The Malik Report

St. James: Red Wings have contacted Shane Doan

I just told Mike Babcock that I don’t start fires despite being a blogger (Babcock does not have a high opinion of our ilk. Also: he’s ridiculously fit) so here comes the fire, of course, from the Free Press’s Helene St. James:

Sorry, coach.

Update: More from St. James:

Update #2: Via RedWingsFeed, here’s St. Jamesin electronic print:

The Detroit Red Wings wasted no time reaching out to Shane Doan in hopes of luring him to Detroit.

“They’ve shown interest,” Terry Bross, Doan’s agent, told the Free Press today. “I’ve gotten a voicemail from them that I have to return.”

Bross said he anticipates knowing this afternoon where the Phoenix Coyotes stand in regard to the issues surrounding ownership and their arena in Glendale, Ariz. If that isn’t cleared up, Bross said “we’ll start to accept offers tomorrow” for the longtime Coyote.

The Wings appear to have a lead.

“Yeah, I think Shane has interest in Detroit,” Bross said. “That would be fair to say.”

Doan, 35, became an unrestricted free agent July 1, but the lifelong Jets/Coyotes franchise player would prefer to stay in Phoenix. If he doesn’t get the sense the Coyotes will be able to stay put, he’s said he’ll consider going elsewhere.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

bezukov's avatar

Like Jordin Tootoo, I hate Shane Doan, but seeing them in Red and White could change all that.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/09/12 at 04:18 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Oh and I forgot to say…. do it Kenny.  Tick Tock.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/09/12 at 04:19 PM ET

Ducksworth's avatar

Doan would be a perfect fit here in Detroit, make it happen!

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 07/09/12 at 04:27 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

After the entire Suter/Parise situation, I really don’t care to get excited about anything until a deal is actually signed.

As much as we all hate Doan, he’d be a great fit for the club. Between him, Tootoo, and guys like Helm and Abby, we’d probably be seeing the most physical Wings team that we’ve seen in years.

And while you’re at it Kenny, throw an offer at Semin. Use the money.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 07/09/12 at 04:34 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

I wouldn’t mine seeing the Doanbag. Only dislike him cause he’s tough as nails. But remember, he did dislocate his own shoulder trying to not kill Howard.. so.. Respect to that. I wouldn’t mind seeing a Tootoo, Helm, Doan line. Haha.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 07/09/12 at 04:36 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Doan would be a perfect fit here in Detroit, make it happen!

not to quarrel for it’s own sake, but a fit with whom?  Does he become your top line RW with Pav?

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/09/12 at 04:37 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

..it could be that ‘missing’ piece of the puzzle.

Posted by detroitredwings on 07/09/12 at 04:38 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

There’s no way I pay the guy $5M+ and put him on a 3 line.  If Detroit wants him, they have to be thinking top 6.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/09/12 at 04:39 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/09/12 at 02:39 PM ET

I know. I am just saying.. I wouldn’t mind seeing that wrecking ball of a line.. Much better than Helm, Abby and Tootoo.. I’m just afraid Abs would let his shot go and catch nothing but glass.. like always.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 07/09/12 at 04:42 PM ET

Ducksworth's avatar

Thats what I’m thinking, then have a skilled guy play the left side like Nyquist or even Semin if they were to go that route.

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 07/09/12 at 04:47 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Is Doan a finisher?  Nyquist is still mostly a playmaker, though I see he has the potential to evolve to be more of a scorer.

I’m not arguing against.  I’m just thinking that Bert works ok with Pav, too.

Speaking of which, what happens to Bert if they bring in Doan.  Or even if they don’t?

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/09/12 at 04:52 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Moreshoot,

Where did you pull a 5m from?  I’ve not seen that number anywhere and don’t see Doan getting 5.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/09/12 at 04:54 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

He makes 4.5 now, doesn’t he?  I don’t see him leaving Ph for less than 5.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/09/12 at 04:58 PM ET

t$w$'s avatar

Doan Helm Tootoo Bert Abdelkader

All of a sudden the Wings look a little mean.  LOVE IT!

Maybe even ink Semin to a one year 6 mil contract to prove himself and become a true professional alongside Datsyuk.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Posted by t$w$ on 07/09/12 at 04:58 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I’ve stated a few times lately I have wanted Doan to come here for the last three years since Master Chief was reviling him as we do to our playoff opposition who play like they believe they can win.

I don’t care which line he goes on, occasionally he could end up banging with Abdelkader and Helm to generate some juice, but not likely very often.

Remember the Babs 2012 post game quote, directed at whomever you see fit, “If you want to play in space go play in a different league, or make your own space.”  Doan will do that.

Give him a raise from his $4.5, and do it right fom the beginning, not like we did with Suter.  Make it easier for him to consider leaving the Coyotes a reality.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/09/12 at 05:01 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Doan will do that.

Make his own space, I mean.

Money is one thing we have plenty of, let’s not cheap out.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/09/12 at 05:04 PM ET

Posted by RorSchach

This!
I kinda disliked him until that day, when he was in a situation where the vast majority of players would have finished Jimmy’s playoff run without thinking twice, and Doan actually jeopardized his own run, by doing the right thing and jumping over Jimmy

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 07/09/12 at 05:05 PM ET

Ducksworth's avatar

I think he would work on the 3rd line, but really can’t speculate line-ups until the season is close to starting because you gotta think Kenny is gonna move some forwards out since we already have a surplus. Hopefully move some of that forward depth for a D-man.

