The Malik Report

Surgery and six months of rehab is what Tyler Bertuzzi gave Nick Jensen—for a tussle’s sake

Normally I would just add this to the in-progress "news of the training camp day" post, but I want it to stand alone, and I want it to stand alone for a reason.

Tyler Bertuzzi broke the cardinal and only rule of the summer development camps in fighting Nick Jensen on the first day thereof this past July. Nick Jensen was basically forced to oblige him, and in doing so, Jensen tweaked his shoulder.

Jensen, who was the WCHA's defenseman of the year, and is one of the Wings' brighter prospects on an incredibly deep defensive pipeline because he can carry the hell out of the puck as a superb, superb skater, has been attending training camp, but he's doing so with a combination cooling pack and muscle stimulator on his shoulder. According to the Macomb Daily's Chuck Pleiness, Tyler Bertuzzi's indiscretion was VERY costly--for Jensen:

Defenseman Nick Jensen is expected to return from shoulder surgery sometime around December or January.

So he has in fact had surgery and he's going to miss six or seven months because an 18-year-old who'd just been drafted decided to make a name for himself at a skill development camp.

That ain't right.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Ty should be Jensen’s valet/concierge/errands boy for the duration of his recovery and rehab.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 09/14/13 at 03:59 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Sigh

Posted by Zqto on 09/14/13 at 05:04 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Situation sucks, and I’m sure Lil Bert was the aggressor, but it takes two to tango.  I’m sure Jensen’s pride is at least a little to blame for his current injury woes.

Posted by Hootinani on 09/14/13 at 05:14 PM ET

Crater's avatar

Wings should use this as an example to everyone else. This should not be tolerated.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 09/14/13 at 09:59 PM ET

perfection's avatar

he has quite a name to live up to… you gotta start ending careers somewhere!

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 09/14/13 at 10:38 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I don’t want Bertuzzi to fail or to be hurt or something…I actually want him to keep learning and growing, but I want the Wings to make sure there’s a line from now on. An explicit one.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/14/13 at 10:46 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

If this incident (and a few choice words from his uncle) help Tyler focus on hockey instead of being a “bad ass” each and every shift, then maybe this will all be worthwhile – to everyone except Nick Jensen, of course.

The days of the “prick” who makes a living in hockey hurting people should have died out a couple of years ago. There’s np place for it, or for people like Tyler if he can’t change his ways.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/14/13 at 11:04 PM ET

Good thing the used that second round pick by going off the board and choosing a psychopath…

Posted by Garth on 09/14/13 at 11:35 PM ET

Hey Malik and other chirpers! Watch the 50 sec video on youtube . Its clear Jensen goes after Bertuzzi the first time as bertuzzi tries to skate away. The second time in the video when the fight happens, Jensen starts throwing punches. should Tyler have turtled? I would have loved to have seen all the idiots chirp him even more if he had done that!

Posted by hockeyobserver on 09/19/13 at 09:33 PM ET

Why Malik, in your blog posts the day of the fight,  did you seem excited about what happened and complaining that you missed the scrimmage and the fight. You were not critical of it whatsoever. Now that there is an injury, you condemn Bertuzzi? Can’t have it both ways! By the way I am a big fan of your work, but not your take on this.

Posted by hockeyobserver on 09/19/13 at 10:03 PM ET