Strange that Campbell can’t seem to draw the same very obvious conclusion.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/10/11 at 06:08 AM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Anyone else think this ass-hat should be fired?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/10/11 at 04:59 AM ET

No, you aren’t the only one.  But we both know that he won’t be.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 05/10/11 at 06:45 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

...but it will also move an aging roster into a conference where it will have a much greater chance for success.

Right.  We all know the Red Wings haven’t had any success.

tongue rolleye

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/10/11 at 09:39 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Anyone else think this ass-hat should be fired?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/10/11 at 04:59 AM ET

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/10/11 at 09:41 AM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Outside of the writers ridiculous remarks about the Wings being old and unable to compete in the Campbell (SJ is the only team to have defeated them in a playoff round since 2007), this makes total sense.

Guessing if this played out that the Wings would go to the southeast (essentially swapping spots with Atlanta), which would be a boon for the financially struggling Panthers and Lightning franchises.  Rick Flair, Ted Leonosis, and Kid Rock would be able to dine together a few times a year too.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 05/10/11 at 10:43 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

At least Campbell understands that the Wings SHOULD be in the East if all other things were equal.  Nonetheless, I can’t argue with George’s logic.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/10/11 at 08:47 PM ET