The Malik Report

St. James: Nicklas Lidstrom’s excited about next March’s rafter-raising of #5

On Thursday, the Red Wings announced that they will raise Nicklas Lidstrom's #5 to the rafters on March 6th, 2014, and this morning, the Free Press's Helene St. James published a short conversation that she had with Lidstrom after the announcement was made:

[H]ere's what Lidstrom told the Free Press about the big day ahead: "It's a tremendous honor to have my jersey retired next to Yzerman, Lindsay, Howe, Abel, Sawchuk and Delvecchio."

That would be Steve Yzerman (19), Ted Lindsay (7), Gordie Howe (9), Sid Abel (12), Terry Sawchuk (1) and Alex Delvecchio (10).

Lidstrom said his wife, their four sons and his parents will be at Joe Louis Arena that night.

"I'm looking forward to the ceremony and to have my family there," Lidstrom said. "And for them to experience the great atmosphere of the Joe once again!"

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MsRedWinger's avatar

George, the Wings’ schedule shows that game being televised on NHL Network.  I know that network often changes its programming schedule as the season progresses, but I do hope they show that game, and that they have enough sense to show the pre-game festivities.  It would be wonderful to see our beloved Nick honored in front of a national TV audience.

cool smile

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 08/02/13 at 10:30 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I do believe that the NHL Network will air it, but I’m worried that NBCSN will gobble it up from Fox Sports Detroit. FSD would dedicate much more time, energy and effort into covering the pre-game ceremony and the post-game reflections upon said ceremony.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/02/13 at 10:40 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Who are we losing to that night?  (We always lose the ceremony games, it seems).

Posted by MoreShoot on 08/02/13 at 10:57 AM ET

Posted by MoreShoot on 08/02/13 at 11:57 AM ET

The Dives are not gonna win on Lidas’ night.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 08/02/13 at 11:00 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

A Thursday night, against a team that does not equate to strong ticket sales. I bet if you looked at the Wings marketing numbers, “Thursday” and “Colorado” are two key words that raise red flags concerning potential ticket sales.

And that sucks for those of us who would like to attend from out of town. You would have to take two days off to go to this game; have it on a weekend, and no days off, plus it could be a weekend-long celebration.

They did the same thing with Yzerman: mid-week game, January 2nd, against Anaheim.

I know few organizations do it as well and as classy as the Red Wings. That’s why it’ s difficult to swallow the fact the dates of the jersey retirement games of the two best Red Wings of our generation have been dictated by marketing, first and foremost.

Come on, Red Wings, you’re better than that.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 08/02/13 at 11:57 AM ET

@Red Winger - I’m wondering if Lidstrom had any say in selecting the date, possibly it falls during a school break for his children or something along those lines ?

Posted by mc keeper on 08/02/13 at 01:26 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

George, do you think that, if NBCSN does “gobble up” the coverage of the game, FSD might film and broadcast a special of just the number retirement ceremony?

I actually get FSD with my sports package here, but the Wings’ games are blacked out.  I do get “Wingspan” and sometimes the pre and post-game coverage…

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 08/03/13 at 08:13 AM ET