The Malik Report

St. James: Nicklas Lidstrom returns to town for two Red Wings games—as a spectator

Former Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom will attend 97.1 FM's SportsFest alongside Tomas Holmstrom this Saturday, and in the interim, Lidstrom has returned to Detroit to meet with the Red Wings' brass as the two parties attempt to define Lidstrom's post-hockey role with the team as a part-time Swedish scout, an ambassador of sorts, a draw for sponsors and, most likely, an at-large member of the Wings' braintrust regarding moves made at the trade deadline, the draft and in free agency...

When he's not letting the front office, Mike Babcock, the Wings' current players or new captain Henrik Zetterberg pick his brain, he's probably going to catch up with best pal Tomas Holmstrom and his old neighbors from Novi, and the Free Press's Helene St. James reports that Lidstrom will attend both tonight's game between the Wings and Blues and Friday night's game against Anaheim:

"I believe, tonight, he's in the box with me, and Friday, he's in the owner's box," general manager Ken Holland said.

Could seeing fellow 42-year-old Teemu Selanne play Friday possibly persuade Lidstrom to come back, especially given how badly the Wings need help on defense? Don't bet on it. Earlier this season, Lidstrom told the Free Press he's very happy with his decision to retire last summer, after 20 seasons with the Wings.

He won four Stanley Cups, seven Norris trophies, and established a legacy as one of the best defensemen to ever play hockey. He and his family now reside in their native Sweden.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

w2j2's avatar

This will be a game worth watching, just to see St. Nick back at the Joe!
If he is introduced to the crowd, the applause may never end!

grin

Posted by w2j2 on 02/13/13 at 02:57 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I wish I had tickets for this game. The only thing that would make it better tonight is if #5 went up next to #19, where it belongs.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/13/13 at 03:19 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

I sure hope Nick gets introduced and a long standing ovation! He will get one from my couch!!  He left such a giant hole everywhere in hockey!

Who can really take Mule’s place with Pav and Bear? Abby apparently but I am not sold on that , yet?  Hope he takes this chance to shine although he has stone hands.

Wonder why Gus didn’t get called up but he is not a “In front of the net” specialist?  Glad to see Eaves drawing in and hope he adds some Zip to 3/4 lines.

I am assuming Cleary will take the the in the goalie’s face on one of the power plays.

Lots of questions as usual.  Deep Six the BLUES!!!!  Huge 2 points as usual.

Nervous already!! Normal I guess!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 02/13/13 at 04:15 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Yeah, I think the roof will come off the Joe.
NBC will eat it up.
I would love to be there.

Posted by w2j2 on 02/13/13 at 04:16 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Forgot, I would rather see Elliott than Allen.  Blues will feed off this and play a more defensive game.  Sort of like the Wings did with Mrazek.  Sort of worries me.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 02/13/13 at 04:19 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

I think Abby might do OK filling in for mule.
He does not have the hands, but he hustles, and he can take a pounding in front of the net.

Posted by w2j2 on 02/13/13 at 04:22 PM ET

Actually, I would’ve liked to have seen Andersson on Zata’s line (along with Brunner on the wing) instead of Cleary.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 02/13/13 at 04:29 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

SYF, I was hoping Clears would go to Z’s line for Mule and Eaves could be put on Pavs line with his speed and shot and being a righty, same hockey sense as Cleary, good anticipation.

Also though, I wouldn’t mind seeing Tatar put on Z’s line.  Energy guy, good speed, tenacious, likes to shoot, gives multiple threats and he’s good with puck retrieval, he’ll do grunt work.  He’s more z’s style than Pav’s I think.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/13/13 at 04:48 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

So Abby get’s the promotion over Sauce and The Andes Mountain? Alright. Sure.

Buckets - Z - Swiss Miss