The Malik Report

Stuart versus Stewart in Red Wings-Blues game

Red Wings defenseman Brad Stuart hit Alex Piterangelo cleanly, but St. Louis Blues forward Chris Stewart would have none of it. The fight sparked the Wings, and Stewart’s 2-5-and-10 for instigating allowed the Wings to tie the game:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

And this was a national TV audience.  A prime example of the idiocy of retaliatory actions on a clean hit.

What a lousy team.  Forget their resurgence as hockey team.  All of that went to shit tonight.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/24/12 at 01:21 AM ET

Stevis's avatar

EW!
U!
EW!
U!

Posted by Stevis on 01/24/12 at 01:25 AM ET

Wings_Fan_In_KC's avatar

Stewart is a knuckle dragging goon.  I hate to impose more reasons for Shanahan to suspend players but in a case like this where the preceding hit was clean and Stewart came onto the ice with no intention to do anything but chase down Stuart and instigate a fight…...he ought to sit a game as supplementary discipline.

I’m not saying take fighting out of the game, I love the fights where both players are on the ice and agree to go and then drop ‘em.  Stewart was flaing away at Stuart before he was even ready to go or defend himself.  I say make this kind of outright goonery suspendable.

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City... on 01/24/12 at 01:52 AM ET

I have not been a fan of the instigator penalty—until tonight.  This felt more like a player coming off the bench to…oh wait, that is what happened.  BS by Stl tonight.

Posted by 11B3PF7 in MN on 01/24/12 at 02:02 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Stewart was a skill guy in the AHL. I guess he’s just not that skilled. Matt Hendricks (Caps) was the same way.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/24/12 at 02:54 AM ET

John W.'s avatar

Stewart’s gotta learn some control. That’s 2 big games already against Detroit this year he’s taken himself off the ice.  He’s supposed to be an important player for them, but getting tossed outta 1 game and sat for 15 minutes in another doesn’t help at all.  On top of that, his actions tonight very obviously woke up the Wings who weren’t playing very well before that.  That’s the kinda thing that can lose your team a playoff series.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 01/24/12 at 03:26 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Stewart’s a helluva player…But his discipline is lacking. As a Wings fan, I’ll be happy if it stays that way…

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/24/12 at 05:21 AM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

I believe him coming right on the ice and straight after stuart calls for some sort of punishment.

And that was real fair of stewart to go after a guy who’s been on the ice for a whole minute while he’s coming right off the bench.

Posted by Keyser S. on 01/24/12 at 11:20 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I think 17 mins was enough.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/24/12 at 11:54 AM ET