The Malik Report

St. James reports that Darren Helm did not skate on Tuesday

I'd have preferred to keep this within today's practice post, but as Darren Helm watch is something of a concern of international proportions, the Free Press's Helene St. James took note of the fact that Helm did not skate today at the Joe:

Last week, Helm was part of the growing-daily number of Detroit Red Wings who have had enough of summer and were getting a head start on avoiding pulled groins by skating at Joe Louis Arena. Training camp doesn't begin until next week, but there's ice at the Joe.

So why wasn't Helm on that ice today? His coach figures he knows.

"I didn't see him today, so he must be doing really good," Mike Babcock said, smiling. "He had another day off, I would assume."

Helm, of course, basically hasn't played hockey in a year and a half. He missed all but one game in the lockout-shortened 2013 season because of a sore back. He's supposedly doing great now.

"Obviously, things are going good for him, and he must be getting ready to go," Babcock said.

Know this, though: The Wings aren't banking on Helm until they see him play — and play again.

"It's going to be half a year," Babcock said of Helm's full recovery. "It's going to take him some time to get to be Darren Helm, just strengthwise. There's no way you can be who you are if you've been off as much. But he's got to feel good about himself. The times I've talked to him, he feels good and getting better."

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

So it’s now news that he didn’t skate?

Were his casual, no puck, no contact, no hard-skating strolls around the rink really enough for people to be convinced that he’s 100% ready to go and recovered from that back issue that no doctor in the world was able to properly diagnose?

Posted by Garth on 09/03/13 at 02:57 PM ET

“It’s going to be half a year,” Babcock said of Helm’s full recovery. “It’s going to take him some time to get to be Darren Helm, just strengthwise. There’s no way you can be who you are if you’ve been off as much. But he’s got to feel good about himself. The times I’ve talked to him, he feels good and getting better.”

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 09/03/13 at 03:02 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

*#$%@& if I know. I posted it because I was told to post it. Maybe he was in tremendous pain. Maybe he broke a toe. Maybe he had a hangnail. Maybe his groin was sore. Maybe he was busy saving the world from evil. Maybe he slept in. Who the *#$%@& knows right now. It’s very frustrating to follow for me as well—and ONE MISSED DAY DOES NOT MEAN THE END OF THE WORLD ALL CAPS RAGE AAARRR!!!11111111

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/03/13 at 03:05 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/03/13 at 04:05 PM ET

George, take it down a notch.  If you are going to get this worked up about Garth’s pertinent, yet condescending sarcasm before training camp, how are you going to survive an entire season?

Posted by Hootinani on 09/03/13 at 03:15 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I’m reacting about the Helm news, not Garth—so I apologize, Garth, if you thought it was directed at you.

I don’t mind Garth’s sarcasm at all. I mind the media’s constant EVERYBODY PANIC nutsoness.

We won’t know what’s going to happen until it happens. Until Helm’s either healthy or on the IR, people will be scurrying to file stories about every sneeze, and having watched Helm go through what he did during the summer camp, man, Training Camp’s going to be an adventure and a half for the poor guy.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/03/13 at 03:20 PM ET

DocF's avatar

I suppose I am a born pessimist and sometimes that is good.  My outlook on the Darren Helm watch is that he most likely will never play hockey again.  If his back issues subside enough so he can or if the doctors finally find a cause and fix it, then I will be pleasantly surprised.

This type of story is very frustrating to report, for sure.  It involves a lot of “if on the one hand this and other other hand that” speculation.  In addition, the level of reportage in the world of sports is excessive and usually poorly informed.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 09/03/13 at 03:27 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I mind the media’s constant EVERYBODY PANIC nutsoness.

The only thing that will cure that is the season starting, with or without Helm.  Although I’d rather hear “updates” on Helm than anymore “Alfie’s an unloyal ass for leaving OTT” stories.

Posted by Hootinani on 09/03/13 at 03:53 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by DocF from Reidsville, NC on 09/03/13 at 04:27 PM ET

I share this feeling exactly.  I’ve mentally pencilled him out of the lineup for 2013-14 at the very least.

Something has just not felt right about this all along and the longer things go, the more questions we have.

That’s not any knock on Darren.  It’s just the way it is, what’s happened.  Maybe it’s best if we mentally move on from him now so it maybe won’t hurt and suck so much later.  For a guy whose game relies so much on speed, problems like these are awful and they do in fact sometimes never get back.  Even if Darren does get back, but loses some of his speed, he may no longer be a serviceable NHLer even.

Posted by Primis on 09/03/13 at 05:18 PM ET

Time for Helene to remind us the Wings still want to resign Cleary.  For the 1100th time this summer.

Posted by maltby18 on 09/03/13 at 05:19 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

“Obviously, things are going good for him, and he must be getting ready to go,” Babcock said.

In other news, Babs noted that St. Nick also has not been skating in Sweden, and he takes that as a sign that he’s ready to return to the Wings for one year at the League minimum.

Seriously, folks, anyone who believes anything Babs says, is an idiot. And, as the Chief might say, I kinda dig that about him.

I’ll get excited and/or nervous about Helm around the 1st of October. If he’s playing at least every other preseason games and knocking a few guys into the boards, I’ll rejoice. If he’s doing anything less then that, I’ll assume Andersson will be the third-line center on opening day.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/03/13 at 06:25 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

...anything less then that…

Uh, that should be…anything less than that…

Sheesh.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/03/13 at 06:29 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by SYF from minding the gap on 09/03/13 at 04:02 PM ET

love it grin

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 09/03/13 at 09:15 PM ET