The Malik Report

Steve Ott gets Chara with a spear

Steve Ott, for reasons beyond me, speared Zdeno Chara on the first shift of the Red Wings-Bruins game. The Bruins made sure to show it to the world...

And Jack Edwards and Andy Brickley didn't like it:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

RedMenace's avatar

This is the last time I’m going to defend this, because for whatever reason people will just see whatever evil they want to see:

It wasn’t an intentional spear. If you watch it in real time, it looks like Ott was going to lift or check Chara’s stick, and instead Chara moved it out of the way.

Seriously, it’s not that hard to see if you’re not looking to absolutely vilify someone.

Posted by RedMenace from The He-Man Kadri Haters Club on 10/29/16 at 08:01 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

I didn’t see it but logic would say it was intended to be something else. 5 Min Major on the 1st Shift is truly idiotic if intentional.

Will see if anymore goof ball penalties follow this one

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 10/29/16 at 08:15 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Nah, Ott is garbage, like we all knew when he was signed.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/29/16 at 08:33 PM ET

That looks like a scene from 300

Posted by SlimChance on 10/29/16 at 11:44 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by RedMenace from The Steve Ott Fan Club

That’s the absolute truth right there. At some point, I’m sure all of the Ott haters will have something meaningful to bitch and moan about – but this isn’t it.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/30/16 at 12:29 AM ET

thethirdcoast's avatar

First off, Ott is like 5’11” and Chara is 6’9”...this is literally David vs. Goliath, and Chara’s reputation is hardly based on sterling positioning and anticipating the defensive play.

Second, that was a love tap, not a full-on spear. Chara would have dropped like a ton of bricks if that had been a full-on spear to the solar plexus or the liver.

Posted by thethirdcoast from Rochester, NY on 10/30/16 at 04:49 PM ET