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 07/09/12 at 05:12 PM ET

TKShreve's avatar

Rest assured, if we do pick him up, Babcock will try him on every sort of line possible. Leave no combination untried. The Babcock mantra (for good hair)

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 07/09/12 at 05:18 PM ET

babymachine's avatar

Doan would be a great fit. And he’s a leader in the dressing room, which is something we’ve needed since losing Draper/Osgood, and now Lidas.

Posted by babymachine from Portland, Oregon by way of Macomb, Michigan on 07/09/12 at 05:19 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Primary reason I would want him over Semin.  I would always wonder when Semin would disappear on us.  Sad to say that.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/09/12 at 05:22 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

My initial reaction is “35 year old players on the decline do not get raises to go to a contender” but I can’t help but agree with the, “the wings have money, spend it” side either.    I’m not a huge fan but he would fill holes and would seem to be a fit.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/09/12 at 05:29 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Frankly, I think you are signing him for intangibles more than goals.  He can score 20.  Who knows, with Pav maybe 25 or 30.  But being a leader and making sure Pav is respected at all times ... is what I would pay him for.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/09/12 at 05:39 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Bert can go on the third line and save his legs and back.  Keep him for shootouts.  Get some speed on the RW with Pav, some energy.  The one thing I notice about the Wings is how flat they look through the entire game.  I can tell because if they’re down with 5 minutes left, all of a sudden I see a fuchin’ stanley cup championship caliber team that the other team can barely hold onto let alone keep up with.  They need someone to pull that out of them AT THE BEGINNING of the game while the score is still even.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/09/12 at 05:41 PM ET

Speaking of which, what happens to Bert if they bring in Doan

Hopefully Bert plays way somewhere the hell away from the top six.

Posted by Garth on 07/09/12 at 05:45 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

My initial reaction is “35 year old players on the decline do not get raises to go to a contender” but I can’t help but agree with the, “the wings have money, spend it” side either.  I’m not a huge fan but he would fill holes and would seem to be a fit.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/09/12 at 03:29 PM ET

My thoughts exactly.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/09/12 at 03:39 PM ET

AND he is a BIG body who always make space on the ice.  With him on Pav’s line, he is making space for himself and/or Pav and/or the other winger (please be Nyquist).  This would be wonderful.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 07/09/12 at 05:45 PM ET

Bert’s most annoying habit is that stupid drop pass behind him and there’s no trailer to pick up the loose puck.  The guy can pass, but he only seems to think he can see the ice better than anyone else.

I would hate to get into that Ray Bourque sympathy route, but by all accounts in the dressing room and off the ice, Doan is a respectable man whose demeanor would fit right in with the Wings dressing room.

And he’s a notorious prankster as well so that helps, too.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/09/12 at 06:25 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

I would embrace the signing of Doan.  I don’t think he’s an offensive threat like he once was, but he’d definitely be an upgrade offensively over Cleary or Bert.  He has size and strength, which the Wings could definitely use.

By all accounts he’s a great guy.  Apparently, during the 2005 lockout, he ended up anomalously paying for some entire salaries for some of the lower-ranking front office people (secretaries, assistants, etc.) for the Coyotes who wouldn’t have been paid otherwise.

Posted by Ajax19 on 07/09/12 at 06:38 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

“anomalously” above, should be “anonymously”, of course.

Posted by Ajax19 on 07/09/12 at 06:39 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

yes, please!

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 07/09/12 at 06:43 PM ET

awould's avatar

I’d love to see Doan signed for 2 years, 3 tops. Don’t see him signing anywhere for less than 1, except Phoenix. I kind of think he’ll sign w/ PHX for 1 year in hopes things get sorted out and they stay.

He’d be an asset with Detroit, that’s for sure. I’m getting excited about the physical play they’re gonna bring this season.

I’d still rather they sign Semin though. The potential is HUGE, he’s a big guy, and he’s a righty.

Posted by awould on 07/09/12 at 06:56 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

even though Doan is a UFA(and has nothing to do with speaking to the yotes themselves), maybe Kenny should keep dialog lines open with the Yotes at the same time and work some magic for Yandle. A better quality defender with a very nice offensive upside would be welcomed alongside Doan.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 07/09/12 at 07:08 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

pro hockey talk says Doan is looking for 4- 5 yrs & wants to saty in west

Posted by Evilpens on 07/09/12 at 07:21 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

The stalwart winger still has plenty left in the tank, and is seeking a four-to-five-year deal that should take him to the end of his career.

Posted by Evilpens on 07/09/12 at 07:23 PM ET

yzer19man's avatar

One thing that this guy has that some of our forwards don’t is consistency. You know what to expect every day with Shane Doan. He hits everything that moves, can put up 20+ goals, 50-60 pts every season, plays no less than 75 games each year. For the amount of aggression and physical abuse he puts himself through, he stays very healthy.

Playing for team Canada in the Worlds year after year when his team wasn’t good enough to make the playoffs has always impressed me too. Babs obviously knows this guy well, from coaching him at the Worlds.  This signing would be a win, win, all around. If we can ink him, we will no doubt have one of the deepest consortium in the league as far as our forwards go. One more 3-4 defender, and we are looking very good for next season (if there is a next season).

LETS GO WINGS